• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to White Bear....looking for northerns...help?

Hello guys....i've never fished the lake before and am coming up Friday a.m. to fish northerns and bass....i'll buy a map of the lake which should help a little...and have done a little looking back at previous posts....but is there anyone who can offer any helpful advice to pike hunters on this lake? BTW....complete CPR!! Let em' go so they can grow. smile.gif

Thanks gentlemen.

Congratulations, you've picked a lake where it's almost impossible to NOT catch a northern. Just throw a hook and minnow anywhere near any weed edge. That being said however, catching one bigger than a LoneStar longneck bottle is a lot like musky fishing.

Good question! I myself don't care for bobber fishing.. I love casting.. using spinners and rapalas etc. Keeps me busy.

I can't answer your question though.. since I am so new to the lake.. but I did have good luck on Bald Eagle with casting and it's so similar to WBL and so close, I imagine its just the same.

I used Mister Twisters mainly with a variety of colors of powerbait worms.

Can anyone confirm WBL is good with plastics and casting?

You can catch 1-2 pound northerns all day long on White Bear Lake! All you have to do is find 12 feet of water with dense weeds and cast and retrieve a black and orange spinner bait over the weeds. It's that simple!

Plastics work great for all species on White Bear Lake. Twister tails, plastic worms, etc. My favorite plastic bait for bass is a baby brush hog made by Zoom (I think). Put it on a small black jig head and cast it into the docks along the Mahtomedi or Birchwood sides of the lake and you can catch a ton of small bass...and some bigger ones from time to time. If you want to find bigger bass...my experience is they are in deep water...20-30 feet.

DaveyJWBL-
Why don't you try and fix that loud beeping noise your motor makes, so we can fish in peace and quiet. It scares the fish away!!

Was out there last night, trolling perch colerd raps and taildancers got 14 northerns. Biggest was 3#+ lot of 1-1/2#ers
only trolled the point straight out from the Ramsey County Beach in 8-12' of water.

------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

Lundboy14,
It only seems to scare away the fish YOU might catch...I seem to do quite well!

See ya tomorrow night!

Let's take your boat!

DaveyJ-
Cant take mine, still needs fixing from the trip to canada. I still need to rewire the trolling motor. Maybe Scott will drive his.

If Scott can't bring his boat, we can use mine...as long as you quite complaining about my fish attracting oil alarm!!!

Sly, other than lighted bobber fishing at night I don't much care for bobber fishing either. But I purposely said all you'd need is a minnow and a hook, didn't mention bobbers cause you wouldn't need one. You can veritical jig a minnow or cast a jig and minnow and catch northerns till your arms are tired. Yes artificials will probably work too. But like I said if you want BIG northerns, pretend you're musky fishing. Throw musky type baits and consider yourself lucky to catch one fish.

LOL.....I debated whether or not to post my results....but i'm going to swallow my pride..so here it goes. I was on White Bear today...pretty much all day. Nothing. Notta. Zippo. Skunked. I threw spinnerbaits in shallow and deep water...I trolled shad raps and countdowns....I even threw a large buckshot leadhead with a sucker minnow. All this equalled no fish...not even a hit! LOL
I did see ONE small northern caught. LOL I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Right? Quite humbling today.

I was out yesterday from 6:00 till dark going for some muskie's. Between myself and two other we must have caught 15 northerns. None of them were even close to being 2 pounds. Talk about stunted growth.

I've fished WBL for the last week and all I've caught were 1-3lb northerns and a few bass over 16".. Thats about it.

Its been pretty slow for me there

We were out last night from about 6 till dark. Only caught one snake and one bass. Where are the bass?????

was out on white bear today from about 8am to 1pm. mostly trolled spinners and rapalas. caught a few small pike and a 24" musky. saw somone else pull in a hog musky it looked over 10# at a distance.