• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

Stayed mobile this weekend hitting a few shore spots like I was 16 again. Found pike and bass with a couple walleyes sprinkled in. The wind was too much for me and I still had some boat maintenance to do before I put her in the water this year so we fished shore spots. Pretty good action all said.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a slow start to the Walleye season, went out to Long lake last night, a number of boats fishing “not much catching going on” water temp 59 degrees! I will try to get out over the weekend but with a low-pressure system, stalling out over Minnesota Walleye fishing could be tough, we need the weather to stabilize for the fish to turn on.

On one wants to name lakes if you are having luck, so if you get out fishing update the forum. Lets us know if you have had some luck! It will get the rest of us motivated to keep trying. Good luck Fisherman

alright I'll bite, got to Games on thursday evening, after unloading and settling in, about dark thought i would see if the eyes were in the shallows and sure enough,they were there. Not a ripple on the water thursday night, but as the weekend went on and as the the easterly wind blew the more fishin went south. But all in all the eyes that where kept and the ones that where put back, it was a pretty good weekend on the water.

Been out on Eagle a few times recently and so far just Bass. Tried both shallow and deep and everywhere inbetween. We did have a lot of "Arcs" in 31ft of water but couldn't get anything to go. Also tried Ringo the other day and got a couple Pike and a couple Bass.

Go out on Tuesday; trolling with minnow’s fishing in 9’-11’ of water (Weed line was 8’) was the most productive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've spent a few evenings in the past week fishing Green Lake in Spicer with good success.

Walleye during day/evening, you'll find them buried in the weeds around the weed line at 17-23 FOW. I long line troll rigs with floating jig and leech or crawler harness with a shot of air. Search near shore breaks and sunken islands. If all else fails try near old mill inn on NW side of lake, area always produces a few nice eyes.

Walleye are always on the move, and the need to be dynamic and try new areas and new techniques is key to success on green. As mid-summer transition period approaches try trolling rappalas in bottom substrate transition areas and weed lines. If you find baitfish (perch/small sunnies) walleye are near.

Good Luck.

• 2 months later...

Green lake in Spicer. I am seriously considering fishing Green next week for a couple days for Walleyes and may also try some panfish as well. I was wondering what the surface temps are like now compared to what they were in late August? Are the fish moving any swallower yet? It would be my first trip to this lake. Any help here would be much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I made it out last night. Threw some tip ups out on a local lake only one flag in 3 hours. There was a lot of people out there. It was my second time out this year th Ice is not very thick yet be careful out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Just was informed by a buddy that there is a Tommy Swenson ice fishing tournament on Green. If anybody has info, please post.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim. I've been on about every lake around here it is a very inconsistent bite. Seems if I drill enough spots I can manage enough fish for a meal.

• 1 year later...

My wife would like to find a place where we can watch the game on Sunday yet catch some nice in our new wheel house. Her idea is to go out set it the house down and catch fish. It once was that way on Norway, but then that was 25Yrs ago. Late Jan. into Feb. fish 20 - 24ft The Crappies would come thru from a foot off the bottom to 5ft up.  later the night the higher they come.

• 2 months later...

We gave Traverse a go. Fished a long hard day Sat with that wind and ended up catching 3 eyes, 2 smallies, and a few small pike. Didn't see much being caught. Haven't heard any great reports yet.

3 hours ago, fuzzyray said:

We gave Traverse a go. Fished a long hard day Sat with that wind and ended up catching 3 eyes, 2 smallies, and a few small pike. Didn't see much being caught. Haven't heard any great reports yet.

Bigstone put out the fish sat. early. Done by 10am 17 to 18 inchers, no big ones

• 2 weeks later...

approximatly 120,000 pounds of carp and buffalo were netted out of Big Kandiyohi this week.  They were loading 

the truck on Saturday morning at County Park 1.

Edited by Keith Swenson

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

yowzer !

They were pulling nets about 2-3 weeks ago. That's a lot of carp going out. Do they do this annually or just every once in a while?  What is the water level like? Be there next weekend.

There haven't been any netted for a few years.  The Lake Association pushed for this.  It's a good thing.  Waterlevel is low for spring but not terrible.  62 degrees over the weekend.   Forecast is for 10 to 15 out of the northwest and mid 50's for highs.  Should be be a decent opener till the forecast changes  to 45 mph winds out of the east and a high of 42.  I'll be at my cabin on the Island.

I was not there but seen pictures of this from someone that was there and talked to the people working the nets.  Quite an impressive haul.  Sounds like the fish will be shipped the east coast for restaurants.  

So far the weather looks to be good for the Opener!  I could do with a little less wind but oh well.  At least it won't be like last year, that was brutal with the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to get out almost weekly since the ice went out and have had some great fishing for both panfish and bass.  This past Saturday I made it out bass fishing with my 5 year old son and my dad (a Fathers day tradition for us).  We went out on a local lake that we know well, it took a little to get them dialed in but we ended up catching 38 bass between 10" - 16", with a couple of northerns mixed in that was all in about 2 hours of fishing.  All fish were caught on mushroom head jigs with a 7" worm or a tube in 8' - 20' of water on the outer weed edge.  There was a spot we pulled up on that I caught 6 bass in 7 casts and we ended up pulling 16 off that one small area.

Good luck to everyone out there fishing in this area.

• 5 weeks later...

Got out yesterday afternoon in the heat looking for bass, ending up hitting a couple of small lakes around New London/Spicer.  Most fish were in 2'-6' of water in cabbage beds, we didn't catch much under the docks which I thought was weird.  All of the bass I caught were on tubes and swim jigs, my buddy caught some on a mimic minnow.  We ended up with 39 bass (biggest 4 were around 2.5 - 3 pounds and came on the swing jig), 2 northerns, 15 sunfish and 2 crappies.  The sunfish and crappies were caught on the 3" tubes and the mimic minnows.  Overall a good half a day on water and the weather was actually not that bad out there.

Good luck to any others that are going to get out fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it out fishing the Spicer area lakes on Saturday, mostly going after panfish and Bass.  Ended up with a boat load of little dinky sunfish, could find the bigger ones but then again I normally just bass fish this time of year.  As for the bass fishing I ended up with 18 - 20, mostly on tubes and swim jigs.  Nothing really big but I did have a 2 that were right at 17", over all a great day on the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a word of caution to everyone that may be coming to the area, all of Kandiyohi county lakes are in a no wake zone for the entire lake.  Not sure when they are going to remove it, but the lakes are very high right now.