• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Click Here. :) 

Book a Leech Lake Guide Service Trip - Click Here

Go ahead and post your Leech Lake fishing reports and conditions in this thread. Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN area fishing reports also.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Leech Lake Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well :D 

Thanks.

I ended up going up and found some perch. Tried Walker Bay but the fear of being stuck in slush or having the sleds freeze up we limited ourselves to a few stops and did not find the walleyes we hoped for.

We did the best out by Grand Vu and Goose Island. Lots of perch but nothing really jumbo you like to see after a 3 hour drive up there! Green jigs with fatheads produced the most fish, but not the best size.

Truck travel was very very limited, sleds were the way to go.

Anyone find any piggie perch?

• 2 weeks later...

i have not been out for a couple of weeks!!!! but some of my buddys made it up there last sat. they went out of grand vu in the morning and early after noon. Caught a few small perch. then they headed to walker bay for the rest of the afternoon and hammerd the eyes.

Anyone been after the crappies on any smaller lakes in the area?

Just starting to get out. It has been tough to get out and when you do who wants to stand in slush when it is -20?? Most of the slush is gone, a little water comes up when you drill holes. There have been a few locals taking waxies and crappie minnows with them now instead of fatheads and shiners. Leech has been doing so well with the 'eyes and Perch that most are going there. There are roads plowed and it makes it easy to get around. I suspect this weekend will get the panfishing jump started.

Was on leech Thursday. Caught 8 perch per 3 people. Roads only went out 3/4 mile out of grand vu. There was 1/2 dozen group's out and none did !!!!!!!!!!!!. D.N.R. checked us and said that it has been slow all over the area. Only snowmobile travel out farther, and they did not do well. I think you will have to really travel & work to get fish out on main basin.

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the latest on the perch bite? I heard some reports of jumbos coming out.

Was up there this last weekend.There were 5 of us.On Friday we found them in 27 feet of water.Best lure was a small orange and green cast master with a minnow head.Ended up with 65 between 11 and 14 inchs.We were out there from 9:30 till 6:00. Best bite was from 4:00 till 5:30.We were between Pine and Stony north of the group of brown fish houses probably a 1/4 mile.If you were not getting bites tap the bottom a couple of times and let it rest on the bottom for a couple of seconds.When you lifted it up slowly they would nail it hard. Saturday was another story.We caught 45. Travel on the lake was good just had to slow down when crossing old tracks.About lost my front teeth when I hit the one just a little hard.

Good luck out there.Just remember it take a big dog to pee in a high bush.

• 2 weeks later...

Zero Degree Ice guys were up there last weekend. Had a great time and found the jumbo perch. 10 to 13 inchers. Tried goose and that was a waste of time. Caught nice perch over by roosevelt. Used the GNG to glow our jigs during light hours and then towards the night. Worked well. Wax worms and larve. What a great weekend.

ZDIT

3 of us were up on boy lake on sat, did very well. We all got our 20 sunfish, real nice ones too. Bigger ones seemed to bite after 2 or so. got a few bonus crappies as well, couple 14.5 inchers, and a few jumbo perch. pretty good day of jiggin.

I was out this weeekend with my kids and did pretty well. We took our 20 perch, all 10-12 inches. Did some crappie fihing as well and took 20 of those as well. Everyone I spoke with said they were getting fish. They are not neccesarrily jumping into the pail, but I know my kids and I had a blast.

• 3 weeks later...

I am heading to leech for the opener for the first time since 2002. I am staying on Minnesota Island and am wondering where the best place would be to find some eyes. Thanks

Hit the mounds on the east shore of Steamboat. You can't miss it. Plenty of boats will be there.

The mounds. That's too close to the landing, I always thought you had to run to the other end of the lake, like boy bay or federal dam?? crylaugh

The Mounds is good. Also, Pine Point and the flats east of Goose. There will also be boats off Little Hardwood near the meadows in Sucker Bay.

that sounds great, Have you guys fished leech the past few years, is the walleye fishing getting better. we are heading up on friday mornin hoping to catch a few crappies for dinner.

do you have better luck in the mornin or evenin. What do you suggest using for bait.

Last year, throughout the lake, the bite was more of a typical day bite. I had some of my better days from 10-1. I would use the smallest jig possible tipped with a shiner for early season fish or a #5 Shad Rap. I have had some pretty decent evening bites though as well. FISH THE WIND!!!! Especially if there has been a consistant wind for a couple of days, those fish will be stacked up on the windy side of the structure. If the wind switches from the day before, a few fish my still be hanging around the opposite side of the windy structure. Either way, use electronics and look for fish and more importantly, baitfish. Good Luck!

thanks lake doctor. the last few years we where up there, as im sure you know the fishin was terrible. we really love it up there and enjoy the town and the lake. we would really love to catch some nice fish so thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Paint it black and yellow and put strobe lights on it! You could put green food coloring in the water around you. Make sure you wear a hazmat suit as well. I bet you would have the whole lake to yourself.

How is the ice looking on the main lake and walker bay?

Now wouldn't that be nice!! If you see a boat with a couple of guys wearing masks, wave and say Hi! but don't get too close. Might be a stress free opener? grin

• 2 weeks later...

Did great opening weekend. What are the latest reports from the week? Any big changes in the bite? Coing up on Monday for a week.

Looking for some helpfull information. I was going to the Boundary Waters camping, portaging and fishing with my sons in mid June. We have changed our minds and have decided to put fishing first and then camping. We are looking at tent camping somewhere around Leech Lake. I have never fished Northern Minnesota and was wondering if anyone would have any helpfull suggestion,i.e, campgrounds or better lakes to fish.

Try the Army Corps campground in Federal Dam (Leech Lake Recreation Area). Great access to Portage Bay and you can also catch fish from shore below the dam. Reservations at Rec.gov or give them a call 218-654-3145.