Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

usmtsrocks

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports

2,636 posts in this topic

I was out Monday on the north side. 6" of ice where i was in 13' of water. Only marked a couple fish but I also didn't get out until after sundown.  Has anyone ever fished Lake Malmedal? It appears to have a god walleye population from the survey reports

Edited by jake125

Ice and snow cover updates from over the weekend on Waska?  Any heaves yet?

Was on the lake today. Walked out from the ballroom access. Ice is 10" if not a little more. Big crack I had to cross looks like it froze solid though. No major drifts...some a car or quad may get stuck in. As for fishing was no good! Set up by all the houses got a couple crappie is all. Was out from 630am-1130

Anything happening on waska thinking about taking my daughter there on Saturday or Monday thanks 

16 hours ago, A.C. Outdoors said:

Anything happening on waska thinking about taking my daughter there on Saturday or Monday thanks 

Looking just for action to entertain the kid, or are you looking to catch a meal?  Set up in a pocket or on the edge of weedlines.  Bass and 4"-6" perch have been very active during the day, small jigs with waxies or spikes;  Jigging spoons have been turning bass and pike as well during the day.  Gills and crappies have been very scattered; walleyes hit or miss evenings and overnights.  Fresh report from 2 buddies that live on the lake.

What's the ice conditions like on minnewaska, after this warm and windy weekend? Was hoping to pull permanent up for next weekend

Ol lund you are probably here already.  Today lots of activity on lake and at access's.  Ice is pushing so lakeside accesss was closed, Sax access should be open by tomorrow.  People driving on from DNR access.  If you can get away from all that and get in about 20 ft of water you can catch some walleyes.  What I have caught even since first ice has been mid afternoon.  Best time has been between 3 and 4 with some action before and after but basically done by 4;30pm to 5.  I caught 5 15-17 in walleyes yesterday by 4:30.  Gotta catch a few 24 in northerns in with them.  Once in a while a 27-30 in northern.  Shallower and weedier they are getiing crappies and sunfish but not much for walleyes.  Happy New Year all 

1 person likes this

Any updates on Ice conditions/Access conditions?  Hoping to make it out for the first time this year over the weekend!  Any reports on bites would also be appreciated.  I will try to post a report if I get out...

Well, I went out Friday afternoon/evening from the beach access in Glenwood.  I measured 17" of ice.  Fishing was not good.  Never even marked a fish.  Hope others had good luck, there is a ton of houses out again this year.  Someone ought to be catching them!

Ice went out on Waska March 22nd

Any reports from opening weekend? Heard of an alright bite on Emily but had commitments and couldn't make it out. Planning on getting out in the middle of the week depending on the rain.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

We have had a great week of fishing with a few showers and strong winds.

Up in Canada, jigging on reefs and underwater humps are producing the best in 22-28 ft. with gold, pink and orange jigs. Pulling spinners is also an option on reefs in 22-24 ft of water.

In Minnesota, walleyes and perch have been caught pulling spinners in 18-28 ft. West of Four Blocks, East of Crow Duck and East of Garden Islands, with black and gold being the most effective.

On both sides, muskies have been aggressive when throwing buck tails and top waters on rock reefs.  The algae bloom has slowly begun to pick up, however, fish are still visible.

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      This week’s water temps are 68-70 on the main lake and 71-76 in back bays.
      Minnesota walleyes are taking crawlers and minnows on spinners around reefs with gold/orange and gold/pink being the most productive in 16-25 ft. Deep and shallow crank-baits are triggering fish in the same areas including reef tops early in the day and just before sunset.
      On the Canadian side, jigging reefs continues to fill live wells with walleye and perch, the best results come from jigging the edges of the reef with gold, pink blue and white, tipped with a fathead or shiner.  Reefs surrounded with softer, shallow (20-24ft) bottom will yield walleye and sauger via spinners. 
      Besides the occasional musky caught jigging walleye, the more traditional methods like bucktails over weed/rock transition areas are resulting in fish in the net! Spinnerbaits in the weeds will generate opportunities as well. The Algae bloom is minimal and visibility is still good. 
      We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Here in Minnesota, Walleyes are being landed out of 24-28’ West of Four Blocks. Pulling crawlers in the mud off of structure with Gold and Orange has been successful. 

Water temps have warmed up nicely to 70 degrees on the main lake and mid to high 70's in back bays in the afternoon resulting in Muskies on the hook. Best results have been on smaller baits such as spinners (Slop-master Bucher) and Buck tails.

On the Canadian side, Walleyes have been seen on main lake humps and reefs. Deep Water Bay and East of Monument are good place to start with spinner rigs and bottom bouncers.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Here in Minnesota, Walleyes are being landed out of 24-28’ West of Four Blocks. Pulling crawlers in the mud off of structure with Gold and Orange has been successful. 

Water temps have warmed up nicely to 70 degrees on the main lake and mid to high 70's in back bays in the afternoon resulting in Muskies on the hook. Best results have been on smaller baits such as spinners (Slop-master Bucher) and Buck tails.

On the Canadian side, Walleyes have been seen on main lake humps and reefs. Deep Water Bay and East of Monument are good place to start with spinner rigs and bottom bouncers.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

The water temps have been improving to the upper 60’s and lower 70’s.

Up in the Canadian waters, jigging orange and gold have been producing very well. Areas near Skeet & Kennedy are still putting numbers of eyes and perch in the boat. Bishops Point off the reefs has been producing as well. On the east side of Monument in 22-28 feet has been producing walleye, including many over 25.” Deepwater Bay has been heating up with eater sized Walleyes and the occasional Crappie.

If you are looking to get on a great smallmouth bite, then now is the time! Many people are putting 100+ fish in the boat near tranquil Channel using cranks and spinnerbaits.

On the American side, people have been limited on their distance due to the wind but areas such as Lunatic and Four Blocks have been doing good pulling spinners with crawlers or minnows from 22-26 feet on the East side.

Muskie fishing is now starting to heat up as we get into our fourth week of the season as the water temps have improved to the upper 60's. A few people have been putting mid to upper 40" fish in the boat with many walleye anglers hooking into muskies as well.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Here in Minnesota, water temps are in the low to mid 60’s and the Walleyes keep rollin’ in! Wind blown shorelines are giving up walleyes via leeches and crank-baits right along the weed line. Crawlers on a gold and/or orange spinner are producing fish out of the mud between 22 and 26 feet. Jigging has been tough this week with the strong winds, but the Mayflies have finally tapered off!!

Up on the Canadian side, bottom bouncing has been filling the live wells outside of monument bay between 24-28 feet.  Jigging near Skeet and Kennedy Islands have seen nice sized walleye and numerous perch. Great smallmouth action can currently be had in Tranquil channel and the mouth of Johnston passage. Muskie fishing is still sporadic with high 40” class fish being caught from shallow bottom bays or just outside of them. 

Fish of the Week:
      49" and 46" Muskie
      40" Pike
      At least 10 Walleye over 25" 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.

Thanks in advance!
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, water temperatures have dropped in the past few days due to the strong winds in the area, making boat control a challenge. Wind-blown shorelines have plenty of active fish between 4 and 14ft. Productive presentations include Rapalas and spinner rigs.  The Flats south of Flag Island have stayed consistent this week with a 30” walleye coming out on Saturday!

Muskie fishing is now open and underway in the Northwest Angle. With cooler water temps, fish location and activity has been sporadic. Walleye action off Gardener and Deepwater reefs continue to fill limits with gold and pink jigs being the hot colors in Canada this week. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from Sunset Lodge!!

Fishing is holding strong up in the Northwest Angle! Both the East and West side of Little Oak have been producing large amounts of Walleye and Sauger between 17 and 22ft, with the largest walleye coming out of Sunset Lodge being 29 inches. The flats on the South side of Flag Island (5-7ft) have been putting fish in the box. Spinners and Jigs in Orange and Black are this week’s hot colors. Sharp breaks on the west side of Flag have also been productive. Numerous slot fish coming from the South East side of Garden Island with water temps in the mid to high 60’s.

Our biggest Walleye coming out of Canada this week was a 29.5 inch pig. Jigging seems to be the most productive with gold or pink jigs from tranquil channel to Monkey Rock reef. Gardner Island also been hot up shallow on the South side with Orange and Gold jigs. 

Starting Saturday Muskie season is upon us and the fish are hungry! 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from the Northwest Angle!

With water temps reaching 67 degrees and steadily on the rise, Minnesota is producing fish close to the island at various depths all throughout the day, from shallow rocks to as deep as 26 feet. As long as you are confident in your approach, limits can be obtained on Spinner baits, Daredevils, jigs and spinners. 

It is a fun time to be fishing in Canada, with multiple fish over 20" our best results have been on jigs (orange and gold specifically) with a minnow. Rocky shorelines are producing great numbers of Smallmouths and we are starting to see weeds develop all over the Angle and islands. Just a reminder: Muskie season opens on June 17th!

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• mnfathead
      Camping in Bear head state park this weekend, what can I expect for fishing?? looks decent, also bringing the tube for the kids, 10mph limit in the park so are there any decent public beaches in the area that we could run to for an afternoon of recreational boating, any info would be great, thanks guys!!
    • h8go4s
      Try this: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/superior/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=36905&actid=34 And this: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5295334.pdf
    • Wanderer
      You can say that again.    I've only heard you can't stay in the same place for more than 2 weeks.  I've seen people camping on some way back forest service roads.  They didn't look like designated camp sites to me.   How long/how often do you plan to go?  Tent or camper?
    • monstermoose78
      The deer get used to the small game hunters
    • monstermoose78
      I know of a couple campsites that are free 2 are on a trout lakes I know of a couple campsites that are free 2 are on a trout lakes
    • monstermoose78
      Finn loves America!!
    • monstermoose78
      Good look pup
    • Troy Smutka
      7/24/17     Got my son and one of my daughters out with Grandpa Smutka on Waconia this afternoon (I have football practice every morning this week). We targeted panfish alongside a weedy reef. Small jig spinners (1/8 ounce VMC Mooneye Jig with a #2jig spinner and a 2" Powerbait Minnow) slow rolled over the weed tops caught tons of crappies and a bonus bass. A 1/16 ounce jig with a 1" Power Grub suspended 4 feet below a slip float caught crappies and sunfish, Caught numbers and some nice ones--beautiful weather and great time for the kids spent with Dad and Grandpa. Good luck, take a kid fishing, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • ANYFISH2
      I know back in the day, late 90's, people camped out along (approaches beside it)the forest road along Birch lake.  The road on the right, right before the dam on hwy 1 south of Ely.   I dont know all the legalities of thr forest there, they may or may not have been legal.
    • JB18
      Lets see if this works.. This is her at round lake.   I am not good at remember to take pics.