• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Pool 4 Fishing Reports Pool 5, 6, 7 , 8 & 9

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

icon_rss.gif - Subscribe to this fishing report. smile

Great Mississippi River Fishing Reports and River Conditions Reports follow. For current information click the highest number on the upper right of this post.

Feel Free to ask questions about the fishing or river here as well.

If you use this page please give back and share your Mississippi River Fishing Reports and conditions here as well. Thanks for your help in this thread.

Click Here For Even More Mississippi River Fishing Reports

Joe i have been fishing a few of these dams with some luck not allways the best days but there are fish to be caught.I fish pretty much From lock 5 to 8 with the last three weeks being some good days some bad.The fishing at most seems to be better early and late in the day not saying you cant get fish thru out the day just seems they slow way down after 10 am and pick back up right around 4.Bait of chpoice for me has been jigging raps & buckshot rattle spoons in the 1/8-1/4 oz.Firtiger blue chrome and any of the glo colors seem to work just keep moving trying different baits till the fish tell you what they want.Hope this helps good luck report back if you get out.

Hit up Alma on Sat. (9-1pm). Caught about 20-30 saugers from 8-14 inches. Fun, but a guy might go hungry if you are looking for 15 plus size fish. Ice is good (10 inches) to, I better back up a few steps. Bring a ice spud and a life cushion if you are the only one out there. I don't want to see a ball cap sititng in a hole the nest time a go there, if you know what I mean grin.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is whats been going on in the Winona area as of late.The fishing on lake winona has been good with some dandy fish being caught seen several nice panfish and a few nice walleyes early and late seem best in water 8-20 ft.The fishing in the boat clubs has been good some days others not so good but still nice fish being caught if your willing to work at it.Airport lake has been good with alot of small stuff but if you weed thru them you can come up with some nicer ones.Walleye fishing around the dams Tremp lock 6,Winona lock 5 & 5a,has really slowed during the day not saying you cant get fish but you will need to drill and drill then drill somemore holes to find fish that are willing to bite.The weather is looking good starting on thursday so i will be getting out to see what may be happening as far as walleyes go.I did make one trip down to Genoa this month and i was either there when the fish werent or they just arnt there this year because for 8 hrs of fishing only had 3 to keep and maybe caught 15 all day not the same Genoa fishing as in years passed.Most of my walleye fishing has been done with either jigging raps,rattle spoons,or a plain hook in line and minnow with the 1/8-1/4 ounce jigs working best.Colors i have been using are crome/blue,firetiger,gold,and several different glo jigs in reds,greens,and orange.Hope this helps you out in your quest to find the big one.Good luck and get out and enjoy this weather the rest of the week if you can.

Pool 4 open water sauger/walleye bite improved for me this past weekend with a real strong early evening bite. Also heard the early morning bite has been good. The water is extremely clear right now which has made the daytime bite tough. How clear is the water? I have been using florocarbon leads tied to my fireline and the orange jig heads have been replaced with black or plain lead color tippied with a natural color Gulp! minnow(smelt or watermelon pearl). I was out earlier this month with no leader and orange jigs and struggled to boat any fish. Made the changes and came home with an easy limit last weekend. A slow drag worked best for me. 1/8 - 3/16oz jig heads have worked for me depending on current. Others were working blade baits with some success. But again mostly the last hour of light.

tommyk are you still running the tuffy? I up graded my boat and changed my screen name, thought I seen you out on pool 4

Yep, same boat. What are you in now? I suppose if I fished the St.Croix more last open water season I would have run into you, but I spent a lot of time on Pool 2 last year. I will look for you next time I am on Pool 4 which should be soon.

does anybody have the phone # for everett's looking for a cabin rental during the week

Just google "EVERTS RESORT" on the web and you will see their web page that has the number

Dan,

Sounds like a great fishing rig. I still wish I had bought my boat in a tiller model. Might still convert it! I won't be down this Saturday, I'll be up on Rush lake with my buddy and his brother. I should be down the following weekend though!

Dan, Ill be down there tomorrow morning also. I am new to the pool 4 area and was wondering if you might have any tips to your success last weekend?

