• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

did anyone fish winn,and how did it go? we do winn the old fashion way get a map from dnr and a ruler measure it out......or guess where the depths of the lake are

went out all day yesterday picked up 3 8" perch not reall good fishing. moved around trying to find them but no luck.. Hope someone got into them

I fished winnie sat and sun with 3 other ppl and struggled all weekend we caught 2 perch over 11 1/2" and probably 20 other keepers. But we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was fun to get out and just fish without taking it to seriously.

I got a limit of eyes in 2 hours on Saturday, along with 10 keeper perch. 3 of us, It was slow, but the weather was great.

2 nice Northerns also, a 5 and an 8 Lber. Total take for the weekend 20 kepper perch.

G.C.

Quote:
I got a limit of eyes in 2 hours on Saturday, along with 10 keeper perch
And this is slow? WOW!! winkgrin Good report Gary!

Well the eyes went back of course, and the bite was short lived and you had to be mobile. Never got to many out of the same hole. Like I said, we wouldn't have gone hungry.

G.C.

A group of 4 of us were out Friday & Saturday. fished out from Ravens Point in ~24ft. We did OK the first day and better the second. If we would have gotten out an hour and a 1/2 earlier each day we could have probably doubled our take. By 1pm they were all but done eating and would just come up and look. Nothing came up our holes but perch although a guy not to far away pulled up a walleye and a northern. we caught them on everything from spoons to a plain red hook. The hot tip would be to get out there early. I don't know how early they start but they definitely stopped around 1-2 pm and starting slowing after 12:00. When we started fishing each day (9:00-9:30)it was all you could do to keep 2 lines in the water.

Good Luck,

Buck Snort

Went out on Sunday. First spot we tried only produced a couple small ones. Then we moved and found a little hole that was producing some keeper sized fish. It wasn't fast and furious, but plenty of action to keep everyone entertained. Well, that was before the wind came up. After that, only caught a couple more smaller ones before we decided to pack up. Would have liked to have stayed till dark, but with a long drive home, slow fishing, and fish to clean we made our decision to head.

Earlier on, they were biting on waxies then minnows were the ticket, either jigging or under a bobber. When it was really slow, most of the perch were spitting up these small little worms so threw a couple on and was able to get a few to commit. We were fishing on the north end of the lake in 26' of water and the other depths we tried only gave us small ones. Off road travel was doable, but was a lot more sloppy on the way out. Snow really softened up as the day went on. I'm sure there won't be much snow left here in a couple days, but who knows how long the shoreline will hold up.

Hey just wondering what the conditions are like up there, Im looking to head up to the cabin for the last time this winter. Im thinking about looking for crappies on some smaller lakes, just would like to know if it's worth bringing the sleds. Any snow/ice reports would be great, thanks!

warm temps and lack of snow cover now would lean against sleds. I brought mine home today.

atv or vehicle traffic will be good for a while.

I think it's supposed to cool down a little bit. it would be nice if it at least gets below freezing at night, enough to firm things up.

lots of ice, haven't lost an inch yet, but if this keeps up, it will start to wear on the big sheet.

nice to see u back also dave very sorry to here about your dad always tuff losing a family member my wife has seen him at the gosh dam place said he was a happy funny man an knowing u i bet he was keep in touch if need anything hollar sincerly Brian HI Tech 34

welcome back jigglestick. maybe see ya around fri and sat am. hope highbanks got a fresh supply of bloody marys in, right gary! laughsmirkwink

Anyone have any updates on the ice/landing conditions. We will be heading up tonight and hoping to leave the ATV at home. Wondering if it looks like truck travel will be good this weekend?? Any recent perch reports? Thanks

Tony

Tony, with the weather we have been having, this weekend is a long ways away.

my experience tells me we'll be ok, but that's if you know what your doing out there AND have a rabbits foot in your pocket.

I ventured onto a couple small lakes in north Itasca county yesterday. both were in similar condition.

the top layer was slushy ice. I believe this is the remainder of the snowstorm we had while I was away in the cities with my pop.

the snow melted down to pretty much nothing in just a few days, leaving water, to find it's way down.

it did. now you need to watch out for the wash out holes left behind. I haven't been on Winnie for a few days. maybe I can get out there tomorrow. the ice is thicker there than on the smaller lakes.

these washout holes are pretty easy to spot in the day light.

they are pretty safe around them, but some can be very big. big enough to swallow a atv.

I've seen them on red, big enough to drive a truck into.

they are usually strong ice around the hole, but I saw one yesterday I wouldn't drive within 20 feet of. it looked like the ice was thin all around the area.

hopefully I can get out and report first hand of the conditions on the big lake.

I need to make a clean up run any how.

I think my prediction of early ice out is going to be dead nutz on.

jigglestick,

The three of us will be out on winnie in a black ford f-150 wisconsin license plate RNGNCK. Stop over and say hi if your out n about. Really hoping to find some perch as I'm bringing two of my brothers and its there virgin trip to Winnie!!!!

Tony

We may try Cass if Winnie is slow--you fish it much for perch??

we didn't melt much today, in fact I have to say it barely hit 32 if at all.

tonight will be low teens. this should firm things up quite a bit, hopefully enough to buy us some more days getting on and off.

tried bowstring this afternoon, with less than desireable results.

I would have liked to have moved around, but the fricken wind was insufferable.

I have never fished on Cass lake if that was your question.

I am not sure, but I think I will be out on the big lake this weekend making a clean-up run.

I will be driving a little dark red suzuki sidekick with the big white campjigglestick dot com stickers in the back.

I will keep an eye out for you if I can get out there.

my best advice as I'm sure i don't need to tell you is to keep moving. hopefully the wind and temps allow for you to do that. you should get fish.

Fished Sunday AM and set up on a small rockpile topping out in 20 fow and it was covered with perch. Out of about 100 there were only 4 that were 10.5+ but it was one rod only non stop. We weren't satisfied and slid off the pile into 30 fow and immediately went one after another with tulibees. They were 20 feet down and for a little while mixed in were jumbos. In that spot we caught another ten perch that were all over 10.5". In only 4 hours of fishing we wound up with 14 jumbos and 38 tulibees. Those oily guys put up a tussle on super light gear!

Jigglesticks, One question for ya bud, are the launches still locked up or will I need some 2*12's to get out there? Any help will be appreciated

I know this is a hot topic but will i need to bring an atv up with me?? i am fishing sunday and monday..thanks for all the help guys!!!

I think you guys are good to go.

it refroze everything the past couple days.

today we had about two inches of fast wet snow.

great big flakes added up in a hurry.

now the temps are slowly rising but if the sun stays behind the clouds, I feel big trucks with wheel houses will have no problem all weekend long.

I may run up there tomorrow to see for sure, but you guys will be there by then. I say trucks, no atv's and hard houses if you want'em.

I was up fishing on Thurs and getting on the late will be questionable with warmer weather. Things were froze hard but looks like they will get soft with warm weather. Once on the lake away from shore it is the remanes of drits that are 6-12 inches high and hard. Had no problem driving with a truck pulling a trailer with atv BUT it will change. Fishing sucked.

Needed the 4-wheelers to get out on the west winnie campground access today. The road was drifted shut but there was a hard crust that the wheelers could ride on top of. Once on the lake it was easy to get around with the wheelers.

thanks Jigglestick!! please let me know! we are not leaving green bay til midnight tonight! cant wait to come up for one last time this year!

Talked to some guys today that got a pickup through west winnie onto the lake. However, with the rain forcast ice could be in really tough shape by next weekend. I doubt that anything larger than an ATV will be an option then.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked