Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Rick

Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

icon_rss.gif - Subscribe to this fishing report. smile

Go ahead and post Mille Lacs Lake fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

full-2-27502-millelacs.jpg

Lot's of good info below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well smile

Thanks.

Edited by Rick

deerwoody

I'm up every week,I live 20 minutes North of Garrison.I have fished the lake at least twice a week since Christmas and have used Terrys,The Door,Hunters and landed off some parking lots on the South end.The bite is becoming more spotty but think outside the box with locations and techniques you will be surprised.I caught a limit Sunday on a crappie sized forage spoon with one waxie and one chartruse gulp waxie and these fish were 200 yards from any flat.The fish were stacked on the breaks and tops but not the hungry ones.I'll be out as soon as the weather breaks today.

skunked_again

Here is my *REPORT*:

Fished 7 am to dark in 23 FOW gravel out of the south side. Didn't move around as the wind was harsh for most of the day. Landed 4 walleyes for the day and 1 jumbo. 1 nice walleye (too big) and 3 12 inchers. What's up with all these small walleyes this winter? Never had that before, but it's probably a good sign for things to come (should be good open water season). Saw quite a few walleyes approach and back away. Figured that with the 'warm front' and dropping barometer that they would be in a positive mood.

Right now, it's hard to get around and fish 'the spots' without a snowmobile. It's getting to the point that the areas on the roads are getting hit hard, making things less productive IMO. I would recommend to anyone who has a snowmobile - bring it! There are a lot of walleyes in this lake!

Good luck everyone, and lets please hear some more reports!

eyeslayer20

Went out on the west end and the fishing was really good!!! Caught fished from about 6 am to about 8:30 P.M. on the shallow side of a nice drop off in 17 FOW caught 9 walleyes 27 being the biggest only could keep 2 and caught 5 jumbos. It was nice catching fish again. And like what skunked_again said if you have a snowmobile BRING IT!!!!!

Shack

Got out yesterday for a hand full of hours. Did a later start. As said above, the wind was a strong thing this morning. Here is a image of the shore, where's the shore??? grin

3205639124_16d65b5705_o.jpg

The travel was very nice by sled. As for wheelers, I would say you are to the point of no return for wheeler travel off road. This was pretty much the norm around the area's I was at:

3205636528_cba552112a_o.jpg

That is a good foot plus drop!

The fishing was good during the afternoon. I setup in @27 FOW, gravel out from Appeldoorn's and worked pretty much 2' or less from the bottom. I would switch threw out the afternoon between 3 red larvae and minnow head, but stuck with Lindy Rattling Flyer spoon. Never once dropped the camera, worked only off of the LX-5. Also ran a second line on an Ice Buster, with just a plain red hood, tipped with an over 3" fat head. This rig will pick up large perch, but I like it more as a decoy. I will not even say what I lost just below the hole on it right before sundown frown. Make sure the hook in new and is sharp wink

The bigger perch (as always) came threw in waves. So at any time, you have to be ready when they come in or you will miss out. Jig, jig, jig, jig and then jig again, until the red bar comes up by your lure and then stop wink Also, when you get one up the hole, drop back down as quick as possible.

It was funny, cause the tiny perch where far and few between yesterday. I love those tiny perch grin. When they clear out of the LX-5's view, that means bigger perch are in the area grin. The 7"-9" perch where crazy. I lost count on how many I pulled of them. No true ML Jumbo's yesterday, but if anyone wants a meal, ML is a great place to head to wink

Here is a couple images of some of the perch I got yesterday. I was alone, so they are not the best images.

3204787097_18f374d395_o.jpg

3204784421_8a32a9e2db_o.jpg

Only thing that came in after dark and bit was about a 10” eelpout.

Good luck! smile

fishersofmen

Shackbash thanks for the info. I'm going up to Appeldoorns wed-thurs with a couple guys from work. Never ice fished mille lacs so will try and use some of your tips. It sounds like jigging for perch is the way to go rather than deadsticking. Even if we can catch some decent perch that would be cool. Will give a report Friday......

