• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crooked Lake Help!! Where, When, How???

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get to this lake from Coon Rapids Blvd. Also, is there a boat landing? I have a 16 foot Tracker and want to take my brother and young nephew fishing Saturday. Any sunnies or crappie? Bass maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping for some decent crappie or sunnies and maybe a bass, pike, or walleye as a bonus if lucky! I've never fished it but understand it is in Coon Rapids.

up county road 9 round lake blvd from highway 10 - north about a mile. take a right and I landing will be on the right side. about a half mile east of county 9 across from meadow creek school. haven't fished it in years, but I think it has some special regs on the bass.
gte

HMMM........decisions, decisions, where shall we start for sunfish and crappies you can catch your hearts desire off of the dock, just get there early and fish until the crowds come, you can still catch them with crowds but its packed, people casting over your line. southern pro tubes and crappie delights have been working pink or chartreuse for me.

As far as bass go, fish the milfoil, there is a ton of it so poke and prod the pockets of them, the weed growth is slim right now but there are alot of dead stuff standing, skipping docks with a texas rigged black worm has been good in the past. Senkos caught a majority last weekend there as did jerk shads.

For walleyes, they really are a bonus there but right off of the first point on your left there is a deep hole fish there for starters, other wise troll cranks off the weedlines, you can do this for northerns too.

Hope this helps!
Best Fishes
Chris

Crooked Lake is full of bass and panfish. Its all catch and release for bass, but you can bring home some panfish for a meal if you want. I would try the breakline and shoreline just out from the beach/fishing dock area. A lot of panfish and bass in that area, roaming anywhere from 2-8 feet of water right now amongst the weeds and open pockets. The breakline and weededge just off the southern bay is a good spot to try too. Panfish will also be back in the southern bay as well. Bring an assortment of plastics with you for the panfish, as well as some crawlers. I like to use Panfish Stingers by Southern Pro in all white or else white/red for the crappies and gills, but other 1.5 inch plastics will work as well. 1/32 oz jig heads. Drop them below a float about 18 inches. Add a small piece of crawler to change things up from time to time and see what works best. For bass I would throw some tandom spinnerbaits. All white is good, or else white/chartreuse. Don't be afraid to go right through the weeds either, those bass are stacked up in there and will hold to the weeds. Stay moving and try to hit as many pockets as possible, they are out there. You might also hook into a few pike too.

The panfish are still staging and you will see crappies holding in the weeds if the sun is high. They won't be as aggressive with high sun and clear skies, but the gills will be going crazy. But if you get an overcast day then the crappies will turn on and hit whatever you put in front of them. Not a lot of big fish, but some constant action. Good luck!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I have a friend who lives near there and he said his boys go to the pier and catch all kinds of fish. Not too long after the opener his boys caught their limit of walleyes right off the fishing pier.

Have fun at LETS this weekend MJ, we'll see how we do up there on the Big Puddle, cant wait for the night ban to get off though! Nothing like watching that lighted bobber sink under the waves on a nice rockpile!
Best Fishes
Chris

I go there about once a week and fish off the pier. It's great when there's just a few people and the regulars aren't out there making all kinds of noise, getting drunk, and smoking illegal substances. Every time I go out there I catch a few smaller walleye's. I'm sure you can find larger ones in there with your boat.

Someone caught a real nice northern from the dock a couple weeks ago. Weighed in at about 11 lbs.

Bass are biting good in the weeds but they are immediate release only. My question is, what if you actually catch a state record in this lake? Do you still have to release it immediately?

Last year I was fishing in the south bay in about 3ft of water and pulled out a nice bass, had to weight around 6lbs, very nice fish. There are alot of big bass in there you just have to find them..

Go north on Round Lake Blvd to Bunker, go right. The boat landing is about 1/2 mile down on your right. To get to the fishing pier, keep going past the boat landing to Crooked Lake Blvd (second right after the boat landing), go right and the parking lot is about a mile down the road. You will see the playground.

Someone caught a walleye there the last time I was there. We caught a bunch of sunnies but nothing worth keeping. I was told that the sunnies get a lot bigger in that lake than what we got though. And the bass are super stocked in that lake, but it's catch and release only on bass.

I hit Crooked this morning for a few hours, concentrating on bass, and hoping for a bonus pike or crappie. I used weightless tubes around/near docks to start. Not too bad, lots of "cookie cutter" 13 inchers. I then started fishing the slop with a drop-shotted 4" robo worm in a two-tone purplish color rigged wacky style( the color is called Folkestad Special). Almost every cast yielded a bluegill, crappie, or bass. You had to let the bass "mouth" the baits for a few seconds, otherwise you missed them. Had to quit shortly after 10:00 to make it to work on time!

Largest bass ran 16.5". The crappie were fairly small 8-9 inchers, but one of the blugill was a bruiser!

Released all om them for someone else to catch!

Good luck!

Anyone know how deep the walleye are and what they are catching them on? My nephew has NEVER caught a walleye and it would be awesome for him to get one. Also, is fishing better in the early morning or mid to late afternoon? Thanks for all of the posts!!!!!!!!!!!

the earlier the better, it wont be long now and the tubers and water skiers will be tearing the lake to pieces, get aout there as soon as possible. I might be down there tomorrow before work, swing into the camping section of sportsmen warehouse and tell me how you did! My name is Chris, cant miss me!
Best Fishes
Chris

Chris,

I went with my bro and nephew. We started out on the south end near the busy road or highway (I'm not sure which). We got one medium sized bass in the first 2 minutes and then nothing for the next 30 minutes. It was quite shallow and very clear. We then headed just south of the fishing pier and anchored. We caught tons of small sunnies and a few crappie in 4-8 feet near the weeds. Also an occasional dink bass. We then moved out into 12 feet of water in the northern half of the lake and caught a couple of TINY walleye (6-8 inchers). Moved back to 7 feet and caught sunnies and a few crappie about as fast as yopu could get your line in the water. All of the fish were quite small, but it was fun just catching all of the fish. We fished from 9:30am to 4:40pm and probably caught 75-100 fish total. It would be nice if there was some size, but still had a good time (between showers).

Glad to hear you had a good trip then, we will have to make time and set up a trip sometime!
best Fishes
Chris

Has anyone been out there lately??
I drive by the parking lot each day and notice about 10 cars in the parking lot.

My daughter and I have been out there the last couple of nights.

She caught 3 good size bass last night around 9 o'clock (I'm never going to hear the end of it either). The guys on the dock said the first two were about 1.5 lbs. each and the third one was a few inches bigger than those, but we were the only two left at that point so I have no idea how much they weighed.

She was pretty depressed that we couldn't bring them home.

Those were her biggest fish yet so it was pretty cool to see her face when she got that first one out of the water. By the third one she was bummed that it wasn't too much bigger than the first one.

Last summer she got a 12" crappie and I got a 11.5" sunny on Knife Lake. I didn't even know sunnies and crappies could get that big!!! Then come to find out those aren't even close to record fish.

She's a better fishergirl than me, I only got two crappies last night and neither one of us got anything the night before.

One guy left with two buckets full of crappies and sunnies so the fishing must have been really good before we got there.

Got to love those bucket fillers frown.gif

------------------
---------------------------------------------

GET-ER-DONE

Because I live so close, I hit Crooked regularily... My buddy and I could easily pull a dozen eater walleyes out (not that we kept them all), but now that this "walleye craze" has taken over this weedy little local lake, you're lucky to get one. I think that its too bad that these walleyes will be fished out before they can even spawn.. The fishing boat traffic at the lake has tripled as of late and its just too bad that the walleyes are already getting fished out...

i grew up on crooked and fish bass all the time (not so much in the last couple of years). since when did crooked have walleyes i know the tried stocking them 20 yrs ago??? and when did the sunnies get bigger than 5". when were little we used to catch boatloads of sunnies and kill them because they were 2"-3" and their was a billion of them and they were stunted.

[This message has been edited by mnbass2002 (edited 06-09-2004).]

Not sure when the eyes got in there but they are definitely there. Catch them all the time off the fishing pier. Throw them all back.

I think fishermommy was refering to the largest sunnie's she and her daughter have ever caught... had nothing to do with Crooked lake.

Alex, when we heading out again? Im thinking the smallies or eyes? Been fishing crooked lately, doing alright. I talk to you at football camp today. PS I didnt know you even look here anymore? lets get a plan and oh yeah I got three Interceptions coming off you today! I can feel it 2 1.2 hours left!
Best fishe
Chris

Matt-
Thanks for the welcome and the congrats for my daughter! She is officially addicted to fishing now, and has become an expert, pointing out how to cast the "right" way, and the "right" way to reel in, the "right" way to put the worms and minnows on, and so on and so forth.

mnbass2002-
Yes, I was referring to a different lake (Knife Lake near Mora) when I mentioned the sunnies and crappies. Sorry for the confusion.
I have been told the sunnies get a lot bigger than the 4" ones we were catching but I have yet to find one off the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I were on the dock Monday night. Two Pikes and a 5lb. bass got caught, unfortunately not by either of us.

Oh yea, and a duck, and a turtle.

[This message has been edited by FisherMommy (edited 06-18-2004).]

Well I am hoping to be on the lake by 6am saturday morning trying for Bass.

Has anyone been having any luck on the lake lately?? I am taking the boat out tomorrow morning and hoping for a good bite.

mnwild
I was out on Tuesday Bassin. Only managed to boat four small fish. We worked the outside weedlines with plastics.