Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Slyster

Lake Gervais and connected....

Slyster

I live so close to Gervais.. any success at this lake or the connected lakes? My biggest haul was around 50 feet of fishing line into my trolling motor the other day.

Lost

From the DNR reports there are very limited numbers of Tiger Muskie's in there. Decent Northerns. A few larger LMB. Lots of small black crappies and other sunnies. There's gotta be something in Gervais that you can find.

Soon as I get a boat, we'll hafta travel the waters together and see what can be found.

Mr. Pike1

I have now lived by Gervais for the better part of two years. This lake supports all species of fish. If you have children and want them to keep busy cathing panfish you will have no problem on Gervais. There is a huge population of sunfish in the 6" or less class. I would target the beach area by the fishing peer. You can also find them on many of the shorelinse with weeds or structure.

The fishery also has a good population of crappie's. This year I saw an outstanding population of 8-10" fish being caught in the channel to Kohlman lake. One problem is the word got out and I witnessed people illegally taking fish by the 100's on a daily basis for the better part of 4 weeks. This will have a huge impact on the crappie population for years to come as this is a very small body of water and can not sustain this kind of pressure.

There is a better then average population of large mouth bass and tiger musky. The fishin pressure is low and you have a chance at getting trophy tiger from these waters along with the occassion 4-5 lb bass. I have heard that there are small mouth but never seen one myself.

The Pike population appears to be very limited. I have caught a few and seen others get a few but for the most part suprising few pike in this body of water. I would think the pike would flurish in this lake with the strong perch and sunfish and minnow population.

The Walleye population is average but the bite is very odd and you really have to work for them. It is stocked annually and like any stocked lake you will have good years and bad depending on the success of the year classes and fishing pressure. The ice bite for them seems to be best. However, I have not fished the lake much this year so once I get out one night after work I can share more. If anyone gets out give a report.

One final fish of note is the carp. There are some real beasts in this lake. I have caught one threw the ice that went 20 lbs and have seen many on the NW shoreline that appeared much larger. I know they are not a sport fish but boy can they be fun to battle on light equipment...

Slyster

Eeek! So in otherwords.. it's basically a sunny lake? (my son did in fact catch his first fish ever here.. a sunny last month!)...

Anyone else have any experience on this lake(s) so I can give her another try???

Maximum12

Slyster, Mr. Pike summed it up pretty well. There are some nice bass in the lake in addition to the panfish. There are also walleye, but I'll echo Mr. Pike in that their an odd lot. I've been out in "ideal" conditions & not had a bite, yet one August in 6' of water my ***** boatmate dropped his leech under the boat & started hauling up 'eyes in 90 degree heat.

It's a nice little lake if you live close by. The fishery is decent & there's not a huge amount of recreational traffic.

addicted

MR PIKE 1

I haven't seen you out in awhile, Have you given up on gervais?

------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

Mr. Pike1

Addicted, I have been working 10-12 hour days 6 days a week and with a family that has put a large strain on my fishing time. I did go to lake of the woods for a week recently and last weekend I spent a three day weekend on Lake Vermillion. This Saturday I am going into the office from 5-10 in the morning and then plan on getting out somewhere for a bit Saturday evening or early Sunday morning to enjoy some relaxation. Garvais may fit the bill as it is close and limited boat traffic to deal with.

Have you been out this year? Any reports. When I do get out I am going to hit my favorite little spot on the North side. I also am going to toss for bass and tiger musky in the beach area of the weedline. There are way more tiger musky in this lake then anyone realizes. I have seen some monsters. What I do find surprising is why there is not a bigger Northern population in this lake.

Slyster

Lets 3 or 4 of us coordinate and meet up on Gervais! I have a boat that COULD hold 4 but tight.. (14 foot Lund w/15hp) but maybe you have better? Anyone else interested? Got one email of an interested person. Post here.

I'm in! (any day.. have the summer off)

phin101

Hit Gervais last night with the wife and son. Didn't do too much. The storm had the fish off until close to dark. Did manage a skinny 18" largemouth and three small 10" eyes along with oodles of 6" gills. Do the gills get any bigger than 6-7 inches out there. What's the scoop with the launch parking lot? Do they enforce the two poorly marked handicap spots? I was disappointed to see a truck parked in one of the spots with no trailer attached. The adjacent car lot was empty, but I guess it was too far to walk or something. They were still inside the truck so I have a feeling they were saving a spot for someone who wasn't there yet. Not very sportsman like if you ask me. I'm glad there was a spot left for me or I would have caused a scene.

addicted

I've been out a few times. I've caught quantity of eyes but nothing over 11", although I saw a really nice one Catched Photo & Releaed. Crappies have been consistent,I have been C&R them,they got s hsrd enough time in spoon, and kohlman channel. Last night I got out for half hour and picked up a 16" Bass trolling rapalas along my favorite line. I was in my 12' duck boat, hopefully I'll get my lunker on the lift tommorrow for the weekend. Water Temps have been fluctuating so much, that the fish I've been marking have been in 20+ water and jaws have been locked tight. There have been some nice Muskies and Notherns caught on flat warm mornings,and bass I have caught have been healthy and the bite has been consistent.

Hopefully you'll be able to get out this weekend, I'll swing by if I see you.

Phin 101 was that you off the point at dusk?

------------------
Addicted

[This message has been edited by addicted (edited 06-24-2004).]

Mr. Pike1

I will be out this weekend...working in the morning on Saturday so will target the evening bite perhaps 6-9 ish. I may try Sunday morning as well..

Concerning the sunfish question I have heard from guys on the ice that they have gotten the bigger fish but I personally have never seen anything but the 6-7" ers. This spring there was an unbelievable population of 10" beautiful black crappies in the channel to Kohlman. They go hammered and I am sure that this year class was detroyed so it could be a few years again until the next solid 10-12" crappie's. That is what I find very odd. The crappies can get 10-12 but the sunfish seem stunted. I stopped at the fishing peer on Sunday night and they were hammering and keeping these sunfish which could be good as it might help balance the oversupply of sunnies.

Glad to hear the report on Pike being caught by addicted. If anyone out on Saturday evening look for me in the black lund Mr. Pike.

Zaraspooks

Plan on hitting this lake on Saturday morning. I'll leave an update later in the day.

The Spook

luv2fish

I plan on taking my son there for his 1st fishing trip eve (he is so pumped). Those 6 - 7 inch sunfish sound like what we are looking for. Since I have never fished this lake, I am wondering what would be the best spot to get him some action. He is still pretty young, so catching fish is going ot be the key to him having fun.

Thanks!

By the way, I will be in a green Crestliner superhawk if anyone wants to stop by.

luv2fish

Bump.....

Any hot spots out there?

Mr. Pike1

luv2fish, Try the beach area outside of the fishing pier. The weedy shoreline across from the beach will produce a gazzilion 6" sunfish as well. Another good are would be the channel as you come out of spoon to Gervias. This is a very shallow area so be careful with the motor or the connecting channel into Kohlman. Kohlman lake also has a ton of these little tikes. Keep focused as while fishing for pan fish you may get a few nice bass or that monster tiger musky just looking for fight...Good luck !!!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 06-25-2004).]

Zaraspooks

Hit the lake today from about 6AM to Noon. Started with Lindy Rigs and jigs to try for walleye - Nothing. Went to Flu Flus and bobbers for some panfish - Nothing. Finally ended up working docks with Senkos - Bingo. Ended up with 14 bass (all released) ranging any where from dinks to one just about 4lbs. Was a great day to be on the lake.

The Spook

Mr. Pike1

Any other reports? I went out with my father to a lake in his area with some success. I left the boat hooked up to go out early however I was not in the mood to get rained so did not go...

addicted

Got out friday night, small eyes & Perch were only caught. I'm getting frustrated, I know there are bigger ones out there. I'll be tryoing again tonite

Mr. Pike1

Any other reports. I drove by the North end mid-afternoon and 4 or 5 boats real real close to my honey hole...It made real nervous that maybe someone found my spot. I did toss a bobber from shore on the south side just to scratch that fishing itch...Got a few bass and a mix of 6" sunnies..

addicted

Last night Lindy rigged with an w/o spinners crawlers and after losing too many, switched to fatheads small sunnies, perch, bass and walleyes. Saw all the action on the north end, as well. Anyone want to report on it?

------------------
Addicted

matix10

Was out sat and today caught alot of nice bass in kohlman lake the biggest was 4 1/2 lbs caught 3 muskies nothing over 30 inches. hit up the docks on gervais caught a few nice bass. all and all a good couple of days on this lake.