• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports - CLICK HERE

Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑

2009 - 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports are below ↓↓↓↓ (Over 100 pages of 25 posts per page).

Go ahead and post Mille Lacs Lake fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

Lot's of good info below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well.

Thanks.

I'm up every week,I live 20 minutes North of Garrison.I have fished the lake at least twice a week since Christmas and have used Terrys,The Door,Hunters and landed off some parking lots on the South end.The bite is becoming more spotty but think outside the box with locations and techniques you will be surprised.I caught a limit Sunday on a crappie sized forage spoon with one waxie and one chartruse gulp waxie and these fish were 200 yards from any flat.The fish were stacked on the breaks and tops but not the hungry ones.I'll be out as soon as the weather breaks today.

Here is my *REPORT*:

Fished 7 am to dark in 23 FOW gravel out of the south side. Didn't move around as the wind was harsh for most of the day. Landed 4 walleyes for the day and 1 jumbo. 1 nice walleye (too big) and 3 12 inchers. What's up with all these small walleyes this winter? Never had that before, but it's probably a good sign for things to come (should be good open water season). Saw quite a few walleyes approach and back away. Figured that with the 'warm front' and dropping barometer that they would be in a positive mood.

Right now, it's hard to get around and fish 'the spots' without a snowmobile. It's getting to the point that the areas on the roads are getting hit hard, making things less productive IMO. I would recommend to anyone who has a snowmobile - bring it! There are a lot of walleyes in this lake!

Good luck everyone, and lets please hear some more reports!

Went out on the west end and the fishing was really good!!! Caught fished from about 6 am to about 8:30 P.M. on the shallow side of a nice drop off in 17 FOW caught 9 walleyes 27 being the biggest only could keep 2 and caught 5 jumbos. It was nice catching fish again. And like what skunked_again said if you have a snowmobile BRING IT!!!!!

Got out yesterday for a hand full of hours. Did a later start. As said above, the wind was a strong thing this morning. Here is a image of the shore, where's the shore??? grin

3205639124_16d65b5705_o.jpg

The travel was very nice by sled. As for wheelers, I would say you are to the point of no return for wheeler travel off road. This was pretty much the norm around the area's I was at:

3205636528_cba552112a_o.jpg

That is a good foot plus drop!

The fishing was good during the afternoon. I setup in @27 FOW, gravel out from Appeldoorn's and worked pretty much 2' or less from the bottom. I would switch threw out the afternoon between 3 red larvae and minnow head, but stuck with Lindy Rattling Flyer spoon. Never once dropped the camera, worked only off of the LX-5. Also ran a second line on an Ice Buster, with just a plain red hood, tipped with an over 3" fat head. This rig will pick up large perch, but I like it more as a decoy. I will not even say what I lost just below the hole on it right before sundown frown. Make sure the hook in new and is sharp wink

The bigger perch (as always) came threw in waves. So at any time, you have to be ready when they come in or you will miss out. Jig, jig, jig, jig and then jig again, until the red bar comes up by your lure and then stop wink Also, when you get one up the hole, drop back down as quick as possible.

It was funny, cause the tiny perch where far and few between yesterday. I love those tiny perch grin. When they clear out of the LX-5's view, that means bigger perch are in the area grin. The 7"-9" perch where crazy. I lost count on how many I pulled of them. No true ML Jumbo's yesterday, but if anyone wants a meal, ML is a great place to head to wink

Here is a couple images of some of the perch I got yesterday. I was alone, so they are not the best images.

3204787097_18f374d395_o.jpg

3204784421_8a32a9e2db_o.jpg

Only thing that came in after dark and bit was about a 10” eelpout.

Good luck! smile

Shackbash thanks for the info. I'm going up to Appeldoorns wed-thurs with a couple guys from work. Never ice fished mille lacs so will try and use some of your tips. It sounds like jigging for perch is the way to go rather than deadsticking. Even if we can catch some decent perch that would be cool. Will give a report Friday......

Boy, I feel lucky ...... 6 I think 12 or under, 1 - 14.5, and 1 - 23, also lost one bigish one after about 6 feet .....

No perch at all on the flat I was on, top and then bottom edge, first spot was about 28ft, one small there, didn't see any on camera, then moved onto edge, had one hole in 30ft, and other end of house was 35. (24ft wheelhouse) saw several "keeper" fish on camera only caught the one 14.5", caught most fish on a rattle reel with dark red hook - medium fathead ...30ft end of house.. on my jigging rod I tried everything from the biggest to the smallest that I have, pimples, raps, misc stuff, glow demons, medium fats, heads only and crappie minnows. only caught 2 -10"ers on the jigs ..... did all my jigging and camera watching at the deep end - 35ft

I was off by myself ......

Hit the flats yesterday 1-17 1/2 and 2-12 inchers (Wallys) 1-9 inch perch..missed a few others. Deep 30+ ft, caught mostly on jigs but also got a couple on set lines. Nothing on waxies. After snowing sun came out..really really nice out on the flats..quiet as could be.

Were the roads out of hunters in good shape? Heading up tomarrow and would like to put the wheelhouse out on 7 or 8 mile flats if possible. Also would like to bring up the atv so we can jump around during the day. What condition is the snow off the roads would that be possible? Thanks

Yeah I read your report and have seen others. I did call Hunters and twin pines today and both said I would be ok with a atv. Hunters also said that roads are good and will be able to find a spot on 8 mile and or 9 to put the house without them plowing me a stub. I hope that they are right about that as for twin I guess that they don't have any roads to the flats. Also the Red doors article on another site dated 1-21-09 said that atvs arn't having problems anymore beings slush and snow have hardend? Thanks for you replys and any more would be great. I will let ya all know how it went we get back on sunday.

Was out of Hunters on Monday and the roads were good, and they did have stubs where they said they did. (that I looked anyway) I can't imageing pulling much behind an atv, tomorrow with warm temps and sun the snow will be soft and slippery, I wouldn't be able to pull my portable behind me, even with chains but hey, go for it.

I heading up tomorrow and my partner just canceled, taking my wheelhouse out. If anyone wants to join, it's big enough for 3, I'm leaving elk river around 6-6:30 picking up the wheelhouse in Onamia and heading for Hunters, be there around 8-8:30.

roy at royalynn dot com - will check in the morning if I don't make any connections at this late hour, make sure give me a phone # and how early I could call whether you'd want to meet there or ride all the way together.

Thanks!

Quote:
I did call Hunters and twin pines today and both said I would be ok with a atv.

What??????????? confused Are they letting you drill right on their roads grin

Good luck dude and please let us know how it goes grin

If we hear nothing, I will assume it went bad with the ATV grin It is not the slush, but the amount of snow on the lake right now wink

Where are you planing on fishing inspector? I will be out by 8 mile maybe we can say hi. Will be getting on around 6:30 or so.

Shackbash I'm not puling the wheelhouse with the atv! We will be driving out and then fri. morning we wanted to go searching with the traps!

mines a big dark green wheelhouse (24ft) with atv doors on each side not on the back. Hooked to a blue/silver/roadsalt color suburban.

Depends on the crowd, (9 mile if it's not too busy, maybe center bar, or possibly over to 8, one of those three.

We arn't positive on 8 either it depends if the road goes to the south or north end. Might end up on 9 but anyhow I have a 12ft king crow blue and silver with a red silverado and a polaris hope we can get around but if not we will stay near the house. Good Luck and swing by if you see us.

Went up Wed.- Thurs. afternoon with my boss and a few guys from work. Told him to use Appeldoorns based on all the info. I read on this site about the quality of service. Because they don't have a house with 6 beds he reserved with Nitti's instead. Needless to say the service was subpar and between 5 guys we caught 3 eelpout and one 8 inch walleye. I don't blame them for the fishing thats the way it goes sometimes. We were in 30ft. of water and I tried everything I had. Jigging, deadsticking, euros, waxies, fatheads, fathead heads, crappie minnows, bro series jigs, plastics, you name it. As far as the sevice they took the credit card and brought us out to our house with no more than 2 words said. I tried asking questions about the fishing location and using different tactics but there was little or no response. Wed. night we went to shore to get some drinks and the service was terrible. We stood behind the few locals at the bar for over 10 minutes before we were acknowledged. The guy sitting in front of us turned around and angrily barked "what do you want". We just said we were waiting for service not wanting to fight the guy. Ten minutes later he was playing pool with the manager. The next morning the manager took our order for breakfast while he talked on the phone. I would hate to see the service when there is more than one house being rented. Will never go back again. Like I said I won't blame the place for the bad fishing but when you drop $500 for 2 days of fishing and some food and drinks would just expect a little more courtesy and kindness. Looking forward to using Appeldoorns next time we go up. I can now totally understand when the guys on here say it is the quality of service that will bring them back to a place not the fishing!

Sorry to hear that! I have personally had great experiences at that resort (never rented a shack there though). I was up on Wed. and did pretty good. Brought home a couple nice eyes and some jumbo perch. It was nice to fish in a t-shirt for a part of the day it was so beautiful out there. Where you guys sitting in the house or did you move around? Doesn't matter how 'good' the bite is - usually don't catch a whole lot by sitting in one spot all day, although with your situation that may have been difficult with all the guys you were with.

I guess the experience just depends on the circumstances and who you deal with on a given day.

Yea you are probably right. I definately can't speak for anyone else only for myself as far as the service. Me and another guy went out and punched a few dozen holes but couldn't find anything. Tony Roach and his crew were a few hundred yards away filming all day on Thurs. We tried to get as close as we could without bothering them, figured if he was there all day he must have been catching fish. It was nice to be on the lake like you said beautiful weather.

A hard lesson to learn is that "customer service" is EVERY TIME. not just sometimes or when you feel like it.

We own a service business, people can be a pain, but they pay your salary. So you have to decide to adopt the EVERY TIME philosophy or quit.Or be expected to be helped to quit.

Many business's that serve us around the lake have a hard time with customer service and respect for non-locals.

We stood behind the few locals at the bar for over 10 minutes before we were acknowledged.

Yep, experienced the same thing a couple of weeks ago when wanting to pay for lake access. Felt like I was 21 again trying to get drinks from the bartender while he flirted with the ladies. I think it's some "cool bartender" rules of conduct that they have to abide by.

here is a smally my buddy caught up on the mud flats a couple weeks ago. it was really weird because this thing didnt even put up a fight at all. it was like reeling in a stick.

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports