Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Joe

Bemidji Area Fishing Reports

theharvester

Lotta perch but alotta sorting

Chris Haley

Fishing is getting better and better.  You can pretty much find fish everywhere now.  The cabbage weeds are coming up fast and holding fish in that 8 - 9ft range.  The break lines are holding fish in 12 - 14ft, and they are even out on the humps in 20+ft.  The shallow fish are mixed in with a great mix of quality perch right now also.  Caught a limit of walleyes and added 8 10+" perch to bag as well.  Makes for some good eats. 

• Like 2

Chris Haley

Well went out for 2 hrs last night, and with that wind.  Hammered em in 5ft of water.  Jigs and minnows.  Get out this weekend and catch a few for yourself.  See on the water.

• Like 3

Chris Haley

Fishing was really good this weekend.  If you're not having much success, try slowing down and down sizing.  Yesterday you didn't feel the bite.  They were just there.  If you set the hook too fast, you got your minnow back with the skin pulled down.  If you held for just a second then set the hook.  Success!!

• Like 2

Chris Haley

Well after spending all day Wed, Thursday, and Friday morning dialing in the fish for the Kraus Anderson.  I blow my motor on the way back to the access Friday at 11.  I call my partner and ask him if his boat is ready to go for the tournament.  Without even thinking about electronics I show up and realize that he has lowrance.  My birds won't hook into his boat.  So I get to try and find all the special spots on spots with WITHOUT MY GPS.  Needless to say, I got to watch people do well on the same spots I would have fished if we had been in my boat.  We caught over 40 walleyes Saturday.  8ft was the deepest we fished.  One spot was a fish on just about every cast.  It was only 4ft.  Wind and weeds were the key for the weekend.  Jigs and shiners was the presentation we went with.  Live bait rigs and leeches caught most of the bigger fish weighed in Saturday.  They were still caught in 8ft around weed patches though.  If we get a good wind the walleyes will move shallower as the baitfish are blown in closer.  I looked for fish deeper all three days and couldn't find anything worth mentioning.  That was the general consensus at the rules meeting also.  Fishing is awesome right now.  Get on out and enjoy our great outdoors.  See you on the water(soon I hope). 

• Like 2

Chris Haley

Spent last weekend guiding for "Fishing has no Boundaries".  Since my motor is not ready yet, I borrowed a pontoon from a friend and loaded Roger, (the guy I normally take in my boat) along with Jason from SD and Dennis from here in town.  I must say that it was a little bit of a learning curve to drift/back troll the weed edges with a 25ft pontoon.  But I figured it out and the wind did me right.  We caught Perch, Walleyes, and Northerns all in 5 - 8ft of water.  The perch and Northerns were taken on jigs and minnows, while the bulk of the walleyes were on gold spinners and leeches.  We caught fish in every area we fished.  The most important factor however was to look for cabbage and stay mobile.  The nature of this event is to put handicapped people on fish.  So whenever we caught fish, we would radio in so other boats could capitalize also.  The bad thing about that is that I was drifting and constantly moving and when I would radio in, people would come over and try to anchor up their pontoons.  With the fish scattered, this greatly reduced their success rate, while cutting off my drifting.  This is why I ended up catching fish on multiple spots.  The good news is that depending on wind direction and the info I have given here, you can go out on Bemidji over the holiday weekend and get on fish just about anywhere on the lake.  Since I don't have my boat I did not try to fish any break line stuff.  I didn't have a depth finder on the pontoon ether.  I just had one of my Humminbird's I rigged to use for a GPS w/lakemaster chip.  I talked with another boat captain that had cruised over the break lines and saw multiple marks in 15 - 18ft.  I would live bait rig those fish with a spinner and a leech if I have my boat back by the weekend.  Good luck out there and have a great weekend!!

• Like 4

Tofishem

Good work and great report Chris. I'm sure you much appreciated for your efforts!

Edited by Tofishem
word
  • Like 2

Chris Haley

My boat is still down but was at the state park all weekend talking with guys that were able to fish.  I had told three or four groups of my thoughts and info.  Everybody was able to go out and troll over/in/through weeds and pick up walleyes.  Another bit of advice is that when a patch of weeds gets few boats on it, the fish will push off to the outside of the boats.  When this happens just move outside and troll around the perimeter of boats and you should do just fine.

• Like 3

Chris Haley

Been guiding a lot lately.  The bottom bouncer bite is hot.  Caught fish at 10, 20, and 30ft on spinners and crawlers off humps and shoreline breaks.  Also have been trolling jigs with spinners and white twister tails on top of flats and humps in 7 - 9ft and doing well.  The Northern's were on fire yesterday afternoon with 13 in 2 1/2 hrs hitting the boat.  All but 5 still out there.  The biggest swimming away were 25 1/2", 26" and a 29 1/2" fish.  I have a question for you all out there.  How big would a muskie have to be to think a 29 1/2" Northern would be a meal?  She was shredded down both sides of her body.  I felt sorry for her when I let her go.  Anyway the dog days are here, but with a little bit of info you can go out and get on some fish.  Have fun and good luck.  

• Like 4

jesseypederson

Hey Bud.

Great recap. You're a beauty.

Chris Haley

Well made it out to Bemidji looking for walleyes on Saturday.  I think the storm that blew through Friday night was playing games with them.  Found lots of fish in that 17 - 24ft range.  Was jigging and getting hit quite a bit, they were just coming up and popping it.  I would hook them for a second then they would come off.  Every once in a while they would get a touch more active we would catch a few.  Then they would go back to just popping it.  My wife was using a live a bait rig and a leech and catching one here and there.  The water temp was still 70.8 degrees.  Perch were pretty active in those depths also.   

• Like 4

Rick

The panfish are biting: