Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
FisherMommy

Coon Rapids Dam Questions

FisherMommy

Where is it?

Is there a dock?

I've heard there are alot of carp and bullheads. Any tips on how NOT to catch them?

I've been wanting to go there buy haven't had a chance too because I too, don't know where it is and am at the mercy of my friend since he knows where it is.

As for the suckers etc, just don't use worm, corn, or anything of that nature.
I think theres pikes, eyes and bass there so use your normal pike, eyes, and bass lures would be my best bet..

Riverratpete

Don't use corn or worms and keeper off the bottom, that should keep the bullys and carp off, theres plenty of places to fish on either the Brooklyn Park side or the CR side. Normally do pretty good using light jigs and plastics and spinners (mepps).

FisherMommy

Thanks so much!!!

Much easier to figure out, lets just hope I remember. I can't believe the fish fall for all that... with no live bait.

Thanks again!! Now I just have to figure out where it is.

Lost

FisherMommy, I go to Coon Rapids Dam all the time. It's easy to get to. But where are you coming from? That will determine the directions I give. Of course, if you want, we could always meet somewhere and you can follow me if you don't trust my directions.

I've been trying to catch carp all week and don't worry, I haven't caught any. I've hardly seen any caught this year.

You might want to head out there this Saturday for the Carp Festival. All kinds of kids activities, a carp fishing contest, and concerts going on.

FisherMommy

***Warning****

~Un-fishing-educated female~

Ok, thanks for the tips, but I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to lures.
My daughter and I have only recently started fishing. We went out twice last summer and have gone out every few days for the last three weeks so I'm not up on all the fishing lingo.....
Generally we use a hook that has an orange or pink head, put a crawler or minnow on, and drop 'er in and cross our fingers. We tried leeches the other day, but I can't get them to stay on, plus I can't seem to get over my fear of them (long story) so we're back to minnows, crawlers are too messy.
I'm guessing a spinner is a lure with a shiny silver thing that spins in the water. I tried that the other day with no luck so I put my orange one back on and caught a bass. Although, that shiny one did catch a few crappies last week.
I don't know what a jig or a plastics, or what normal pike, eyes and bass lures would be.

So basically, just don't fish the bottom and we'll be alright?

pjfweb

Yes, for the most part carp, suckers and bullhead feed off the bottom... so keeping your bait off the bottom certainly helps your chances of staying away from them.

[This message has been edited by pjfweb (edited 06-16-2004).]

fishermommie,
Here are some pictures for you to reference.

grasshopper.jpg

daredevil.jpg

For Bass
05-Jigs.jpg

09050.jpg

Bass
3-8spinner.jpg

For Northern Pikes
Five_of_Diamonds.jpg

For Walleyes
walleyegreenchart.jpg

[This message has been edited by webwarrior (edited 06-16-2004).]

pjfweb

As for baits... the hook with an orange and/or pink head would be called a jig. There are many different types of jigs, but what you describe is a jig of some kind. A minnow or leech is your best bet for bait with a jig so using minnows should be just fine.

When it comes to spinners, yes are correct about the 'shiney' blade that spins, but again there are all kinds of spinners... Mepps is a brand of spinner and they make 'in-line' spinners. This kind has one straight shaft and normally a treble-hook (three hooks in one) on the back side. For the most part Mepps baits have one spinner on the shaft and do work well for northern and bass.

Plastics are the plastic or rubber feeling baits that look like a worm, minnow, crawfish...etc. These are normally used with a jig in place of live bait like a minnow or leech. Berkley is one of the biggest names that makes plastic baits.

Hope this helps...

pjfweb

webwarrior... pictures are much better smile.gif

pjfweb
Yeah I figure she has a bad enough time trying to figure out what is what so if I should her pictures, next time she goes to the store, she'll recognize what she needs

FisherMommy

Thanks for the link!

Lost, I think we're going to go either tonight or tomorrow, she's going to the Dells with her father on Saturday morning, so no fishing partner for me. There was a bit on the news this morning about the Carp fishing contest, sounds like fun. Except I don't know if I can bring myself to touch a carp. Sounds like fun anyway. If you go on Saturday, I hope you get the boat!

As for the directions, a friend told me to take Hanson south to Coon Rapids Blvd, go left and then right again on Egret. Hope that works!

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help with lures and tips and such!!!

[This message has been edited by FisherMommy (edited 06-17-2004).]

ogre

what all is a normal catch by the ****? I have been looking for a place to fish in the area because I get off of work in the area and want to kill some time until russ hour passes. I get off between 6 and 7 am and a was hoping to catch more then bottom feeders.

fishermommy,
I'll be at the dam tonight doing some pike and walleye fishing so if you have any questions, you can ask me.
I will be wearing my famous fishing hat~~

The Grebe

Coon Rapids Dam? You probably picked a pretty tough spot to learn about fishing!

Snags on the bottom, snarls of broken,heavy mono attached to those snags, current and lots of it, if a person somehow ends up in the water, it might be a pretty dicey deal, (Unless you are fishing the little "spur" off the main river) terrible footing and lots of other lines in the water!

It's enough to try the patience of a seasoned angler and send a new person in another direction!

There is another area on the Rum river, right in Anoka, by the court house, a dam, a fishing pier( At least there used to be one there a couple of years ago) and alot easier to learn on. There is a fishing pier at the little lake in Champlin, where West River Road and #169 meet.

All them lures you would be pitching up at Coon Rapids Dam, will end up like most other sinking lures....hooked fast to a snarl, or a snag. If you want to throw a lure, try a 4 inch gold Rapala, a floater,
pull the knot up to the top of the eye and fish it both ways, down stream on the way down, up stream on the way back...enjoy!

The Grebe

Coon Rapids Dam? You probably picked a pretty tough spot to learn about fishing!

Snags on the bottom, snarls of broken,heavy mono attached to those snags, current and lots of it, if a person somehow ends up in the water, it might be a pretty dicey deal, (Unless you are fishing the little "spur" off the main river) terrible footing and lots of other lines in the water!

It's enough to try the patience of a seasoned angler and send a new person in another direction!

There is another area on the Rum river, right in Anoka, by the court house, a dam, a fishing pier( At least there used to be one there a couple of years ago) and alot easier to learn on. There is a fishing pier at the little lake in Champlin, where West River Road and #169 meet.

All them lures you would be pitching up at Coon Rapids Dam, will end up like most other sinking lures....hooked fast to a snarl, or a snag. If you want to throw a lure, try a 4 inch gold Rapala, a floater,
pull the knot up to the top of the eye and fish it both ways, down stream on the way down, up stream on the way back...enjoy!

Lost

Webmaster, maybe we saw each other, maybe we didn't. I was there tonight.

The Grebe, you must be mistaken. I started my fishing at Coon Rapids Dam. And my experience this year is that I've been snagging and losing gear at the Anoka Dam on the Rum River rather than at Coon Rapids Dam. Of course, you need to be careful just below the main dam. There's a lot of wood, including entire tree trunks, floating around.

Fishermom, come look us up! Several of us will be there for the Carp contest. If nothing else, you'll learn a little about them and maybe won't fear them any more. Personally, I think catfish are grosser and northern's, by far, are slimier.

I'll be the one in the white "BigFish" baseball cap.

mistermom

Fishermommy!
I like your name!

Minnows kept a foot or so off the bottom with a bobber would be the easiest way to keep the rough fish off. But there are no guarantees. You may have to handle carp or bullheads regardless of what you use.

mm

The Grebe

Lost....I don't know, I've been fishing that area of the river off and on since I was a kid, used to have to pay the farmer on the west river road side 25 cents to park there....I don't believe I'm mistaken, unless all the rubble from building the present dam, all the rocks and old deadheads that collect cat and carp fishermens busted mono, somehow went away?

