• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Cass Lake Fishing Reports

Went out on Pike last night to try and chase a eel pout down but came up empty handed besides the few perch I pulled up before dark in 35' of water. I might go out again tonight and try a different area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

that third pic could be your new profile pic. good resemblance.  :boom:

• Thumbs Up 2

• 9 months later...

No first hand reports but I saw some folks out on the bay by the wayside rest today. No clue on how much ice but there was two portables a couple hundred yards out. I also took a drive around and saw some folks out on smaller lakes around the neighborhood.  I was so tempted to get out tonight but me and the fam went out and set a few rabbit snares. We'll be checking them after breakfast tomorrow!

Saw a snowmobile on Pike Bay out from the city park, the pulled a smaller fishhouse out to the first break yesterday. I also saw the same thing on Cass out in front of the wayside rest. There was also the same two houses out there from the night before, so they must be catching something. Haven't traveled too far from Cass this weekend but I also saw a couple of houses on a smaller lake that I plan on hitting once the weather warms up this week. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

let me know how you do Jim.  I'm thinking about a quick trip up next week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Found 7" of ice on a little 150 acre lake we fished yesterday, we caught a bunch of gills, the biggest being just over 9".  We caught them in 22' right on the edge of the basin.  There was a couple of other groups out there too but they were right smack dab in the middle of the basin, they didn't have much luck. 

Took a cruise to the west side of Winni and at the access that pops out where the mississippi dumps in, there was a sign that says "No Trucks" on it, but I did see tire tracks going out there, not sure if it was smaller SUV's or what. There was a half dozen trucks/trailers parked on shore that pulled there gear out with sleds and ATV's. I talked to a guy coming in, probably a resort worker since he didn't have any gear on him, he said that there was 12" all over out there consistently. Of course with any ice report, get more than one opinion lol. 

I checked the landings at a couple smaller lakes around the area and found folks walking out or taking there sleds/atv's. 

I did see some meathead that drove out on Pike Bay, he is parked out there now. I haven't heard any ice thickness reports from the bay but there was about a dozen shacks out there people pulled out there with their sleds. 

• 2 weeks later...

-28 yesterday morning, -30 this morning... We are definitely making ice. Haven't been out on the ice since Monday on Winnie where there was 14". All I know is that we are making ice even though we have a bunch of snow which will make travel a little tougher on area lakes. Hopefully I can make it out this weekend to get a better report. 

How much snow is there on the lakes in the area Jim?

a half a foot at least on top of the hard pack, but then of course you have drifting after yesterday's blast of snow and wind. 

Windy as heck again today, so I hope that snow all blew to the southeast side of the lake lol, I'm thinking I underestimated the snow on the lakes. By now, I'm thinking they are a mess off of any plowed roads. I'll find out this weekend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I seen a report from a guy who just finished a couple day trip over on Bowstring. He said it was so windy on Tuesday that they didn't fish much but by Wednesday travel very far off the plowed roads was starting to get difficult

• Thumbs Up 1

I just took a cruise over around and looked at a couple lakes and there is some serious drifting going on on the south and the east sides of the lake. Off road travel in those areas looked to be reachable by Bigfoot at the very least lol

Didn't get to fish today because it was a busy family day but I took a ride at prime time and there was a lot of fishing activity going on. Lots of folks on Pike, quite a few out on Cass right out in front of the wayside rest. 

I headed North around the lake and didn't see anyone in Andrusia, one house out on Allen's Bay was visible from the road, there was a few trucks parked alongside the road near Kitchi. 

Tomorrow we are headed over to Winnie to see what we can find. 

• 2 months later...

25" of ice last night on Cass lake, yeah it rained but I don't think that did much damage to the sheet. Traffic is slow out on the lake right now but the fish are hungry!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

I'm a bass guy.  Will be staying at a cabin on turtle River.  Any good largemouth opportunities in kitchi or the chain?

Smalliehunter,

The entire Turtle River chain has great bass fishing. Ranging all the way from Little Turtle to Cass. When I lived in Bemidji I fished them all, and had good luck on them all. Great thing about those lakes is you can catch them in a variety of ways. In the mornings I tended to focus on docks with Senko's or topwater around vegetation, trying to find areas with deep water close. Once the sun got higher I switched my focus to points or underwater humps and fished the deeper weed edges (10-15') with a jig/worm presentation drug or bounced along the bottom.

One other great option for all these lakes is to go along the cabbage edge and cast a #5 or #7 shad rap. It's unreal the variety of fish, and quality, you can catch. From nice pike, big bass, walleyes, and even big crappies. Great fun not knowing whats going to bite next.

I wish I could give you a specific lake to go try but they are all great. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My largest largemouth to date was caught on Turtle River Lake. Twitched a #13 original Rapala in the weeds. 

• 6 months later...

Spent a few days ice fishing in the Cass Lake area  for panfish, perch and walleyes.  I found crappies suspending over basin areas and willing to bite plastics or crappie minnows.  

20180202_184705.jpg

After finishing up with crappies I turned my attention to perch and walleyes.  I found a shallow saddle,(12') that had some quality perch on it.  With the cold front bearing it was tough getting these fish to commit but did get several to go including this fat 12"er.

20180203_085803.jpg

Just around dusk did pick off a 16" eye out of a school cruising through.  

6431.jpeg

Decided to pull the plug early and head home with temps dropping, the wind cranking up and morning temps -20 degrees. Dead stick was dead.   A small jigging spoon worked very subtly worked best.  Too much jigging and the fish would slip away.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for pout last night. 37 feet of water and we caught a couple. Marked more but they just weren’t active enough to celebrate lol. Here’s my love catching her Valentines Day pout. 

56F431CB-0936-400F-8FCA-5B8B02F44EDD.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

Very cool looking fish!  Nice catch Jasmin.

First timer checking in. My folks bought a place on Child/Boy River. Looking forward to spending more time in the area.

Wondering if anyone knows if there are roads plowed on Woman Lake? Was hoping to try and catch an evening/morning bite this week.

Thanks

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

First off welcome to the site and thanks for posting. Not sure about a road plowed on Woman but broad water and lantern bay are good  places to find panfish on that lake. More than likely there will be a truck trail to both as they are pretty popular spots. Good luck 

Edited by IceHawk

52 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

First off welcome to the site and thanks for posting. Not sure about a road plowed on Woman but broad water and lantern bay are good  places to find panfish on that lake. More than likely there will be a truck trail to both as they are pretty popular spots. Good luck 

Thanks! 

And I just realized I posted this on the Cass lake forum.

Bear with me, I"m kinda slow lol

I was up fishing from last Thursday through yesterday on some area lakes. Wow, lots of snow on the lakes and it is starting to show its weight on some of the lakes. We fished one lake in the evening Friday and came back Saturday morning to 3-5" of water/slush in a large area around where we were fishing. A group a little ways over from us had the same issue as water was coming up their holes. Just a heads up if you are venturing out to the lakes in the area that have fresh holes, there may be water and slush around.

Fishing was decent, bluegills up to 13.5 ounces, crappies up to 1 pound, pike to 30", walleyes to 20", and bass to 18.5". All of the fish were found in less than 11' of water with most being in 8-9'. Good luck if you are heading out!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ducksnbucks said:

I was up fishing from last Thursday through yesterday on some area lakes. Wow, lots of snow on the lakes and it is starting to show its weight on some of the lakes. We fished one lake in the evening Friday and came back Saturday morning to 3-5" of water/slush in a large area around where we were fishing. A group a little ways over from us had the same issue as water was coming up their holes. Just a heads up if you are venturing out to the lakes in the area that have fresh holes, there may be water and slush around.

Fishing was decent, bluegills up to 13.5 ounces, crappies up to 1 pound, pike to 30", walleyes to 20", and bass to 18.5". All of the fish were found in less than 11' of water with most being in 8-9'. Good luck if you are heading out!

Great report!  So how much snow is there?