• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia - and frustrated...

You have to fish very slow for the big bass right now. There are a few shallow and some post spawn fish deep. The best pattern has been dead sticking scenko's. Throw it out and wait for them to pick it up. Don't move it. Flippin jigs and other fast paced patterns have not been producing any fish.
Good Luck
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!

Went out tonight on the lake around 7:00 or so for a couple hours. In that time i was able to nab about 10 bass flipping the reed edges using a 4 1/2" dark tube and a 1/4oz weight, texas rigged. Some fish hit right away, others were after it was in the water a little longer.

First fish of the night was a 20 1/4" girl, hacked up some from the spawn and feisty. Nice start for sure, the rest were between 16 and 18 inches, making up more fun. Reeds were more productive than the grass that grows with them as well.

Sunfish were all over, busting the surface and providing me taps throughout my casts. Good luck.
-Catchin' Whopper

bassmastermatt,

What's a good technique for catching bass during the day? My in-laws have a place on Blue Lake in Isanti county and I've been fishing it quite a bit. We catch a lot of bass in the early morning and evening on scenko worms and/or jig and leech combos. The bass are obviously more aggressive and are feeding during those times. We fish shallower points during those prime times.

Do the fish usually go deeper during the day? There are some weedy humps that come up to 7' from 15-20', but they don't seem to hold fish. Also, none of the fish will hit topwaters or spinner baits. I'm guessing I should fish the deeper weed lines, but I'm not sure how to find them. I don't have the best depth finder and I usually just go by site when looking for a weed line.

We've kept a few smaller bass that we thought were males, but they were full of eggs. Shouldn't the bass have finished spawning by now?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

John

Going out in the morning aroudn 5am. Will post back later if I have any luck. Going to be a variety day. I have a new muskie rod to break in, but I want to get some more bass and crappie before they scatter for the hot part of the year.

Went out Friday night in the wind. Whoa baby! Wasn't too much pressure to say the least. Casted for skies and got just a couple decent bass over the milfoil. Had 2 good thumps but missed em both, who knows. Fished a little for some eyes and got a few small ones. Pretty tough conditions but the way Ma Nature's been this year I'm starting to get used to it!

Haworth, The 16" limit has already paid off for the Eyes in Waconia.

I have not had much luck for walleys on Waconia in teh last three years... I am going out this afternoon and will try again wink.gif One thing against me is that I generally go fishing mid morning to mid afternoon. I need to get going much earlier or later most likely.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

I agree with Rainman, the slot on Waconia has definately paid off. If you can find them there are some gorgeous fish swimmin around during open and hard water. Most of the year the midday bite can be tough without some decent conditions. The early and late day bite are much better. Patience and persistence seem to be the best tactics on this lake and sooner or later they pay.