• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Post your fishing reports for the Backus, Emily, Hackensack, Longville, Outing, and Remer area here. everyone is welcome to post here!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was up last weekend it was very cold -20 and very windy the fishing was as bad as the weather. caught enough to eat i hope this helps.

Fished Jessie Saturday eve, caught plenty of perch and two small walleye.

Fished Kremer Sunday morning, marked one fish, scared it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Marcell and fished turtle and bowstring. Turtle provided me with some small perch and a few tulipe. Bowstring was a fun trip, looking for crappies and found some nice perch and of coarse some real nice 15-16 inch walleyes...all back down the hole but lots of fun. Lakes are in good shape no slush, and a few inches of snow on top. Every where that i fished had a solid 18-20 inches of ice, but always use caution did see some spots that looked iffy.

Was up in outing this weekend with family and went fishing on lawerance lake sat. night at 9:30 just for 3 hrs and my sister catches a nice 10" crappie almost right away and then nothing bit after that, they were there just finicky. so we decided to give it a try for a few ours sunday and got 2 dinky perch and a little crappie left the lake at 4:30 decided to give my gramps lake a try(had not been on it for a while) and in 45min. had 3 real nice 10 and 11" crappies and 3 9"ers in the bucket. me and my cousin kinda laughed cause we should've been out there the hole time. Wish I didn't have to leave at 6:00 or would have left this mornig. cry

• 2 months later...

Its almost that time of the year for the opening of Walleye. We did our annual spring ritual of taking brochures and fish batter around to the resorts yesterday. All the resort owners were pretty optimistic about the opener. The nets were gone Friday out of cutfoot and the fish should be ready to bite. As far as anybody knew there would be no closure of the area around little cutfoot so that will open up that whole area between the channel of williams narrows to cutfoot suix inn. The fish should be out on the big flats by bowens, all over cutfoot and it should be a good bite. Keep the jigs small 1/16th to 1/8 oz, keep it shallow, keep it slow and find some shiners and you should be able to catch some fish this year. The weather looks good so enjoy another opener and be safe

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, fyi it looks like the panfish and bass are in their full prespawm mode right now. My father and I were canoeing/fishing around an unmentionable lake near the Marcell area yesterday and were amazed at the numbers and size of both the bass and panfish we saw so close to shore. The area we saw them best in was a dark calm bay; they were right up in 4 inches of water or less as close to the shoreline as their size would allow them. In areas where the shoreline was marshy and had little channels they were actually back in the brush and would squirt out past us when we nosed our canoe in for a look-see. These fish were not littl'uns either, many were 1.5-2 lbs bass and larger and numbers of hand-sized bluegills. They especially liked some patches of dried reeds from the fall and as we glided past them we could hear and see the reeds shifting and basses and panfish shot out from all sides. We were only fishing for the panfish since the bass were not fair game yet but even then they were finicky as hell from being in shallow water and trying to get a line in the water without alarming them was tough. Good luck if you're going out on the bass opener next weekend!

~Dave

Some friends and I were out chasing walleyes on Moose Lake last night, our annual trip. We fished from about 7pm till 10pm and did OK. We ended up with 6 in the box, and about 15 little ones and a 27" back in the lake. 1/8 oz jig and shiner in about 9 feet of water was best.

My brother and I tried crappie fishing Thursday night, but it was slow, only caught a few small ones.

Brian

How are the lakes around Marcell warming up compared to last year? I'm coming up a week earlier this year (May 30th). Last year we hit the Smallmouth spawn just right. Am I coming up too early this year??

Fished Bowstring on Friday looking for crappie. Water 56-58 deg. Wasnt sure where to fish but checked out the bays and any inlet nook and crannies we could find. Nothing but perch. Walleye were being caught but in the early am.

The smaller lakes were up to 63 deg. The pannies are going real good in the morning and evening. You can see them chasing minnows and bugs in the shallows. There was a mosquito hatch on Saturday also. frown Lot of standing water and full swamps. Its going to be a rough summer for those buggers. eek

I fished Bowstring on Friday and caught 12 eyes in 4 to 12 feet of water but in the wind. Horrible. Fished with two buddies and they could not catch a fish. They were bitting so light felt like touching a weed, then had to let them have line. Small jig, any color, and flat head. Could not get a fish on Sat or Sun after the front came through. Not one crappie in 4 days of fishing. Could anyone post when the Craps start to hit please.

