• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

We did get checked by the CO when we were out Sunday, I would like to add. He seems like a good guy, we got checked by him earlier in the year while pheasant hunting near Reno. He is out there, and said he is thinking of recruiting a younger guy to help attack the big groups of houses.

Quote:
I have been fishing the lake more in the past 4 or 5 years than I ever have and it is hard to keep the big sunfish off my crankbaits even.

Landrr,

So what do you consider a big sunfish? To some a 1/2 lb or 8" bluegill is big or huge. As for me its 10" or a pound, which to some is unheard of I guess but can be found if you put your time.

Goose,

Quote:
Cycle, less pressure, pike cleaning up stunted ones???.

Quote:
They are of as much value, in protecting the panfish population, IMO, as the big walleyes are important to our fishing satisfaction. (if that makes sense). Thoughts??

Yup, because its true, same goes with a healthy bass and dogfish (bowfin) population. Yes bowfin are important to a lake, after I did some reading about them and talked to a variety of fisherman. Because I too thought they were pretty worthless, and people always told you to chuck them on shore for the birds. So most (of the people I know) have the opinion that they are worthless like a burbot (pout) or sucker, but they to like pike clean up on all the small and sometimes large sunfish to keep the population in check and healthy overall. Its sorta like the states deer heard a few years ago especially in the forested region where there were so many that their wasnt enough forest undergrowth, trimmings/food, and habitat to support the herd. That is why we had or some areas still do have liberal bag limits on deer, as we were the main predator, but now as you see coyotes and wolf populations boomed since then as the deer were more abundant. The samething happens with panfish or with any fish species. If there isn't enough forage the fish don't grow and if there is an overabundance of panfish and lack of predator fish you have stunted fish. There are alot of other factors that play into as well too, destruction of habitat, water clarity, bad spawning years, etc. But mainly its all about balance really and mother nature can take care of herself but "we" are the ones that usually unbalance everything (overharvest, fishing mortality). Thats why DNR does what it does (slots, restrictions, reduce limits) to balance everything back out, and try to improve and protect/conserve what we have left for habitat. Otherwise our state would be another new york or california, alot of us would be going to canada to catch quality fish and in quantities like so many MN fisherman are already doing. Thats my thoughts on it, and im probably preaching to the choir but probably still needs to be heard.

I'm gonna butt in again, bluegill. Agree with you.

They are "big" in today's standards for most lakes, but not "big" as in "when we were growing up big". At least that was my experience last summer / fall. They are big enough to hit, and seem to like cranks and spinner/crawler rigs.

I'd like so see some of them "big" sunfish again. Pipe dream maybe, but it's something to shoot for.

Was out wed. and i was surprised how busy the lake was with fishermen.. I had a blast catching sunfish, could have kept a limit of nice sized sunnies easily 5 times over had i fished all day, but i was just there to have fun so every fish got put back in the lake.. It's not always a matter of keeping fish, especially every time one goes fishing, it's about the enjoyment of it!!

Back from Missouri...nice waterfowl project...a heck of a lot warmer...and did not find any wild hogs on the one day I took off to find them. (seen tracks though) Made some nice connections so I will try it again some time.

Big sunfish? For keeping to eat...I like the 7 to 8 ouncers and I think most other people do as well. Any smaller and they are harder to clean and you have to clean a lot more of them. The "pounder" sunfish you refered to are "trophy gills". As mentioned, you can find them if you put your time in. I know several area lakes that have sunfish like that and often you can catch 4 to 6 or more a day.

Is throwing the big sunfish back like letting the 6 and 8 point bucks walk?

If I caught a pound sunfish or anything close to that, I would take a picture and send it back. There is no need to keep a fish like that.

Do big sunfish like that lose their reproductivity at that age similar to what I have "heard" with 30 plus inch walleyes?

Waska has a great pike population, especially in the 2 to 4 lb. range with some 6 to 10s that come in regular. There are people that show up just for pike. I personally love the 1.5 to 2.5 lb pike. I also like to pickle the bigger 3 to 6 pounders, but I don't get those to often as I am usually not fishing for them. Spearing is pretty popular on Waska but the water was cloudy to start out with. There are usually a few 10 to 15 pounders taken each year...I think the biggest last year was just over 15 speared.

I don't know enough about the population dynamics of pike and panfish to speak on it. There are probably others that know a lot more about it and can comment.

This week was pretty busy with the really nice weather...probably the most activity the lake has seen for awhile. But now we are back into the deep freeze. Even with the number of people fishing, I still personally think we are well below the "usual" number of houses and fisherman. The perception may be that there are a lot of people fishing because they are concentrated in Bottle Bay. As one previous post expressed, they went away from the crowd and did really well...maybe even better. As many have expressed...it is a huge lake and not much of it is being fished.

The bite over the week has been really great for panfish. Many have expressed that they are only taking a few home for a meal but are having a great time catching them. I am sure there are many taking limits as well. The active CO will be checking keeping everyone in line. As often as I see him, you would have to really not want to fish for 5 years in risking to take more than your limit. (amount of time they can revoke your license)

I don't expect too many to be braving the cold but will post some reports if I have them.

Fish On!

Landdr,

I agree the half pound to 3/4 lb are perfect keepers to eat. As well true pound bluegills are hard to come by, but they are out there. Interesting to know that there are some area lakes over there that hold bluegills that size and to catch 4 to 6 a day. As for keeping fish that size I hold that up to the person who caught it and if they wish to mount it, to eat it, or to CPR it and get a replica are all fine by me. Grant it ideally I'd like them to take a picutre and release it, but thats entirely up to them as they were the one who caught it.

As for the analogy of letting a big bluegill go is the same as letting a 6 or 8 point buck go....or do big bluegills loose reprodcuction like 30" inch walleyes, I really wouldn't know to the reproduction cycles of a big bluegill comparing to a 30" walleye as in if they decline. I refered the state's deer herd as comparing to panfish populations and habitat. As overabundance isnt good for habitat & food sources. I guess as I see it, big bluegills are like big bucks as the reason why they make it so long is because they are smarter, have readily food sources available, right habitat, unpressured, and if they are caught they are released to keep getting bigger. So in a way letting 6 and 8 pointers go for deer hunting is like releasing a big bluegill, but then again the right food sources and cover(habitat) have to be there too so that buck can grow to be bigger. Hope that makes some sense.

How has the bite been the last couple days? Looking to possibly try for some multi species action over the weekend if it warms up. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Unit

Bluegill...I think I am along the same thoughts. Minnewaska has tremendous habitat for panfish. The improved water clarity has allow sunlight to reach deeper to produce more weeds beds. Food sources are created within these weed beds and the habitat is there. I have noticed that the weed lines are further out now...used to be at 9 to 12 feet and now there are more often at 12.5 to 14 feet. There are even elodea (coontail) and milfoil (native species) at 16 ft. on the camera! That is deep for those plants but if the sunlight can get there they will grow.

"overabundance isnt good for habitat & food sources"...that is interesting. The bluegill population in Waska is almost rediculous. The walleye guys complain about the sunfish constantly hitting their crawlers...and in deep water. We are always picking up 10 to 15 beautiful sunnies trolling crankbaits. Is the fishing pressure on the sunfish on Waska a good thing to keep the population in check? If there are too many sunfish...will the food and habitat be depleated and therefore cause stunting?

UNIT...The panfish bite has been excellent. Still one after another and most are reporting 1 out of 5 or 6 are nice keepers in the 7 to 8 ounce range. A few walleyes are being reported. We are going to move one of our houses to another location to see if we can find a walleye bite.

Fish On!

Was out sunday afternoon in bottle bay, set up about three hundred yards away form everybody and had non stop action of sun fish and some very small perch until a snot rocket would come rolling through every once and awhile. Like landdr said 1 in every 6 or 7 was a keeper. Tons of fun for my daughter and my self.

Thanks for the report Vexi. I have heard from many others as well that they went away from the masses...but stayed in the 14 to 16 foot depth and did really well. I would agree too that pretty much anywhere I pulled crankbaits during the summer in that 13 to 14 foot depth, I would also pick up some sunnies.

Pike follow the sunfish around like a wolf following the sheep. If the bite all of a sudden stops...almost guaranteed that a pike is in the area. Sometime you can just move a few yards away and get back into the sunnies and then come back to your other hole later...or...drop a sucker or shiner down and have fun pulling a pike up.

There have been a lot of people taking kids out and they are having a blast. One of my buddies told me his kids where fighting over who could real them up yesterday.

Fish On!

What are the chances of getting a wheel house situated out there pan fishing. I would like to take my grandparents and possibly my 2 1/2 year old son out without them freezing. Thanks for any help

CC I saw people pullin houses all over last week, just dont venture too far off of the plowed roads.. i even had a permie set up less than 10 feet from where i was fishing which kinda made me mad but I just moved and still caught fish

Thanks for the info Basssmasher,

I have not been on the lake in 3-4 years, just lookin to put the house out for a couple of days for the family. Do people leave houses out the for days at a time? Wondering if there will be any problems with people breaking into it.

Landdr I might be stopping by to chat and get bait.

I have not heard of any break-ins as of yet this year. Last year there was one...I was even out on the lake overnight when it happened and it was only 50 yds away or so but I didn't hear a thing. Would have liked to seen them as they broke into several houses. There have been many people staying out over night so that keeps the break-ins down as most would not dare to try breaking in with all of the people out there.

Should not be any problem putting a permi out off Sax landind of Sheriff's landing. We just moved another one over to Bottle Bay and went off Sax...plenty of room out there. And like many have stated...just stay in the 14 to 16 feet even away from the crowd and you should do fine. I have a map at the store that you can take with you.

I will note...we just moved a house out to Bottle Bay in 16 feet and I sent my parents out to fish in it to test it out. I called them after a few hours and asked how the fishing was...expecting that they were catching them left and right. Not so...they did not catch anything and did not see anything on the camera!! And they were right in the middle of it all. So I sent Dan back out to drill some more holes and move the house. He ended up moving the house about 75 ft. and then it was just as fast as you could put the hook back down the hole...and really nice ones! Amazing that 75 ft. can make the difference but that just shows to move to another spot if the first one does not work.

Everyone is still reporting a great panfish bite out on Waska and reports are still in that 1 out of 5 or 6 being in the 2 to pound range. Lots of pike being reported as well...even one fella that caught a 9.5 pounder on a wax worm with 2 lb. test...said it took him 45 minutes to work him in and twice he was at the end of his real. Great fight!

Weather looks fantastic for this weekend...bring plenty of sun tan lotion!

Fish On!

Landrr coming up Sunday as Saturday I'm jumping into Green Lake in Spicer for the Polar Plunge for Special olympics.. Funny how when a guy is fishing hes tryin to NOT get wet and this sat. Im jumpin in!! Freezin for a Reason !! lol

Quote:
Is the fishing pressure on the sunfish on Waska a good thing to keep the population in check? If there are too many sunfish...will the food and habitat be depleated and therefore cause stunting?

Landdr, I think alot of factors play into sunfish population in Minnewaska. If coontail, cabbage, and milfoil weeds are growing that deep it just gives the bluegills that much cover to hide from predators. Also provides good habitat for spawning grounds for the sunfish and crappies. Maybe Minnewaska is a prime example for the DNR Fisheries to follow as to working towards water clarity, clean up, and resorting native plant species (shoreline and in the lake).