Insp Gadget

Boy, I feel lucky ...... 6 I think 12 or under, 1 - 14.5, and 1 - 23, also lost one bigish one after about 6 feet .....

No perch at all on the flat I was on, top and then bottom edge, first spot was about 28ft, one small there, didn't see any on camera, then moved onto edge, had one hole in 30ft, and other end of house was 35. (24ft wheelhouse) saw several "keeper" fish on camera only caught the one 14.5", caught most fish on a rattle reel with dark red hook - medium fathead ...30ft end of house.. on my jigging rod I tried everything from the biggest to the smallest that I have, pimples, raps, misc stuff, glow demons, medium fats, heads only and crappie minnows. only caught 2 -10"ers on the jigs ..... did all my jigging and camera watching at the deep end - 35ft

I was off by myself ......

Riverratpete

Hit the flats yesterday 1-17 1/2 and 2-12 inchers (Wallys) 1-9 inch perch..missed a few others. Deep 30+ ft, caught mostly on jigs but also got a couple on set lines. Nothing on waxies. After snowing sun came out..really really nice out on the flats..quiet as could be.

63ihharvester4x4

did you get em while jigging or where they more interested in the dead stick?

Insp Gadget

mine came mostly on the set line, only 2 stogie size while jigging

Riverratpete

Most came off of jigging.

walleye-

Were the roads out of hunters in good shape? Heading up tomarrow and would like to put the wheelhouse out on 7 or 8 mile flats if possible. Also would like to bring up the atv so we can jump around during the day. What condition is the snow off the roads would that be possible? Thanks

fishorgolf

You will not be driving anything off the roads besides a snowmobile.

Shack

Check the report postss at the top of this thread.

Good luck up on the pond!

walleye-

Yeah I read your report and have seen others. I did call Hunters and twin pines today and both said I would be ok with a atv. Hunters also said that roads are good and will be able to find a spot on 8 mile and or 9 to put the house without them plowing me a stub. I hope that they are right about that as for twin I guess that they don't have any roads to the flats. Also the Red doors article on another site dated 1-21-09 said that atvs arn't having problems anymore beings slush and snow have hardend? Thanks for you replys and any more would be great. I will let ya all know how it went we get back on sunday.

Walleyehooker

Hunter keeps their roads up very well and they have a lot of them.

Insp Gadget

Was out of Hunters on Monday and the roads were good, and they did have stubs where they said they did. (that I looked anyway) I can't imageing pulling much behind an atv, tomorrow with warm temps and sun the snow will be soft and slippery, I wouldn't be able to pull my portable behind me, even with chains but hey, go for it.

I heading up tomorrow and my partner just canceled, taking my wheelhouse out. If anyone wants to join, it's big enough for 3, I'm leaving elk river around 6-6:30 picking up the wheelhouse in Onamia and heading for Hunters, be there around 8-8:30.

roy at royalynn dot com - will check in the morning if I don't make any connections at this late hour, make sure give me a phone # and how early I could call whether you'd want to meet there or ride all the way together.

Thanks!

Shack

Quote:
I did call Hunters and twin pines today and both said I would be ok with a atv.

What??????????? confused Are they letting you drill right on their roads grin

Good luck dude and please let us know how it goes grin

If we hear nothing, I will assume it went bad with the ATV grin It is not the slush, but the amount of snow on the lake right now wink

walleye-

Where are you planing on fishing inspector? I will be out by 8 mile maybe we can say hi. Will be getting on around 6:30 or so.

Shackbash I'm not puling the wheelhouse with the atv! We will be driving out and then fri. morning we wanted to go searching with the traps!

walleye-

I have been to mille lacs many many times sometimes for a week I understand how it goes shack

Insp Gadget

mines a big dark green wheelhouse (24ft) with atv doors on each side not on the back. Hooked to a blue/silver/roadsalt color suburban.

