• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tackle questions...

I see so many posts here in this forum and have a few key questions as a metro newbie. First of all I have to say my overall best lure from my lifetime of fishing has been the "Mister Twister" (spinner with a metal V connecting to a jig head with one plastic worm of various colors)

1- When people say "plastics"... what is that? Mister Twister or equivalent?

2- When people just say "jigs" is that only the jig head and a plastic worm?

3- When people say "flipping jigs" what is that?

4- "Spinner baits"... is the pretty much a mister twister as well? Jig head with worm and one spinner?.. again like a "Mister Twister...

Anyone use Mepps or Rapalas or Redeyes and such very often?

From my experiences.. mainly on canoe trips to the BWCA and Quetico.. a Mister Twister type lure or a red eye/daredevil does it ALL... is that simplistic or pretty much the truth?

AND... does color really matter? Or is that more our own likes and dislikes of colors?

Thanks...

Your in learning lots...

Slyster,

Descriptions of these could be endless, but I'll give some.
Platics-Could be anything from a Larvea imitation to worm, lizard, frog, minnow, crawfish and many more. They can be plain plastic, some are scented impregnated. You can view a whole line at http://catchn.com/
Plastics have a endless list of ways they can be rigged, some of the more common are- On a jig, Texas, Carolina, under bobbers is very common for panfish. Sorry I dont have pics.

Jigs have a wide variety as well.

Fireball are probably the most common. Jigs can come in all shapes and sizes and colors. Some have Rattles built in, some have spinners attached. some have a barbed collar on the shank to help hold bait/plastics in place. You can see some jigs at http://www.jrstackle.com/index.html

Flippen jigs are uasually a heavier jig that has a skirt on it and some have a weedless wire on it to help not to catch every weed in the lake. Mostly used in heavy cover or pitching under dock, ect.

Spinnerbaits are the V shaped bait with the skirted hook on one end of the V and 1 or 2 spinning blades on the other. Plastic or live bait can be added but mostly used as is. Can be casted and retrieved or trolled. Can even be worked with a jigging action in the retrieve.

This is just a very brief answer to your question.

As for thwe BWCA- it can be that simple but I would have a little more variety for fishing deeper and shallow. Jigs and plastic can be very deadly there and doesn't take up much room. Also some of the shallow running crankbaits can be very productive. You can see them also at JR's website.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

Color makes a huge difference. Sometimes fish wont bite anything until ya get the right color combination. You do have to experiment to see what exactly they are going after that particular day.

Thanks you two... the post are helpful! Anyone else have anything to add?

What is "crankbait"? Is that simply anything that is casted and retrived over and over? Like my faves Mister Twister and Daredevils?

Well mr.twister is usually associated with jigs, and derdivels are spoons. Crankbaits are usually hard bodied lures that resemble a minnow. They can have small or large plastic lips on them depending on how deep they dive. They are made to be cast over and over again and require no live bait. There is usually 2 or 3 treble hooks on the lure and it is a tool normally for cantacting active fish with. You are usually not going to finess a fish into biting a crankbait, you are looking for a reaction strike.

Crankbaits are usually made to imitate a fish. Think of Rapala lures and you've got your basic crankbait.

Dardevil's are spoons. Basically, a bent piece of metal that wobbles when retrieved, semi-imitating a swimming fish.

Both of these can be cast and retrieved or trolled.