Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Joe

mississippi river
Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

610 posts in this topic

Let's hear how you're doing. Please help by sharing your fishing report here.

Thanks.

I've been SLAUGHTERING the eel pout underneath the dam in Sartell. We got about fifteen the other night....and my buddy actually kept them and ate them! Needless to say, I let mine back down the hole.

Any reports at the Blanchard Dam area? I am interested in ice fishing there. If anyone has some advice on that please let me know. I would mostly be interested in the ice conditions and any specific fishing techniques that are popular. I hear that there are some crappies to be caught there. Thanks!!

Last time I was up top side of blanchard was about three weeks ago fished about 80-100 yds away from the dam on the east side in the deep pool. Most fish came from around 30 ft water. There are some large fish to be had up there but locating the school can be tricky. With the recent snows we have been having travel up there will be tough. Feb and march are the hot months for ice crappies on this section of the miss.

anyone been fishing below the paper mill dam? catching anything? how much ice is there?

Plenty of ice...the fishing has been sporadic. A few guys are always down there trying to "catch" catfish, though their methods looks fishily like snagging to me. The eel pout are still biting, though!

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe it is legal to snag catfish in the winter. But that might only be on the WI border, so don't quote me on that.

oh i see, yeah ive been kinda interested in trying down there some time.

An update on the catfish snagging...I looked through the regulations and couldn't find anything about being able to snag cats, so I'm guessing it's not allowed anymore. But you can spear cats through the ice.

I think it's illegal to purposely snag any gamefish, no?

I'm willing to bet $1.63 that snagging cats in the winter (at least on the WI border) was legal as little as 10 years ago. Like I said though, I couldn't find anything in the regs, so I'm assuming it's not legal anymore.

So if those guys were out there snagging them, they probably thought the same thing I did...that's why it pays to read the regs every year smile

Was looking at old fishing regs back as far as 74 and even back then purposly foul hooking ( snaging) wasnt legal on inland waters for any game fish.

Can't speak for the past, but as of now, snagging cats is 100% illegal.

i fished the miss today, caught 4 walleyes and 2 nice pike in the morning, and this evening i caught 12 crappies. only kept 5 though.

Anyone have any update on the ice conditions above Blanchard dam since the rain?

I was out on Thursday, ice is fine. Just broke through a thin sheet on top from the puddles. Fishing was slow.

Hey Fellas-

I have a 2025 Lund and live north of Elk River. This year I wanted to make an effort to fish more local areas and the river as the drive to Mille Lacs to fight crowds and wind got really old last year. I have some questions about this streach of river...

Will a big boat work for this area?

Where are there landings that will work?

What type of fish/fishing is there to be expected?

Is the river that splits off in Otsego/Elk River right off HWY101 the Crow? Is it fishable?

I am obviously pretty naive to this river stuff but really want to give it a good try this spring/summer. I drive over the thing twice a day on the way to work when I would rather be on it!

Thanks all

If that were my boat, I would not run that stretch of river with it.

You would not catch me running my 14' Lund with a 15 horse on that stretch of the river. If you are serious about fishing that stretch of the river, you might want to look at drift boats, float tubes, or canoes. A good majority of that stretch of the river is less than 2 feet deep. Lots of areas you could walk across and not get your knees wet.

This spring, hook up with a guide that has a drift boat, they will show you the river. That is probably your best bet at figuring out whether you want to risk it.

River Pro country! Lots and lots of nice smallies, though!!!

Ralph, do you have a RiverPro. I have seen a few of them and desperately want to hook up with someone for a ride in that stretch. They are definitely the ultimate boat for that stretch. The OP already has a 2025 ProV though, so that was the reason I didn't say anything about them. If I had a choice, the RP would be my dream boat.

I wonder if anyone has run one on the Rum between Andover and St. Francis?

That boat would be decent for the stretch in Anoka, from the CHamplin 169 Bridge south to the Coon Rapids dam, there is a landing on the Champlin side, and one in the RUm River on the Anoka side, the Rum is deep enough to make the 300 yards out to the Mississippi. If you do put your boat in down there make sure you carry at least 100 yhards of anchor rope and a big anchor, the river is nothing to mess with! Do not put that boat in at Elk River, I doubt you could even get it off the trailer at that wrotten landing, but if you do, in normal water conditions that boat will not go far in this area, I could run it about 1.5 miles down river in Elk River but thats it, if you don't know the river your area becomes a small portion of that! I would suggest looking into a small jon boat, float tube, or canoe/ Kayak, if you decide you like it enough, ditch the Pro V and get a RiverPro.

River fishing is a completely different animal if you think wind and traffic is bad, your just trading that in for Wind, Current, and Rocks. It can be rewarding as heck when you finally start to put peices of the puzzle together but you will take your share of bumps, bruises, and goose eggs to get there.