As far as fishing pressure wise it really all depends, because Minnewaska is a pretty big lake and isnt your average 500-1000 acre lake. It can handle lots of fishing pressure like many other Minnesota lakes can, but like every lake it can only substain so much. I think there is fine line where to much fishing pressure isn't good, but neither is very little. You still need predator fish like northerns, bass, bowfin, walleyes, etc. to help substain a healthy bluegill and crappie population. Thats really a tough question and I really don't have the knowledge like a DNR Fisheries guy would, but I do have my opinion from spending time on the water, and just researching. Again selective harvest should be practiced, especially in the spring (May-June).

Its interesting because Minnewaska is a nice sized lake that I honestly don't think the bluegill population would ever get to abundant that the fish would get stunted, like what happens on many smaller lakes, like smaller than 500 acres from overharvest to lack of predactor fish to lack of forage & to many bluegills or crappies that are 5-7 inches. I just think the fishing pressure is there on Waska, along with a healthy predator fish population that those 2 factors alone will keep the bluegill population in check on Minnewaska. One downfall I see with Waska is that its not on a chain of lakes, meaning its really not connected other lakes through river systems (Pelican doesn't count). So thats why it is so vital to buffer or regulate what goes into it, as there isn't an exchange of water coming in and going out of the lake. As you said before landdr, you are what you eat.

Landdr, a buddy of mine and I will be stopping in for a day trip Friday morning. We will probably hit the spot I fished in last time for a while, and after we get some keepers will be scouting around. If you got a spot you want checked out we will be your guys wink I'll even introduce myself - ha!

Quote:
Is the fishing pressure on the sunfish on Waska a good thing to keep the population in check? If there are too many sunfish...will the food and habitat be depleated and therefore cause stunting?

Its interesting because Minnewaska is a nice sized lake that I honestly don't think the bluegill population would ever get to abundant that the fish would get stunted, like what happens on many smaller lakes, like smaller than 500 acres from overharvest to lack of predactor fish to lack of forage & to many bluegills or crappies that are 5-7 inches. I just think the fishing pressure is there on Waska, along with a healthy predator fish population that those 2 factors alone will keep the bluegill population in check on Minnewaska.

I agree with most of your post Bluegill. This is my subjective observation, and I may dead wrong. To me, 3-4 yrs ago the panfish were overabundant and stunted, many with the spots and just didn't look healthy. Pike were alot less frequent, and skinnier also. This was coming off one of the "boom" panfish cycles if I remember correctly. I never remember waska being a year in, year out producer of the numbers of nice panfish it is now. Many years yes, but it has gotten fished down,IMO, in the past. Probably a combination of poor spawning / heavy pressure/ poorer water quality, I don't know for sure.

It is encouraging to here / learn / witness the recent improvement in water quality and how this is helping the panfish, and all fish I believe. I have noticed an improvement in size of pike, esp. last year. I'd think that's helping keep panfish population healthy also. I don't see alot of the stunted, spotted panfish of a few years ago.

It's gonna be interesting to watch / observe over the next couple of years. Great all-around fishery right now. No doubt it'll continue if selective harvest practices increase with the increase in pressure it looks like we're gonna see. I'm not that niave to believe that we couldn't repeat history on waska. I do firmly believe that any lake, no matter size or water quality, can be overharvested by good fisherman with outdated harvest practices. That's a proven fact.

Phone number...guess you have to look it up in the phone book.

Bassmasher...you are nuts! I got a call to do "da plunge" from the Winterama folks...not a chance! I like to be warm and jumping into 36 degree water is not on my list of things to do before I die.

Donk...that sounds great. I do have a couple of spots that I would like checked out. I even have a walleye spot from 4 to 7 pm that I would like checked out if you plan to stick around for awhile. We can talk about it and would be great to post your findings.

Black spots...the black spots are actually a "host response" to an immature larval trematode parasite Apopphallus brevis. The parasite is actually looking for a snail to go through it's life cycle...but when it finds a fish and burrows in, the fish's response is to create a cyst around the parasite called encysted metacercariae. This is the same parasite that also causes swimmers itch...it finds your skin, burrows in and your skins response is to encyst the parasite creating that red bump and the itch. It is completely harmless and does not get into the meat. If you scale your fish, scaling usually gets ride of it but any remaining are killed during cooking. The abundance of this parasite is directly related to the water quality and snail population. Poor water quality typically has more snails which means more parasites...thus the way Waska used to be. With improved water quality, you see less numbers of the snail (typically pond snail) that the parasite is looking for. With improved water quality you have more snails that are less tolerante of poor water quality. (biological indicator species)

Your little "Cliffy Klaven" tech note for the day. smile

Fish On!

Landdr, Sorry about the number question .I read the policy when I joined the family but that alltimers must be setting in.I need to read a little more often as it was right in front of my eyes. My apologies..I'll be up next weekend. Full moon week from monday. Gonna put the hurt on some of those night feeders if you know what I mean.

Beautiful day on the lake yesterday! And already 24 F this morning...should be another great day.

Reports yesterday were still really good with people still catching 1 out of 5 or 6 being 7 to 8 ouncers. A few in said that they had to work a little harder for them this time and think it probably had to do with the fast temperature and pressure change.

I had several people report that they went away from the crowds but stayed in the 14 to 16 ft. depth and did really really well...maybe even better. One group went west further, but still in the same depth, and found some 8 to 10 inch sunfish. Really nice fish! If you look at the 1 ft. contour maps (I have one on the counter now to reference), you will see that there is an extensive line of 14 to 16 ft. depth along the north shore and all of it is fishable. Not to mention the south side which is not even being fished. It can work out well to spread out and try some new areas in that 14 to 16 foot depth.

I heard some good walleye reports out from Lakeside on the Old Road Grade and also west of Priest's Point.

Fish On!

Any reports on the fishing on Minnewaska during the nice weather last week and how the weekend bite was?

Was there any difference with the fast change in temp and pressure?

I know a lot of people went out and it would be great to get some reports.

Thanks!

Fish On!

yea, depended what hole you were fishing in. i couldnt get a bite, my friends did ok and one in particular caught fish all day. ggrrrr. where is your bait store located?

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Was out Sat with 3 other guys and we did alright with alot of hard work but it was definately tough. The fish were a little negative but the warm day more than made up for it. Our pattern that we found worked for us was drilling numerous holes along the weed edges etc and alao looking for open pockets in the weeds. We used our underwater cameras alot it helped for us to identify these areas. The fish were really relateing to these spots. Gill pills were the jigs of choice with not alot of movement (jigging) once the fish were spotted on the electronics. We got some real nice fish but earned them through hard work and persistence. Unbeleiveable the amount of people out there on Sat. Will be back soon!

The fishing was definitely tougher this past weekend, don't know if it was the barometer or what. We came into your store on Friday morning and got a half dozen shiners and some of the red wigglers and proceded to head out to bottle bay. We did mark alot but only caught 6 or so and many perch mixed in. 3 went in the bucket. After a couple hrs sitting in the mix of people I wanted to check out the area that I was in a couple weeks ago and found the road leading that way was blown shut. We baja'ed it and barely made it without getting stuck. After a few more hrs fishing we left with 14 in the bucket and my buddy had to go when the fish seemed to be turning on. Wish I could have stayed, but the taxi ride from Glenwood to St Cloud might have been expensive grin

Great day of fishing on Saturday. Fish were not as agressive in the morning as they have been. Later afternoon was hot. We had triples in the house more often than not. Limits of gills 8.25" to 9"+ were caught, 3 bonus 16" walleyes caught in the middle of the day while jigging for gills.

i must of been on the wrong side of the lake and or in the wrong house! crazyeeksmile oh well it was just good to get out on the ice again.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions