• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Joe

river rat - I agree you don't "need" live bait, but in my experience live bait catches more and bigger fish this time of year. There were days this fall when a 4" mega tube kept up,but the fish tended to be smaller (still good fish, but smaller). Do you have hair jig recommendations (brand, color, and retrieve)? Thanks.

Musk,have not been there, other than that time. Where have you been? See you havn't posted in a looooooong time. Thought you moved out of the area. Anyway, When water levels allow, I take my jonboat out in the Elk River area. Otherwise I hit the 'Croix, or Liitle Falls to Royalton stretch. Take care, maybe we"ll have to get out sometime.

Tuna, for hair jigs you really can't beat jimmy D's river bugs (google em) I tie my own and really like em but Jimmy D's are hard to beat. As far as retreive it varies, lots of times I do a drag down a seam controlling the boat speed with the bow mount (keep your boat in the current right next to the seam). Other times its just a simple pitch and let it settle to the bottom and a very slow retreive back to the boat. When they are really finnicky its short 1-2" pops of the rod tip letting the bait settle back down and sit there. I have had very few days where live bait out fishes artificials on the river. I also think its quite the opposite on big fish, but thats just my experience

Thanks river rat. I will buy some. How about weight and color? I have been trying to learn river fishing for the past few years and have wanted to give hair jigs a try. I definitely prefer artificials to live bait when they work the same.

Yes sir that River rat must be one heck of a lot better than I at stickin them eyes wit the artificials. I havent gotten a thing in the last week or so on anything but creek chubs or fatheads and even this method has not been pulling the same numbers as it was a couple weeks back. I thinkin my days on the river for the year are growing short.

90% of the time I throw 3/16 or 1/8oz sometimes you have to go heavier.

Developing confidence in what you are throwing is key, I started fishing hair jigs awhile ago, I have a ton of confidence in them. In other words 90% of the time if I am not getting bit on them its me, changing something like weight, color, retreive, is going to get you fish. SO I end up sticking with them and figuring it out, that and I don't carry live bait with me. I am in no way saying I have the river eyes figured out, but if I am lucky enough to get on top of them, they can be caught with hair or ringworms.

Has this forum gotten so stuffy one can't give a tounge & cheek ribbing to a good friend?

What a shame...

No, exact opposite actually, I just deleted it to get a rise out fof ya grin Cause I remember how much you adore censorship grin

smile OK, you got me.

I looked below and saw you're still mod. Man, isn't that the longest you've ever been able to hold a job?

Just waitng around till they hand out the free River Pros for staff.... shouldn't be long now, I hear there builder is a real neat guy

Does anyone get out much south of 169 to the Coon Rapids Dam this time of year? I typically log most of my time on the river north of Elk River. Just curious if anyone has any insight on targeting fish in the deeper slower stretch of river. I live in Anoka now and would like to learn somthing new.

I spent sometime this afternoon just south of the 169 bridge. While the sun was out the bite was pretty good. As soon as the sun dipped below the tree line it was over. I missed a couple eyes that shredded my minnows and landed 8 scrappy smallmouth. All caught on jigs and minnows. Water temp at 41. Beautiful afternoon.

The river was a zoo today! People everywhere. That's ok though. Kind of nice seeing people get out on such a gorgeouse day.

Lots of fish biting too. Nothing too big, but sure beats sitting in side.I got this about a week ago. Just dumb luck. He ate a smally I'd hooked. Spit it out. Nailed the smally again in the air! Smally escapes and the bugger's stuck in the corner of his mouth. Too fun!

PB150021.jpg

PB150029.jpg

PB150012.jpg

NICE!! Was out in Monti today, trolling motor broke after 5 minutes, was relagated to one small area and an anchor, still caught a few but not like we should have

Hey guys, Im planning on fishing tommorow in the Elk River area. Problem is, I will be shore fishing. Any tips to catch pike, eyes, smallies, anything? Im not picky. But I have really been struggling to catch much of anything for a while now. Thanks.

Try a jig and plastic 2-5" long.

Bright color, bright day, dark color, dark day, experiment.

Make sure it's just heavy enough to stay on the bottom.

Then pop it.

Thanks fishface. The only thing I managed to catch from shore today was a big ol carp. Man was that thing fun to reel in though. I couldnt care less what species I catch, they are all fun. The carp went probably 10 pounds.

If you can figure out where those rocks stop on the bottom you'll find fish. When the waters dropping, when it's on the rise they'll be right up against shore, in inches of water. use just enough wieght to keep it at the bottom. Not too much, not too little. If pop'n the jig doesn't work try dragging it slooowly on the bottom, try let'n it sit, try shake'n it, Bring LOTS though. when you snag, just break it off and tie a new one on. Be persistant and when you catch one, remember what you did to get him to bite, and do it again. Good luck, It really is fun when they start going.

• 4 weeks later...

whats up guys I grew up in monticello living right on the mississippi and fished the river every chance I got. I still visit my parents at least once a year and of course through a line in a couple times while im there. I live in pennsylvania now, right on the Susquehanna river. If it is possible the fishing here is just as good as my mississippi was. I am purely a sport fishermen so smallies are always my target. 19 years living on the mississippi gave me 4 fish over 20inches and in only 5 months living on the susquehanna has gave me 7 over 20inches. As it is everywhere fall and winter fishing brings out the hogs and I was just wondering with me returning home for the holdidays if my techniques i learned on the susquehanna will work on the mississippi or at the very least what is working on the mississippi as of right now? I know that live bait is hard to beet with the cold water but I generally stay away from that approach and seeing that I have always been a shore fishermen I dont like to drag a bucket of minnows with me. I have had great success on the susquehanna fishing spider jigs or gonzo grubs with a football head jig, 4' inch stick worms, hair jigs, rapala x-rap slashbaits with long pauses, and jigs with a 3inch plastic shad. I mean just by appearance the rivers look very similar and I catch the fish in the same places. I have found the fish in the slowest moving deepest parts in the winter on the susquehanna and is that where I will find them in the mississippi? Sorry I kind of rambled on but just want to catch some xmas smallies, any help will be appreciated thanks!

Yes you'll catch bass, Might lose a few jigs, but that's the price of rocks. I'm hoping for a little warm up. 25 or better no wind a little sun...

Just like a trip to the tropics

Thanks for the reply but should i use hair jigs then? or a plastics? Any suggestions on where to try, Slow deep water?

I like the slower water. Where I fish there really isn't any depth. I think three to four feet is the deepest I reach. But, the deeper the better. Rocks don't seem to be as big a deal in the winter but they are hard to get completly away from. I exclusivly fly fish. Hair works. I have a feeling I would do better on plastic, but I like the flyrod and my own flies at the moment. Haven't caught that many 20" but plenty over 16".

I'm kind of a numbers nut.

Fishface, could you send me an email so that I can ask you a question about fly fishing in general, not about locations. I fish the river often with spinning tackle and would like to start fly fishing it, but my experience is only with trout and trout waters. If you don't mind, please reply to:

duckhunter0434 at yahoo dot com

I am thinking of taking a friend and his wife ice fishing around Monticello on the River in a few weeks. . However, I have never fished that stretch of water during the hard water period. He lives in Milaca so it is close to him.

What are ice conditions like? Where can I get access? and what might I expect to catch? He and his wife are mostly into panfish? However, I am sure they would not mind a walleye or a bonus pike. Do they fish this stretch of river and if so where in Monticello? Is there a biat shop in town you can recommend? Any info would be greatly appreciated?

This couple have never ice fished before and I would like to introduce them to one of the greatest sports I know of!

Thanks;

Uncle Kes

No fishable Ice I know of on the river untill you get down towards Elk river back waters, river ice is pretty scary if you ask me. Lots of good safe fishable lakes in the area though. Guess that's where I'd be looking for panfish. Sarah, by Rockford, Bebee, Charlet, Dean, Buffalo, Pelican (kinda fished out), Maple, Mary, Clearwater, and, many more. Up towards Millaca you might have luck on Green, Blue, Spectical, or head over to Rush, Lots of good panfish potential. Good luck out there. Be safe.

There is no fishable ice anywhere in this stretch, don't do it period, if you want to ice fish the river go up past St Cloud. The river fishing everyone is discussing is open water around the nuke plant area. The river south of St Cloud is to unpredictable, shallow fast and south of Monti is a no go for ice.