Ok, here's is my concern. I've never fished the pool/river, but am dying to get out on the water with my new rig. I'm worried about hitting sudmerged ice packs. Is this a big deal, not too many/easy to avoid, or should I just wait untill march/April when they are mostly melted. Thanks for any help.

There was a few chunks of ice floating around last weekend but you just need to watch for them and you will be fine, heck walleyelabman was just splitting them in two with the proV

Dan, Had a great saturday night down on pool 4 ended up with 4 keepers and a mess of little saugers. draging jigs slowly right off the bottom down river seemed to be the ticket. Thanks for the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lunker

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been fishing down in Davenport for the last two weeks, water came up and got the right color, sos hopping down river to the wing dams and trolling crank baits has finally paid off, yeah its this time when you can really get on them, been catching fair number of saugers and walleyes, keeping a limit of 16-20 inch fish each day, and turning loose the bigger ones. Ive witnessed several nice fish coming into other boats, a good friend has had great luck up the in the arsenal silvous slough, good luck to all.

• 2 weeks later...

going to get the boat out today and get it going thinking about heading down to red wing fri. wondering if there are any reports?

troutman, I have not been down there lately but I am trying to get down there this weekend. I believe this little warm up this week will get then going. but even if they are not going gang busters, there will be fish to catch. The mid to end of March the last couple of years has been great for the vertical bite and when the water gets moving the pitching and casting will produce really nice fish. I will try verically jigging plastics (paddletails, ringworms), bucktail jigs and plain jig and minnows as well as casting to riprap and noticable current breaks this weekend if I get there.

I think it will be worth it and will get better as the month progresses and the water warms and gets moving better.

any updates on pool 4? - Looking to possibly venture out on the ole Mississip Friday and was wondering if the fishing has picked up at all and if so are you seeing early morning, mid day, or late day as being the best.

What has been working? ring worms, paddle tails, blade baits (all the above?) -- any certain colors working best.

thanks,

pool 4 report - hi guys' were looking forward to another fantastic fishing season.ill try to keep you up to date with at least a weekly report.several boats have been going up to the dam. most are using ikes hair jigs tipped with a fat head minnow. blade baits and ringworms are also working. most people are in the 18-25fow. there are alot of smaller fish being caught as the water warms up the bigger fish will move up.

good luck IKE

ps.were going to try and get out today or tommarow ill let you know how we do.

SCONASOTAN i went down yesterday dident get there till 2pm caught about 25 saugers 5 between 14 ant 17 that i kept. was working the dam from 55 to 37 thats where i got all my fish no eyes i saw a few caught but i dident catch any. used a 3/8 gold jig with a clear sparkel super doo only thing i tried think the water temp was about 36 light current flow. lots of people out yesterday everet was almost full. it looked like the acess down river was open too with lots of trucks there. hope this helps you out

good luck

3-6-09 pool 4 report-Friday was a ok day on the river we didnt get ouy until mid morning started up by the dam in 12-18 fow.we caught several small walleye and 5 sauger in the 14-17inch range.ikes 3/8 oz hair jig tipped with a fat head minnow worked best.then we moved down to hay creek and tried blade baits caught two small walleye and one small sauger switched back to a 3/8oz chart.hair jig and caught a 18 inch sauger.as the water warms up the bigger fish will move up to the dam.ill try and keep you posted at least once a week.if you have any questions stop or call the store good luck IKE.

Ike,

Just letting you know I'll be down March/April to try some fishing and am working on that turkey mount for you.

I was fishing today with my brother,at Red Wing. We caught 16 saugers no walleyes. We started at the dam, and caught 4 saugers.Then we moved down to the mouth of the Cannon River and did pretty good we caught 12 more saugers, all the saugers were between 10"-16".We fished midday 10:00am to 5:00pm. A pink, orange,and green multi color 1/2 oz. northland short shank jig was the ticket today.Everybody was catching fish. Jiggers were doing the best. Water temp. was 36.6. We launched at the back channel. That's the Wisconsin channel if your not a local.We still need about 6-8 more degrees of water temp. to bring the big girls in to play.I also got my first sunburn today.

fished monday 7am to noon up by the dam one 18" and on small saugers, noon to 3 moved to a creek opening fished deep as i could find and picked up 16 sauger 11"-17" water temp 37 white glow hair jig fathead worked best. Good luck all