River rat, You hit that one out the park. I bought a 14ft flat bottom, to float down stream only. I will launch upstream and float down. Maybe wading in most areas. As far as the Pro-V stay with the lakes, if you like your boat, or you will have holes and a end up with a alum scrap pile. Sorry to sound mean but floating a Pro-V is a death wish for your boat.

Ralph, do you have a RiverPro.

I wish I did, but no. I have been on that stretch in one, though--it's impressive. I floated the same stretch a week later in a canoe and did a whole lot of walking frown

Hey Fellas-

What type of fish/fishing is there to be expected?

Is the river that splits off in Otsego/Elk River right off HWY101 the Crow? Is it fishable?

Thanks all

monticello/elk river: this stretch of river you are mainly fishing for smallmouth and a few catfish.

the river that splits Otsego/Elk River is the Mighty Mississippi....the same one that flows to the Gulf of Mexico....Good Luck but I would opt for waders rather than a proV in this area for river fishing.....the Crow river splits Otsego/Rogers on 101

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.6.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Mid-week we are expecting temperatures in the teens and a few inches of snow which should help extend the hard water season!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up. The morning bite is strong up until the noon hour and picks back up again around 4pm. With the longer days, the evening bite is a little more consistent. Black and gold as well as pink and white have continued to produce the most fish. We are fishing more rock piles than in February and are having good luck at depths between 22 and 24 ft.

On the Canadian side, holes between 28 and 30 feet are a solid bet for crappies. Blue and white tungsten with a red mustache worm or wax worm have been very productive. We are seeing a lot more perch in our catch.

Still a couple weeks of great fishing left, come join us!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.27.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Ice conditions are still favorable with 20-24 inches of solid ice in non-current areas. Snow cover is minimal on snowmobile trails but are still being groomed and in good condition.

On the Minnesota side, we are seeing walleyes being caught  on shallower rock points between 20-24 feet as well as deeper mud between 28-30 feet. A good number of saugers and perch are also being produced. Black and gold have been performing very well using a variety of baits.

Canada is still producing but the crappie bite has been hot and cold within the last week. Walleyes are are most active on rock humps with successful colors being, blue and white, pink and gold.

Until next week!

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up this week! The ice is thick and temps are nice, making for a much more pleasurable hard-water experience. Less turbidity has really allowed for more natural colors to work. Using the dead stick is still producing the most fish with depths under a foot off of the bottom. Lots fish in the slot, as well as, multiple over 28!

On the Canadian side, walleyes are being caught in transition zones, with gold and pink and whites being the hot colors. The crappie bite is at 30ft plus in the mud with Tungstens topped with plastic. Jigging spoons with a minnow head are also producing fish.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye!

On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too!

On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head.

This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report.

We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!

• LucasMN
      There is spots in the parking lot for roughly 7 vehicles with trailers. When that's full, you can park on the side of the road leading up to the access (I don't know if it's legal but have never seen tickets given out nor have I received one). The access is fairly steep but  in good shape. A 16ft will go up/down and launch no problem. 20'+ fish houses can make it up and down.    The access on the south side (past the Bear trap) on Highway 71 has much more parking and is a flat landing with 2 docks.   Water clarity is good. Fishing is mediocre. 
    • Dune27
      Haven't tried fishing there but I would love to go there someday.
    • neptune
      Basskisser, You will love the lake. Compared to other sizeable lakes in MN the traffic is much lower.  Plus Vermilion has so much shoreline with great bays everywhere.  I always have a rod rigged with a Rapala DT6 in red crawdad color and another set up with a fintech jig and tube in either a crawdad brown or green pumpkin.  The Rap works great if you want to cover water and just bounce it down a rocky shoreline.  The tube is perfect for throwing under docks or submerged rocks that your sonar points out.  Good luck and have fun.  There is some great bass fishing on Vermilion.
    • ZachD
    • Rodney
      Hi all, I just want to askl if someone ever tried using shrooms or truffles for medical purposes? I was reading some articles about this and shrooms before engaging my self for the first time. They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike marijuana does it have any medical use? In one article that I've read magic truffles or shrooms are use on reducing the symtoms of obsessive-conpulsive disorder, anxiety, and depression. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this new possible alternative meds. Thanks
    • Pikers1988
      I have always wanted to make this trip happen but never knew how to make the portage happen. Happy i stumbled upon this post.  Hope to be in contact with you soon portageguy
    • Pikers1988
      I literally just watched an episode of Linders Angling Edge where they echoed exactly what SkunkedAgains quote claimed.
    • eyeguy 54
    • bassbouncer
      Normal west end quite a few fish over 20"
    • Rick G