Depends on the crowd, (9 mile if it's not too busy, maybe center bar, or possibly over to 8, one of those three.

walleye-

We arn't positive on 8 either it depends if the road goes to the south or north end. Might end up on 9 but anyhow I have a 12ft king crow blue and silver with a red silverado and a polaris hope we can get around but if not we will stay near the house. Good Luck and swing by if you see us.

fishersofmen

Went up Wed.- Thurs. afternoon with my boss and a few guys from work. Told him to use Appeldoorns based on all the info. I read on this site about the quality of service. Because they don't have a house with 6 beds he reserved with Nitti's instead. Needless to say the service was subpar and between 5 guys we caught 3 eelpout and one 8 inch walleye. I don't blame them for the fishing thats the way it goes sometimes. We were in 30ft. of water and I tried everything I had. Jigging, deadsticking, euros, waxies, fatheads, fathead heads, crappie minnows, bro series jigs, plastics, you name it. As far as the sevice they took the credit card and brought us out to our house with no more than 2 words said. I tried asking questions about the fishing location and using different tactics but there was little or no response. Wed. night we went to shore to get some drinks and the service was terrible. We stood behind the few locals at the bar for over 10 minutes before we were acknowledged. The guy sitting in front of us turned around and angrily barked "what do you want". We just said we were waiting for service not wanting to fight the guy. Ten minutes later he was playing pool with the manager. The next morning the manager took our order for breakfast while he talked on the phone. I would hate to see the service when there is more than one house being rented. Will never go back again. Like I said I won't blame the place for the bad fishing but when you drop $500 for 2 days of fishing and some food and drinks would just expect a little more courtesy and kindness. Looking forward to using Appeldoorns next time we go up. I can now totally understand when the guys on here say it is the quality of service that will bring them back to a place not the fishing!

skunked_again

Sorry to hear that! I have personally had great experiences at that resort (never rented a shack there though). I was up on Wed. and did pretty good. Brought home a couple nice eyes and some jumbo perch. It was nice to fish in a t-shirt for a part of the day it was so beautiful out there. Where you guys sitting in the house or did you move around? Doesn't matter how 'good' the bite is - usually don't catch a whole lot by sitting in one spot all day, although with your situation that may have been difficult with all the guys you were with.

I guess the experience just depends on the circumstances and who you deal with on a given day.

fishersofmen

Yea you are probably right. I definately can't speak for anyone else only for myself as far as the service. Me and another guy went out and punched a few dozen holes but couldn't find anything. Tony Roach and his crew were a few hundred yards away filming all day on Thurs. We tried to get as close as we could without bothering them, figured if he was there all day he must have been catching fish. It was nice to be on the lake like you said beautiful weather.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Hit the ice for the first time today about 6 inches of ice and lots of slush 3-5 inches deep. The snitch handled the work load with amazing results. The busy end was the smallest pug bug with a maki mino the crappies were racing up am crushing it. The gills would come up slowly but would eat it. Had a 3 to 4 pound walleye break me off in the top of the hole.

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temps are hovering around 48 degrees and fall fishing is phenomenal! Walleyes are biting anywhere from 14 to 30ft with jigging being the most effective method. Crappies are continuing to bite around sunken trees and deep holes with a good amount of perch mixed in. Anglers have had success trolling for large pike and muskies with jigging also bringing some to the boat. 

We are getting fish houses ready for the 2017-18 ice fishing season and are very excited for hard water!

We recommending checking availability for winter ASAP!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
       Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are slowly falling, with surface temps in the high 40's early in the day and ending in the low 50's in the afternoon.

Here in Minnesota, fishing has been great. A jig and minnow set up is the top producer with fish showing preference for orange or chartreuse. Big pike have been caught on the jig and trolling minnow baits.

Canadian fishing is consistently putting more crappies and perch in the well. These pan fish will take shiners and sometimes favor them to a fathead or plastic. Fish are HUNGRY and are well fed, a lot of thick fish with full stomachs.  24-32ft has been the favored depth within the last week.  

With water temps falling and the new moon looming, expect to see more large predator fish this week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      10.9.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temps are still hovering in the mid 50’s.

