• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports

I live about 50 miles from Crane Lake and the gnats are terrible here.  We’re camping on Kab this weekend and definitely bringing a screen tent. Our site will be sheltered from the NW wind, so I’m anticipating a lot of bug bites. 

We’re set up in Kab and so far very few gnats. Of course, that could be due to the 20 mph winds, 50 degree temps, or the rain shower that just went through. 
It’s still good to finally be fishing and camping in Voyageurs again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

agreed flies not bad. The cool nights and the wind knocked them down. fishing not bad water temps between 61 and 64 on Sand Point

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got back from a week on Kabetogama. No gnats on the west end. Hardly a mosquito. Walleyes were plentiful. Weather was great. Dang otters are smart, cleaned out my minnow bucket while we were eating lunch one day. Jig and minnow worked great, 1/8 oz for twenty foot or less and 1/4 oz for over twenty foot.

Edited by Grainbelt

Never leave crawlers or leeches in your boat either. Mink will do the same thing.

• The title was changed to Lake Kabetogama Fishing Reports
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The weather is playing out to be a major factor in fishing success, keeping many anglers either off the lake or hiding in calm areas as high winds are making it difficult to hold in favorite fishing spots. Water temps haven't budged much and are still in the low to mid 60's with some shallow bays seeing low 70's.

Walleyes are extremely scattered throughout Kab. The best bite is still shallow, 5-12 ft. Windblown areas are holding fish, but they are on the move constantly so being mobile and moving frequently is key to putting fish in the boat. While a jig and minnow are still producing, pulling spinners through these areas, especially along weed lines, has been producing and a good way to cover water. We are also seeing walleyes transition to mid lake structure but they are holding in deeper water and not very active except early morning and evenings as they move up to feed. With the high winds not seeming to want to let up, these areas are extremely hard to fish. A couple hot days and lighter winds are in the forecast this week which should help the bite for those wanting to search the areas.

Northern Pike are active and still holding shallow over emerging weed beds. Casting large lures over these areas is producing some nice fish.

Smallmouth Bass are also in shallow and hitting just about anything thrown at them. Look for gradual sloping shorelines and focus on inside turns and boulders. Smallies like to hang out in shaded areas and ambush their prey. I prefer a small to medium Mepps spinner but just about anything with a little flash will draw their attention. On calm days, you can't beat a topwater lure.

Around the area, everything is in summer mode. Trees are in full foliage and wild flowers are emerging making for a great hike in the fresh air. Easy to social distance! Keep your head on a swivel as newborn wildlife are abundant. When the weather permits, sailboats and tubers are out and kayaks and canoes are a common sight.

Here at Gateway, we continue to have daily food specials and of course a great variety of hand scooped ice cream! Bait and tackle. Groceries. Beer and Liquor. Hardware. Deka boat batteries......the list goes on. We have just about anything you need. We also have a couple new faces to greet when you come in so stop on by and say hi!

Have a safe week!

Gateway

• The title was changed to 2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports
  • 4 weeks later...

Heading up to Namakan through Crane tomorrow afternoon.  Any tips on what the walleyes are biting on?  How's the fishing been in general? 

• 4 months later...

Well just reserved our site on Sand Point for May 21. This will be my 38th year to Voyageurs and Sand Point. Started with Larry at Borderland Resort and on Crane Lake. Now Jeff and Lori at Handbergs. The old crew only one remains my father in-law who started it all in the 1950's and in poor health at 90 and others have passed away but the annual trip rolls on with new generations. My son and the new crew been going the past 11 years. This is something we all look forward to and plan.

Guys with the Covid I would recommend if you camp reserve your site soon. The sites re filling fast this year. tight lines, Mark

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Has anyone ever made the hike from Browns Bay on Sand point to lake lucielle. Any info on the alke would be great we are planning a hike this yr to the lake

Edited by imhatz
add

• 8 months later...

Hello Gents, heading up Aug 26. I see that fishing has been good on Crane. We are staying on Sand Point. Top water hot for smallies now ? We target pike and throw everything else back. Been going there since 1981. Any updates appreciated would like a crappie for a replica. Any ideas ?  Thanks tight lines, mark

• 7 months later...

April2, 2023 Think Spring and looking forward to a good year. Planning annual trip to Crane/Sand Point This year in June. This will be year 42 for me and year 13 with the new group. The original crew have all stopped 14 years ago. We did a hike to Lake Lucille last year from Browns Bay in Sand Point what an adventure. Ready to try my new baits that I have been making and painting. Something the fish have not seen before should be interesting. tight lines people

April2, 2023 Think Spring and looking forward to a good year. Planning annual trip to Crane/Sand Point This year in June. This will be year 42 for me and year 13 with the new group. The original crew have all stopped 14 years ago. We did a hike to Lake Lucille last year from Browns Bay in Sand Point what an adventure. Ready to try my new baits that I have been making and painting. Something the fish have not seen before should be interesting. tight lines people

Has anyone ever been to O Leary lake looks like a short hike from Sand Point