Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Joe

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Tom Sawyer

Patty and I found 4 on Monday afternoon in your "Lucky 15" spot eyeguy, along with several decent smallies, and a big carp that ran up river on her line 75yards. One eye was a 20"er. The river is getting high and muddy again with more rain coming. Turned to chocolate milk, bummer.....

Wish I knew how to post photos from her phone, that carp was a river monster.

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 3:39 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

Hit 2 spots again today to look for eyes, still none at these spots but plenty bass around.

Only found 2 good walleye today on the big muddy. Try looking to back waters, and deep eddies. Bright plastics tipped with meat. Spot 75 was best.

Nhamm

Great report, seems like a pretty good night to me!

eyeguy 54

WINDY today but got out for a couple hours. :)  30 inch northern looked all spawned out.  got a few dandy bass. The last smally looks like it ate a duck! LOL 

522a.jpg

522b.jpg

522c.JPG

• Like 4

JeremyCampbell

Nice bass Eyeguy.:)

I can imagine that Northern was fun peeling out line and all on the yak lol.

Hit the miss on my way home.Was curious what was hanging out by a drain I often fished in the past.Found a few typical average sized bass and a sucker.Way to kill 15 minutes on my way home from work lmao.I love it:)

20170522_184437.jpg

• Like 4

JeremyCampbell

I guess the fish didnt mind my painted hands:grin:

20170523_192642.jpg

20170523_190310.jpg

• Like 2

eyeguy 54

get any on the walls?? ;)

• Like 2

Rick G

20170525_101739.thumb.jpg.a8b9603808110eca7ba998411ef4c8b2.jpg

20170525_113551.jpg

• Like 3

eyeguy 54

nice fishies! 

eyeguy 54

Brutal paddle into the wind this morning.  Not a lot of fish but 1 dandy. 

IMG_2998.JPG

• Like 4

JeremyCampbell

In my travels in a few towns over the weekend,these little guys just cant seem to stay away lol

20170603_125545.jpg

• Like 3

Rick G

Walleye time

20171017_153740.jpg

20171012_201846.jpg

20171012_173352.jpg

• Like 4

MinnowBuckets

Those are some nice looking river walleyes!

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

Mmmmm

IMG_3681.JPG

• Like 2

eyeguy 54

:)

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

• Like 1

MinnowBuckets

AC9BE234-2A81-46B4-AF69-77BCA34E17DA.jpeg

• Like 2

eyeguy 54

CPR time. 

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

• Like 1

Stick in Mud

What does CPR stand for....Catch, "Phillet," and Release? (regarding the walleye only, of course)  :)

• Haha 1

eyeguy 54

@Stick in Mud  I gots ta leave some for you and @Rick G. :):)  pig bass were fun today. 

Stick in Mud

Tough to catch 'em when you keep snagging trees.....  ;)

eyeguy 54

I got 2 yesterday on that nice orange jig I found in the tree branches... LOL 

Rick G

Andi and I scored a few yesterday:D

20171023_133747(0).jpg

• Like 3

eyeguy 54

might need a white jig today to blend in... 

Rick G

Yesterday was last day on river for me.... fishing was pretty slow, still managed to hook a few nice ones

20171026_105310(0).jpg

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Hit the ice for the first time today about 6 inches of ice and lots of slush 3-5 inches deep. The snitch handled the work load with amazing results. The busy end was the smallest pug bug with a maki mino the crappies were racing up am crushing it. The gills would come up slowly but would eat it. Had a 3 to 4 pound walleye break me off in the top of the hole.

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temps are hovering around 48 degrees and fall fishing is phenomenal! Walleyes are biting anywhere from 14 to 30ft with jigging being the most effective method. Crappies are continuing to bite around sunken trees and deep holes with a good amount of perch mixed in. Anglers have had success trolling for large pike and muskies with jigging also bringing some to the boat. 

We are getting fish houses ready for the 2017-18 ice fishing season and are very excited for hard water!

We recommending checking availability for winter ASAP!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
       Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are slowly falling, with surface temps in the high 40's early in the day and ending in the low 50's in the afternoon.

Here in Minnesota, fishing has been great. A jig and minnow set up is the top producer with fish showing preference for orange or chartreuse. Big pike have been caught on the jig and trolling minnow baits.

Canadian fishing is consistently putting more crappies and perch in the well. These pan fish will take shiners and sometimes favor them to a fathead or plastic. Fish are HUNGRY and are well fed, a lot of thick fish with full stomachs.  24-32ft has been the favored depth within the last week.  

With water temps falling and the new moon looming, expect to see more large predator fish this week!
      Sunset Lodge

• MinnowBuckets
      By MinnowBuckets
      Hi all. I am new to the forum, but not to the area. Who are the folks on here that like to target smallies on the Mississippi (and tribs)? 
      The last few years I have really enjoyed fishing smallmouth bass in the St. Cloud, Sauk Rapids, and Sartell stretches of the sippi. Anybody getting out for them yet this fall? How is the action for you? Not looking for your secrets (I have plenty of my own), just wanting folks to chime in that share a passion for fishing this awesome river!
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      10.9.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temps are still hovering in the mid 50’s.

Jig and a minnow/shiner will fill your live well in Minnesota. Areas of best success, have been between island or high currents spots with depths ranging from 13-16’ or 22-26.’ Fish are really hungry and are packing on the pounds before ice season!

Canadian walleye fishing is also outstanding. Orange, pink or chartreuse with a minnow/shiner have been effective off of points at depth of 18-26.’  We have also experienced a lot of perch this week, limits of crappies when targeted, the occasional pike and muskies on the jig.

Musky action on shallow reef tops has slowed as fish are moving out to deeper waters, trolling cranks or jigging big rubber is common practice now. Many small mouth have been seen this week with wounds from predatory fish. 

Less than two weeks left of open water fishing at Sunset Lodge, we have some availability remaining before we close down for the season on October 22! 

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      The water temps are dropping and the fishing is really heating up. Surface temperatures are starting in the low 50’s and reaching mid 50’s by afternoon.
      Walleye fishing in Minnesota has been phenomenal. The best fishing is happening close to the resort on a jig and minnow. We have had non-guided boats setting fish counts of over 100! Current areas between islands and near holes are HOT with good numbers of slot fish and perch to be had.
      Canadian fishing is excellent as well. Really nice limits of crappies, perch and walleye this week. Crappie location can be simplified by a guide or try known spots with classic structure, orange jig and minnow has been the top producer.
      Nice muskies have been boated while trolling and while jigging for walleye. 
      We plan to close for the season on October 21st. 
      We hope to see you soon! 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Water temps are hovering in the low 60’s despite the very fall like weather we are experiencing. 

The scenic Canadian shore lines are coming to life with various critters. Otter, bear and more making preparations for the coming winter.

Walleye fishing in Canada is excellent with a jig and minnow or shiner. The most productive environment has been gaps at 15-18’ with plenty of current present. Good numbers of perch are being caught off deep edges or reefs at 30’ or more. Crappies are a little more difficult this week, the best chances are on a light set up.

Around Minnesota, walleyes can still be had with a crankbait but favored methods are switching over to a jig tipped with a shiner on main lake points between 20 and 24’. 

Muskies are moving deeper with anglers transitioning from casting to trolling. There is still time to boat a big fall fish!

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.18.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the Northwest Angle!
      This week we experienced temps in the low 60’s and a lot of wind. Surface water temps have dropped to the upper 50’s making it to the low 60’s by evening. Fall foliage is in effect and fishing is phenomenal!
      Minnesota walleyes can be located rather quickly with a Rapala or good electronics, then jigged up with pink/white or gold, tipped with a shiner or fathead anywhere from 17-24ft, shallower in the evening.
      Canadian walleyes are being caught by crappie anglers. Many crappies are being found schooled off of larger protruding points, fooled by a jig and minnow setup. The biggest walleyes are still being caught by Rapalas in 10-22’, including our biggest walleye of the week; a dandy 29.”
      Big fish were falling to jerk baits early in the week, with blade baits bringing more fish to the boat recently. Traditional shallow, wind-blown rocks with access to deep water nearby have been the most productive spots. The largest guest fish this week was a beautiful 50” Muskie with a couple more at or near 4 feet.
      We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Fishing Canadian waters has produced numbers of fish including crappies! Crappies have been found near underwater trees and timber. The walleye bite has been great with limits coming in, as well as many larger fish over 24 inches. Areas producing the best include Massacre Island, Tug Channel, Skeet Island and Monkey Rocks, fishing on reefs and underwater humps from 24-30 feet of water.

Stateside, walleye fishing has been excellent from Oak to Little Oak Island and Dawson Island pulling spinners in the mud or jigging reefs in 26-30 feet. Lots of perch have been mixed in with walleye limits.

The musky bite has really heated up from the cold front that passed through recently. With air temps increasing to the low 80’s this week and water temps in the mid to high 60’s it looks like the action will remain strong.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sean Maday
      By Sean Maday
      I built a simple website to deliver constant National Weather Service updates about the weather and water conditions on Lake of the Woods.
      http://www.lowmn.com
      I would love feedback! What else should I add?
      Happy fishing.
    • Spearing Machine
      I figured I would start up a new thread for us to use for the winter now that things are starting to set up and guys may be starting to creep out on the bays and smaller water.   I did some more poking around on Pike Bay this morning and I don't have anything much new to report. We've got less than an inch of fluffy snow on the ice and things healed up after the warm front this week. I worked my way from shore out into the middle of the bay and ice was relatively uniform between 5.25 and 5.5 inches of nice clear ice. Earlier this week I checked all landings on the Tower end and everything was iced up except for open water way out in Big Bay appearing to mostly be all West of Birch/Ely islands. Not sure if all the recent strong winds from North and South have changed that status though. I'm still sticking with my original guess of December 2 for my first trip off McKinley on 5 inches.   Good luck this winter to all and Be Safe!
    • monstermoose78
      Bummer 
    • eyeguy 54
        click below to check different areas. there are maps to click on also.  just scroll to find. pretty neat tool.    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwdcheck/index.html
    • ANYFISH2
    • Rancid Crabtree
      extended forecasts look good up north. We won't have fish-able ice in the metro until at least the 2nd weed in December assuming no dramatic temp changes. The big Expo is Dec1-3 but temps look promising ~1.5hrs north. I wonder if the ability to go fishing might impact the amount of traffic at the show!
    • Kettle
      There's preliminary testing then if flagged it gets shipped to a lab I believe in CO to verify the results.
    • Chill62
      10 day forecast doesn't show anything with low temps below 15 degrees.  It might make ice but it wont be making it necessarily fast.
    • Nix769
      Thanksgiving would be nice...but first week of December still works!   Rogers on Red is already allowing wheelers and sleds...no side by sides yet.
    • leech~~
    • Rick
      A 30-foot-tall white spruce, selected as the state’s official Christmas tree, was cut down today in the General C.C. Andrews State Forest, near Willow River.  The tree will be set up at the governor’s residence, 1006 Summit Ave., St. Paul, around 9 a.m., Monday, Nov. 20. The tree will be lit Monday, Nov. 27. DNR staff and the Conservation Corps of Minnesota cut the tree on the Friday before Thanksgiving each year from one of 59 state forests. However, the search for just the right tree begins months before. DNR foresters keep an eye out for a tall tree that’s nicely shaped and well filled out. It also needs to be in a location where it will not be damaged when dropped and then easily pulled out and loaded onto a trailer. Minnesota’s state forests provide clean air and water, recreational opportunities, wildlife habitat, timber and special forest products. This year, small businesses are making 150,000 wreaths with balsam boughs harvested from state forest lands. The estimated annual sales for Minnesota companies producing holiday wreaths exceed $23 million and Minnesota’s public lands support a large share of this economic activity. Each holiday season, half a million Christmas trees are harvested from private tree farms in Minnesota, contributing about $30 million to the state’s economy. For each tree harvested, one to three trees are planted. Real Christmas trees store carbon during their lifespan. They can be chipped for mulch when the season is over, making them an environmentally friendly choice.
      More information and details on viewing the tree is on the state Christmas tree page. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.