Jig and a minnow/shiner will fill your live well in Minnesota. Areas of best success, have been between island or high currents spots with depths ranging from 13-16’ or 22-26.’ Fish are really hungry and are packing on the pounds before ice season!

Canadian walleye fishing is also outstanding. Orange, pink or chartreuse with a minnow/shiner have been effective off of points at depth of 18-26.’  We have also experienced a lot of perch this week, limits of crappies when targeted, the occasional pike and muskies on the jig.

Musky action on shallow reef tops has slowed as fish are moving out to deeper waters, trolling cranks or jigging big rubber is common practice now. Many small mouth have been seen this week with wounds from predatory fish. 

Less than two weeks left of open water fishing at Sunset Lodge, we have some availability remaining before we close down for the season on October 22! 

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      The water temps are dropping and the fishing is really heating up. Surface temperatures are starting in the low 50’s and reaching mid 50’s by afternoon.
      Walleye fishing in Minnesota has been phenomenal. The best fishing is happening close to the resort on a jig and minnow. We have had non-guided boats setting fish counts of over 100! Current areas between islands and near holes are HOT with good numbers of slot fish and perch to be had.
      Canadian fishing is excellent as well. Really nice limits of crappies, perch and walleye this week. Crappie location can be simplified by a guide or try known spots with classic structure, orange jig and minnow has been the top producer.
      Nice muskies have been boated while trolling and while jigging for walleye. 
      We plan to close for the season on October 21st. 
      We hope to see you soon! 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Water temps are hovering in the low 60’s despite the very fall like weather we are experiencing. 

The scenic Canadian shore lines are coming to life with various critters. Otter, bear and more making preparations for the coming winter.

Walleye fishing in Canada is excellent with a jig and minnow or shiner. The most productive environment has been gaps at 15-18’ with plenty of current present. Good numbers of perch are being caught off deep edges or reefs at 30’ or more. Crappies are a little more difficult this week, the best chances are on a light set up.

Around Minnesota, walleyes can still be had with a crankbait but favored methods are switching over to a jig tipped with a shiner on main lake points between 20 and 24’. 

Muskies are moving deeper with anglers transitioning from casting to trolling. There is still time to boat a big fall fish!

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.18.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the Northwest Angle!
      This week we experienced temps in the low 60’s and a lot of wind. Surface water temps have dropped to the upper 50’s making it to the low 60’s by evening. Fall foliage is in effect and fishing is phenomenal!
      Minnesota walleyes can be located rather quickly with a Rapala or good electronics, then jigged up with pink/white or gold, tipped with a shiner or fathead anywhere from 17-24ft, shallower in the evening.
      Canadian walleyes are being caught by crappie anglers. Many crappies are being found schooled off of larger protruding points, fooled by a jig and minnow setup. The biggest walleyes are still being caught by Rapalas in 10-22’, including our biggest walleye of the week; a dandy 29.”
      Big fish were falling to jerk baits early in the week, with blade baits bringing more fish to the boat recently. Traditional shallow, wind-blown rocks with access to deep water nearby have been the most productive spots. The largest guest fish this week was a beautiful 50” Muskie with a couple more at or near 4 feet.
      We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Fishing Canadian waters has produced numbers of fish including crappies! Crappies have been found near underwater trees and timber. The walleye bite has been great with limits coming in, as well as many larger fish over 24 inches. Areas producing the best include Massacre Island, Tug Channel, Skeet Island and Monkey Rocks, fishing on reefs and underwater humps from 24-30 feet of water.

Stateside, walleye fishing has been excellent from Oak to Little Oak Island and Dawson Island pulling spinners in the mud or jigging reefs in 26-30 feet. Lots of perch have been mixed in with walleye limits.

The musky bite has really heated up from the cold front that passed through recently. With air temps increasing to the low 80’s this week and water temps in the mid to high 60’s it looks like the action will remain strong.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sean Maday
      By Sean Maday
      I built a simple website to deliver constant National Weather Service updates about the weather and water conditions on Lake of the Woods.
      http://www.lowmn.com
      I would love feedback! What else should I add?
      Happy fishing.
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hi, from the Northwest Angle! Water temps are staying consistently in the low 70’s.

Stateside, walleye fishing has been good from Lunatic to Garden Islands. The edges of islands and reefs in 22-29’ will provide walleye, perch and occasional large pike. Most productive methods have been minnows on gold spinners and deep diving crank baits in UV tiger, clown and blue/chrome.

Canadian walleyes can be had jigging minnows with gold, pink, and chartreuse on edges of reefs.  Monkey Rocks is holding many schools of fish currently, as well as, reefs south of Deepwater Bay. Bottom bouncing outside these reefs will produce fish as well. Muskie fishing has slowed a little, however nice fish in upper 40’s can be caught in “windows” of time, usually coinciding with Majors and Minors.

We hope to see you for some fantastic fall fishing & hunting!

• bbfenatic
      Ice is 4-5" on smaller lakes in DL area...got some nice crappies and one large Gill 10.75" on a quick trip out yesterday morning before the Vikes game...best bite was 7-9am
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources today released a new plan guiding management of the Sand Dunes State Forest near Zimmerman for the next five years. The revised operational plan arose from a series of meetings with local landowners, conservationists and others.  “After hearing stakeholder concerns about the original 2013 plan, we led an extensive public engagement process that informed this revised approach,” said Forrest Boe, director of the DNR Forestry Division. “The new plan does a good job of balancing a variety of values and interests.” The revised plan addresses stakeholder concerns about timber management, recreational opportunities, forestry roads, and School Trust land management, as well as addressing rare species management. The plan also addresses several specific concerns that arose during the public engagement process, such as aesthetic considerations related to timber harvests next to private lands, and tree management within the Ann Lake Campground. The operational plan is based in sound natural resource science and reflects the DNR’s goal of sustainable forest management for economic, environmental, and recreational benefits. The plan shortens the management timeframe from 50 years in the 2013 plan to 10 years. It also provides more direction related to recreation, School Trust lands, and forest roads. Science-based adaptive management tools will be used to inform decisions on restoring, protecting, and managing rare plants and wildlife. “The DNR will continue to engage with people interested in the Sand Dunes State Forest through regular updates and meetings,” Boe said. “We want to build on the relationships we’ve developed over the past year and a half.” Sand Dunes State Forest, established by the Minnesota Legislature in 1945, consists of about 6,000 acres that are owned and managed by the state. It features a variety of plant communities and landscapes—including pine plantations, rare sand dunes, wetlands, woodlands, oak savanna, and prairie. It is home to more than two dozen rare plants and animals. Located in Sherburne County about an hour northwest of the Twin Cities, it is the closest state forest to the Twin Cities metro area. The forest is a popular recreation destination for hikers, horseback riders, hunters, campers, and others. The revised plan, along with further information about the public engagement process, can be found on the project website at mndnr.gov/forestry/sand-dunes/index.html. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has issued its annual ice safety warning for lakes with winter aeration systems.  Aeration creates areas of thin ice and open water that are extremely hazardous to people and pets. Open water areas can shift or change shapes depending on weather conditions, and leaks may develop in airlines, creating other areas of weak ice or open water. The updated list of aerated lakes and more information is available at mndnr.gov/eco/lakeaeration. “We’re urging people to use caution anytime they venture onto lake ice, especially at night,” said Amanda Yourd, DNR hydrologist and aeration coordinator. “Extreme care should be taken on aerated lakes. Watch for the large orange and black warning signs at high use public accesses and the required thin ice signs around open water areas.” Aeration systems help prevent winterkill of fish populations by adding oxygen to the lake, and in certain situations to protect shorelines from ice damage. They are generally operated from the time the lakes freeze until the ice breaks up in the spring. About 280 lakes will have aeration systems operating on them this winter. Private hatchery operators also use aeration systems, usually on small lakes without public accesses. A permit from the DNR is required to install and operate an aeration system. Permit holders must publish public notices, post warning signs, and inspect the systems at least once every seven days. Liability insurance is generally required of private groups or citizens operating aeration systems in protected waters. Watch for notices in your local media identifying aerated lakes in your area. DNR staff ensure permittees comply with all requirements and regularly inspect systems for safety. Some municipalities may have ordinances that prohibit entering into the thin ice marked area and/or prohibit the night use of motorized vehicles on lakes with aeration systems in operation.  These local regulations are often posted at accesses where they apply. Questions concerning aeration or thin ice can be answered by calling a regional or area fisheries office or the Department of Natural Resources toll-free at 888-MINNDNR (888-646-6367). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      New definition of portable shelter expands types of structures needing to be licensed       Beginning this ice fishing season, anglers using a wheelhouse type of ice or dark-house shelter are required to purchase a license to place the shelter on the ice, even when occupying it.  A new definition for portable shelters has been provided in law, which states that a portable shelter is one that collapses, folds or is disassembled for transportation. “Wheeled fish houses, which formerly were considered portable – and thus excluded from licensing requirements for shelters – will now need to be licensed,” said Al Stevens, fisheries survey and systems consultant with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “In the past, anglers using wheelhouses could use them without shelter licenses as long as they were occupied, including overnight.” A shelter meeting the new definition of portable only needs a license when a person leaves it unattended, meaning they are farther than 200 feet from the shelter. The change pursued by the DNR and enabled by 2017 legislation accompanied hunting and angling fee increases. An annual resident shelter license is $16. A three-year license is $43. Owners of houses to be rented pay $31 annually or $88 for a three-year license. A valid license tag must be attached to the outside of the fish house in a readily visible location. On border waters, a shelter license is not required on the Minnesota side if the neighboring state doesn’t require a shelter license for its waters. To learn more about the fishing and hunting license dollars are spent, visit mndnr.gov/licensedollarsatwork. Shelter or fishing licenses can be purchased at DNR license agents across Minnesota, by phone at 888-665-4236 or online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will offer 17 parcels for sale in three public oral bid auctions in December. Property information, auction instructions and a map of the parcels can be found on the DNR’s land sale webpage.  The properties include unimproved recreational land in Anoka, Beltrami, Big Stone, Houston, Hubbard, Koochiching, Mahnomen, Meeker, Norman, Otter Tail, Pine, Wabasha and Wadena counties and lakeshore property in St. Louis County. Public auction details, parcel information and the latest updates are available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/landsale/. Call 651-259-5432, (888) MINNDNR or email min.landsale@state.mn.us for more information. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
      2 hours north of town is ready! Went a ways out drilling my way on two different lakes yesterday. 4 inches on one, 5 on the other, as far as I felt like walking. The 4 inch one was all 4, the 5 incher was 8 near shore and I U turned the car on ice when I left! This is going to be a very long 3 day week.. 
    • JFitz
      I've experienced the same thing - V can be tricky through the ice. There's a ton of structure to choose from and you're pretty limited with how much you can move. We've had the most success just staking out a likely spot during primetime. Drill a bunch of holes and wait for the fish to move up. Tip-ups have helped to cover more ground and locate fish. Like Cliff said, bite windows are real short so you've gotta be out there when it's happening!
    • rainylakefisher
      Did they ever find the two missing boaters from the incident a couple weeks ago?  Haven't seen anything...
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I agree with gimruis. Do not expect to see the same type of action or type of bite that you can get in the summer on open water! Generally the winter bite is short, ( a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours just as it is getting dark), especially if you are fishing for walleyes. Dark cloudy days can sometimes be the exception. What works one day may not work the next day also. I like to jig with a 1/8 oz. to 1/4 oz. spoon baited with a crappie minnow or just a minnow head on one of my lines. The other line is a plain hook set line with either a fathead minnow, shiner, pike sucker, or a rainbow chub as bait. Type of minnow that works best varies greatly depending upon where you are fishing! I like to set up close to rocks that drop into deeper water most of the time. Cliff    
    • smurfy
      anyone with any info as to how the ice conditions are up this way???????????