Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Rick

mille lacs
Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

3,173 posts in this topic

JASONY, Thanks for the rpt. Did you catch any between 6PM-5AM?-or were you not sleeping on the ice? If you don't mind letting me live vicariously thru you till I get up to the pond - What lures/presentations were working? Possible to drive 4x4 pickup around? When you say 25' - that must mean the top EDGE of a flat?? Thanks bud.

We stayed on a different flat without any action overnight. So we fished about 7am to about 11am, then from 330pm to 6pm. Got all but a couple on jigging spoons and minnow head. Also got some on jigging raps and head. I dont think a pickup is the best option to get off road. You can obviously get to spots by the road, but like i said before is I think the key is to get away to unpressured fish. We were basically towards the top edge. I think the it tops out at about 23-24 fow. Good Luck if you head up. Going again friday. Hope they still bite!

im lookin to head up sat. morning where is the best place to get on the lake? i dont mind payin fees but would like to get on some roads that go all over if there are any? im just lookin for a good starting point!

Thanks for the good report. I'm heading up tomorrow night for a long weekend. Hope to have at least a little luck. Sounds like it's supposed to be nice.

We went out of Hunters and you can get to most flats from there. They have roads to about a dozen different ones.

was lookin for anything thing on the west side. thanks though

ya i posted a deal bout cash's wonderin if you could get from there but havnt had no replys

I fished the northwest mud flats last weekend and did pretty well on eyes and perch. We were out way past where the plowed roads end, on a sled. I was a little worried going out that far with 2 of us on one sled pulling my portable. The fishing was worth it, but it would have been a heck of a long walk back if something were to break down. I'm heading back up on Friday morning and will be heading out on the lake by noon or so Friday. I'd be more than willing to share the location if anyone would want to caravan out onto the lake from the landing in Garrison or out of one of the resorts if preferred. The weather is supposed to be great. Correction, I'll be working until 3 on Friday and then heading up for the weekend.

think you could get a wheel house out there ??

Nope. There's way too much snow, only way would be to plow a road, which in itself would be tough to do that far out. It's going to be fairly warm, fishing outside of the fish house will be very possible, keep the wheel house at the end of the plowed road from Terry's and head out farther with wheelers and sleds ??? I do have an extra suitcase style portable.

ok that a thought

you staying for the week end ?//

i was thinkin bout going over in the morning and fishing maybe come tomo night and get the sled

Yup, I'll be up there the whole weekend, I've got a cabin on 40 acres just 3 miles west of the lake. We'll be out on Mille Lacs on Saturday and Sunday, probably in the afternoon till after sunset, maybe going to some of the smaller lakes in the morning for panfish/crappies. I'm so sick of the bitter cold weather, I need to get out and enjoy some warmer temps.

do you know if they are catching any fish where saying to leave the wheel house

do you have yahoo messenger if you maybe we could yack there

i'm gregori52 on there

They are catching some fish closer in on the mud, but I've always found better fishing if you get away from the crowds. I don't have yahoo messenger. email nzwagerman@comcast.net

norsky,

i will be out this weekend goin up sat. morning and stayin till sunday evening. if your interested in caravaning? we have 2 wheelers and 2 portables. could you make it out there on a wheeler?

I think you probably could now that the top has melted and refroze, kind of depends on how much weight you're pulling. I'd like to hit the area I was at last weekend with some more people, I'm right on a point on one of the flats and it drops down into a trough and comes back up with other little humps all around. I'd like to bring my fourwheeler also, but I only have a single place trailer. Caravaning would be great, I think it's safer traveling in groups out there.

Norsky, what time are you heading out of Garrison landing?

Whatever time works for whoever would like to meet. Last weekend we went out around noon, fishing was good from when we set up until just after sunset. Maybe 10 am or so? Doesn't really matter to me.

im new to this site,have fished just about every lake west and some in the south metro.heading up to the big pond this sat.from what im hearing sounds like the mud is picking up,1 of my favorite spots is blue jug 2nd wouldbe agate bay.it willbe easy to pick me out i wear a whole vexliar suit so if you see me come over and say hi,good luck fishing cjw.

Some friends and I are going up Saturday to stay in a couple of Dickie's big houses. I hope we catch some fish. I have no idea where their houses are and I've never been on the lake. There was some good information in this thread. Thanks for that and good luck to all those going out this weekend. Any more info/advise would be appreciated.

Jon

norsky,

we are goin to be up there around 930 ish we are goin out of garrison. let me know if you are still lookin for anyone or what area maybe we can just meet out on the ice somewhere. you can e_mail me jt_333@comcast.net

Went out of the north end of the lake last weekend, got on the ice around noon Saturday and stayed until Sunday morning. Caught 4 walleyes, 2 were to small to keep. One nice 18 inch and a nice FAT 26.5 inch (took a picture and put it back down the hole).

Caught all of them between 5pm - 8pm on fatheads. Plain hook w/ a glow bead and glow sinker. Random set up but we were trying everything.

Nothing over night and Sunday morning.

Heading up next weekend...any idea where to find some jumbo perch? It's a big lake, I don't need a map with an X on it but just a general idea if possible? Or ideas for bait, jigs, etc.

Went out of Appledorns on Friday. Great road system which I noticed hooks up to many other resorts as well. Fished the sand off of Doe Island Reef. I had my 3 year old along so it was pretty much, set up and hope for the best. Saw plenty of small perch on the camera, a couple nice walleyes and a big northern. Endend up only catching two perch at about 10 1/2 inchers. From about 11:00am-noon we had waves of big perch come through.... some real tanks. They were so tight to the bottom their fins were catching the sand. They weren't interested in even looking at our baits, but they were there.

Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies the other a minnow head. I was told the fish were in the sand chasing shiners, but we never saw one on the camera. Good luck to those of you that go!

Went out of Hunters yesterday (fri), we just skipped around until we found some fish on the vexilar. I know we were some where south of 8 mile, but am unsure of our exact location. We were in about 22 fow. To save a few bucks we decided we would just bring a car up and forget the ice house, bad decision, even if it was warm, being on the ice really got to me after a few hours. Saw schools of small perch come through on the camera and was able to keep the bait away from the small ones until the big ones would eventually show up. The key was pounding the buck shot spoon into the mud, then dropping down a tear drop jig with some waxies. All in all we caught 4 over 10 in, the biggest one going 12 1/2" All the action occurred from noon until my fingers froze at about 5:30. A nice 18 in walleye was taken along with a similar size tullibee. Again nothing great, but I still consider myself a novice on this lake and it was fun to have the opportunity to catch some big fish.

So in closing:

1. Camera was key to keeping the small perch away.

2. The silt cloud was key to drawing fish in.

3. Get at least several hundred yards away from others.

4. With a shelter I probably would've spent more time fishing instead trying to warm my hands up!

Some good reports guys! smile

Quote:
Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies

That is very killer combo for bigger fish, when the minnow body or head fails to get a bite wink.