• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

How is fishing up there mid-june? We are coming up to do some Walleye and/or Crappie fishing and I was just wondering if we should put on Leech, Woman or where??

A group of us are buzzing over to Leech Tommorrow. Probably launch out of Stony. I haven't fished that lake in years. Any body want to share what is working there now. Thanks.

Heading up next thursday for 4 days of fishing. just wondering if the fish are still mainly hitting jigs & minnows, or has the bite switched.

It was pretty slow last night. I didn't get out until about 7:30 so I didn't have too much time to try a couple spots that I wanted to. I fished Stony Point area and picked up a few smaller fish, but nothing like opener weekend. It seems like the fish moved a little deeper than a couple weeks ago. I was also reading a lot of fish on my electronics, but getting them to bite with the cold front that came through was another story. Hopefully if I get done with work early enough, I can give you a better report tonight.

Well it is time to start fishing hard for the next week. Have to find where the big eyes are hanging. Tournament next weekend. My dad went out yesterday and only picked up a few. The bite has been pretty solid since opener, but there have been a few slow days where the fish just won't bite. I will be out all weekend and give you guys an update on how it was.

Hey leechpro I'm heading up to fish next week. Just wondering if you have any info on where to find any big eyes. I'm NOT fishing the turney if you dont want to post on here, send me an e-mail. or if i find some when i'm up there i can call you and give you the info if i get into the big ones

thanks Grant

[email protected]

Well the bite was a bit tough this weekend. We picked up a fair amount of fish, but they were either too small or too big. We did get into some really nice perch which was fun for a while. The most of our success was not on a shiner...go figure. I was out by myself for a quick spin and forgot the bait bucket so I threw on a lindy's Munchie and who would have guessed that would have been the ticket. A minute after throwing that on I hooked into a 25" walter and it produced 5 more walleyes that day. I was "swimming" it with some hefty jerk-baits to get them to strike.

We did awesome on Friday when the wind was blowing a bit stronger. No problem getting good eater fish. 6 of us had our limits within 2 hours. Spent the rest of the day trying to find bigger fish, but no luck. Biggest was 22 inches. Lots of perch also, some dandies. A few Norhterns. Lindy with a shiner. South wind so we fished the north side. When the wind picked up so did the fish. A great day on the water.

Was out this weekend on Saturday during the day and Sunday evening. Plenty of fish, and suprisingly a lot of fish in the 8-10 inch range which is a really good sign for the future. We did get our limit of eaters, but trolling at night I was suprised to see no big fish. Usually you can catch as many 20plusers as you want but we didn't catch one. Did catch a lot of eater fish though. Will be out this week on Wednesday, Thursday, and maybe Friday before the tournament. I will let you know how I do.

i heard the bite was on saturday morning when the wind was blowing. kinda slow the rest of the weekend. opener was alot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a question for the Leech Lake die-hards. Not asking where to fish or anything like that, but is there a tried-and-true color that usually outperforms all other colors on Leech? Fished Lake of the Woods a couple of times and gold and pink glow are the colors of choice a majority of the time. The gold JB Lure's Jig Eye that I originally bought for that lake has seemed to be the color of choice at several other lakes I've fished recently, including Devils Lake (even though I was told chartreause or fire tiger is the color to go with there). Any help would be much appreciated. Have a trip coming up in mid-July and just trying to get some of the gear stocked up now!

Green with a red hook, but more importantly is that have you fish under your boat!!

Thanks much for the info. I actually have some jigheads matching your color. Maybe I'm actually all set.

Thanks Again "Gofishleech".

Just got back from a long weekend at Leech yesterday, and the fishing was great! We caught a lot of fish in the slot and enough eaters to have a good fish fry and bring a couple back. Lindy rig with a leech seemed to work the best between 10-15 FOW. I don't know the exact count, but I know we caught 65+ walleye between 5 guys over the weekend.