Maybe they did, maybe they did'nt, I tend to think they are still there and offer a word of caution to a new fishermen, that might go through a bundle of expensive lures.

FisherMommy

My daughter and I went down there last night. We fished from about 5:30 to 6:45, and then walked down and watched the band. In the short time we fished, neither of us got a bite. I did see a lot of fish jumping, just couldn't convince them to bite either of our hooks. There were a couple guys that came to where we were at about 6:30, one of them got a little sunny.

I think I saw you, Webwarrior, or at least someone with a hat just like yours.

My daughter and I were fishing down on the sand next down from the walk bridge, on the Coon Rapids side of the dam.

Lost, If I knew what any of you guys looked like, I might venture down there, but I don't want to walk around asking people if their name is Lost, or Webwarrior..... I might end up in a straight jacket on my way to the hospital. Plus, if my daughter finds out I went fishing without her, I'll be in a whole lot of trouble.

The Grebe, yes, I think I have been sent in another direction because of that current. I haven't the slightest idea how to fish in a current. I prefer the still water where you can just drop a line and let the bobber and the bait do the work for you.

ATM

fishermommy, dont give up on the dam quite yet, with all the rain there is just to much water coming out to fish the dam effectively. I grew up in coon rapids and spent nearly every day of my childhood down there fishing. When the water level goes down the fish become concetrated and are much easier to catch. You also will get more slack water areas that you can cast a bobber into and avoid some of the snags that were talked about earlier. Adam

cora11kasia4

Hey fishermommy,

I too am a mom with two girls I started fishing with last summer. We mostly take a day out and go up by the brainered area to do some fun fishing. I just pick a lake and start fishing. We were all new to the tackle and everything but we just asked people in fishing stores, bait shops and while fishing any one fishing too You would be surprised they love to help you so don't feel stupied just ask all the detailed questions you want and let them know you need every detail because you are new. We have learned quite a bit and have allot of fun.

As for leaches I had a fear of them while I was a kid but now I love the jumbo leaches and find that I now regularly fish with them. I have caught more with them so I am glad I got over the fear. I was told to dry them off with a towel at first so they won't stick on you they will curl up in a ball and are easier to hook a little under the sucker. That worked for a while for the most part but now I realized they don't stick to you hard enough to where you can't get them off and I now just grab them and put them on. Don't worry alot of people have a fear of leaches but when I fish with them I have gotten them all over the fear.

If you would ever like to go fishing with me and my daughters you are more than welcome. I fish the shore line and I am not a pro but I do know a little to get you started. Just let me know. I live in lino lakes and do fish the metro area too.

------------------

oompa1028

The Coon Rapids Dam is a very unique place, simply because of all the fish diversity. I can go there and catch Walleye, Bass, Northern, Carp, Sheephead,Channel Catfish, Crappie, and even the occasional Muskie. If your looking to go fishing with your daughter I would say your best bet at catching a lot of fish is down the bank maybe 150-200 yards away from the dam. I come in on the Coonrapids side and then cross over the first part of the dam. I turn left and go down the bank. It's a sandy shoreline with some trees overhanging. There is some deep water maybe ten to twelve feet of the bank. If your looking to catch Catfish i would reccomend using a weight, maybe 3\4 ounce to 1 ounce, depending on the current. If this doesn't make sense i'll give you some pics at the end. Use a swivel to seperate the weight from your leader and hook. Take a look at the picture and you might understand better.

Lost

FisherMommy, not sure if we talked or not. Did you go down the little ramp in that first area? I was there with my white BigFish cap on. I know a few people left the area to go listen to the music.

If you want to know what I look like, here's one pic of me:
gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id

This pic was taken as my entrance into an online ice-fishing photo contest. Needed to see the logo on my shirt and the hook safe (little triangular thingy) and some snow in the picture to qualify. I got a bit chilly while taking this picture of myself. It was a warm 36 degrees at the time.

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 06-19-2004).]