• 3 weeks later...

Deer River, Minnesota, Winnibigoshish and Leech Lake area. Walleye

Fishing On the two big lakes continues to be good to getting better

every day. I fished Leech last Wednesday and caught good numbers of fish

under the slot, plus alot of fish in the slot! It seemed the magic depth

was 15 to 16 foot and again the Northland Fireball Jig tipped with a

shiner was what they really wanted. Lake Winnie continues to produce

good numbers of Walleyes fishing a jig and minnow in 8 to 10 foot of

water. Some days you have to move around a little to find them it seems

but at the end of the day we are usually in pretty good shape. Bait

dealers still have spot tailed shiners left but starting to get low so

that means it wont be long and the go to bait will be a Lindy Rig and

Leech! Good luck and good fishing.

Jeff Skelly

Mnfishing pros guide service

www,[YouNeedAuthorization].com

218-246-8086

Deer River, Minnesota, Winnibigoshish and Leech Lake area. Walleye

Fishing On the two big lakes continues to be good to getting better

every day. I fished Leech last Wednesday and caught good numbers of fish

under the slot, plus alot of fish in the slot! It seemed the magic depth

was 15 to 16 foot and again the Northland Fireball Jig tipped with a

shiner was what they really wanted. Lake Winnie continues to produce

good numbers of Walleyes fishing a jig and minnow in 8 to 10 foot of

water. Some days you have to move around a little to find them it seems

but at the end of the day we are usually in pretty good shape. Bait

dealers still have spot tailed shiners left but starting to get low so

that means it wont be long and the go to bait will be a Lindy Rig and

Leech! Good luck and good fishing.

Jeff Skelly

Mnfishing pros guide service

www,[YouNeedAuthorization].com

218-246-8086

so where are the panfish at in regards to spawning? are they done, not started or what. coming up in 2 weeks would like to know. like to leave them alone till they do there thing. thanks.

Glenn,

The crappies are done for the most part and the bluegills and bass are in the shallows big time!!! We hit Wabana on Sunday afternoon and had a blast with the gills and bass. Not much for size, but my wife and daughter were pulling them in one after another. Water temps were 68-70 in the shallows, but it was flat calm and a clear sky that day.

Brian

With the weather warming up this week we finally had a week where we can take off the ice armor and get into some shorts. I fished Sand and bowstring this last week and a day on Pokegama. The fish have moved deeper in both those lakes down to the first drop to the main lake basin and the humps. I have stilll been using jig and minnow and I have been able to get away with a 1/8 oz since we havent had much wind. The fish have been anywhere from 15-21 ft usually right on the edge of the deeper water. We are almost done with the shiners and soon will be going to leeches and crawlers.

Pokegama was a different story the fish were in the weeds in that 11-15 ft. It wasnt my best day out there mostly northerns with some dandys coming in the boat. The other nice suprise were the nice perch we caught right on top of the flats.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser guide service

218-999-5591

• 2 weeks later...

Deer River, Minnesota- I have not been on Leech in the last week but by

all reports I have heard is that the bite is still decent but the fish

under the slot are a little hard to come by. Lake Winnie continues to

produce! Walleyes can be found one day out deep in 20 to 25 foot of

water and the next day there gone and we have been able to find them

shallow in about 7 foot. In the shallows Rapala's Shad Raps in the #5

size seem to work or a jig and minnow. Panfishing for Crappie and big

Bluegills has also been real good in the shallows. The wind the last two

days has made moving around and going where we need to go a little

tough. Good luck

Heading up to Bowstring Shores, Deer River, in Mid-July (18th), with the whole clan, Daughter & hub, 3 rug-rats and my 36 year partner.

Is Bowstring still active? Pike-Walleye-Crappie??? Any status on bait avail??? Water levels? Suggested lure sizes? Yup, you're right...I'll greatfully taken any info I can get!! ;))))

Just out of curiosity, does Bowstring have a big rock in the middle of the lake, or a sandbar that comes up to "git ya," or any of those wonderful tricks???