Just got back from a long weekend at Leech yesterday, and the fishing was great! We caught a lot of fish in the slot and enough eaters to have a good fish fry and bring a couple back. Lindy rig with a leech seemed to work the best between 10-15 FOW. I don't know the exact count, but I know we caught 65+ walleye between 5 guys over the weekend.

Final tally for walleyes for the weekend was 80 walleyes. Tons between 18 to 25. Boy were those fish healthy. Glad to see Leech is back. Had a blast and can't wait to get back up there!

Staying on Moonlight Bay, on the West side in mid July. What would be some of the reasonably close more main spots within say 5 miles of it I should target?

I was on the lake once for a day probably 12-13 years ago with somebody else. I have no idea what part of the lake we even fished, it was terrible fishing that day.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

if you are staying on moonlight bay its hard to pass up sand point in july and very close. otherwise you have cedar point that can be great if there is NO wind, its very hard to fish it well if there is wind. and dont leave out old faithful Pint point. good luck

Fished Leech this weekend. We had great luck! We hung around the end of the Stoney point rock bar most of the time and had the best luck. We found nice size fish off the bar jigging a minnow in about 18FOW durring the daylight, then moved into 14FOW in the afternoon. After dark we did well running the 15 foot edge of the bar with deep-rapalas. Most fish were in the 20-24 inch class or in the 10-12 inch range... which I'm excited to know for the future! We managed all our keepers too. It's great to see Leech is back in great shape! Hope to make it out again soon!

I'm going to be up at Leech the week of July 20-25. I'm not very familiar with the lake having only been there once before. I have gone off an printed the best versions of contour lake maps off the internet (DNR Website, etc.) to help get a better understanding of the lake. We're staying at Arneson's Cove on the south end of Steamboat Bay. About an hour pontoon ride to Walker Bay and a half hour by boat. I hear a lot about Stoney Point, Pine Point & Goose Island. The maps I have don't point out any of these features. Can anyone give advice or have any good pointers on available maps (I'm willing to pay for the maps if necessary) that might show these waypoints? Any help is much appreciated. Hope to get my nephew and brother into some fish.

Thanks much!!

Lakers, welcome to the forum. For a lake the size of Leech, the free DNR maps are of minimal help in my opinion. If you don't have the GPS chip, I would buy a Lakemaster map.

Thanks much for the tip Lindy. I've heard the Lakemaster maps are pretty nice. Would they show the land features/waypoints like I was asking above?

Thanks again for the help!!

Thanks for the info. Big Fish. I will definitely get one.

I will make sure I post how the trip goes.

Thanks again!!

MNfishtrapper,

First time back on leech in 15 years and going up on Friday (6/26) and will be fishing that stony point area. I don't want all your secrets but am curious if you tried leeches, crawlers, or mainly minnows (fatheads, shiners, or which?). Any color preference on the raps? Any luck in the morning?

Thanks a ton...

First time back on leech in 15 years and going up on Friday (6/26) and will be fishing that stony point area.

You may see Lindy Rig and I out there!!

MNfishtrapper,

First time back on leech in 15 years and going up on Friday (6/26) and will be fishing that stony point area. I don't want all your secrets but am curious if you tried leeches, crawlers, or mainly minnows (fatheads, shiners, or which?). Any color preference on the raps? Any luck in the morning?

Thanks a ton...

Was up this past weekend and caught fish on a jig and minnow, and also caught some fish using a lindy and a leach. Biggest was 27" on a leach.

Wallter - I was up at Leech Friday of last week and Sat a.m. I would say leeches outfished shiners. We also fished crawlers, but only 1 walleye and a few perch on those. We fished mostly Stony, Pine and Ottertail Points. Caught some - but if was to go back this weekend I might test more of the midlake structure for potentially better numbers. We also had a bit of a weather system we drove up in on Thurs - so that may have played a role. We fished mostly in the 14-18 ft range. Following one 18 foot contour line resulted in a 17, a 21 and a 23. That was definitely a highlight. It is an awesome lake to fish.