• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Isls / Calhoun Bass

I'm thinking of throwing the canoe in tonight to work the bass for a while. Anyone been out there this week? I figured on starting at the islands.

Also, if the bass aren't cooperating, how has the pike and walleye bite been?

Thanks.

I dont have any current repots .. but the fishing is usually good if you dont mind pitching heavy jigs in the milfoil beds. Northerns are not usually that hard to find, the walleyes can be sporatic, but can offer excellent fishing if you can get on top of them... all the advice I can give is to stay shallow.

If anyone is on an Isles bite .. I dont expect anyone to talk.. people are very tight lipped about that lake.

Well... There were a few of us out, and the bass were definitely there. I caught about a dozen in the 2lb+ range, and one that was probably pushing 4lb. They hit a variety of presentations, but topwater was effective, and the most fun. Plus, it stayed above the weeds.

Not giving away any particular spots, but they were pretty obvious to anyone who's fished bass in the early season.

I was out last weekend on Calhoun and Isles for the first time and had mixed success. Got three nice bass 15"+ on the north side of Calhoun before the winded kicked up.

I then decided to troll over to Isles to get out the wind and was not able to catch anything allthough I did mark lots of bigger fish. I guess like FisherDave said you will need to learn to work the Millfoil (not my strength yet).

On the way back to the landing I saw a big muskie caught and probably a 3+ pound bass caught by 2 fisherman on the banks of the channel between the two lakes.

Walkabout.

bass are biting on Harriet. I caught several while trolling small rapalas along the weedline

Fished yesterday from shore on calhoun and harriet. Spent about 2 hours on harriet over by the sailboats, only managed to land 2 bass, both on topwater, as well as losing one on a spinner bait and one on topwater. Biggest was 15in.
Skipped over to Calhoun and fished for about 1/2 hour casting a white spinnerbait and caught 2 14in fish. Foil is starting to take over in harriet, not yet in calhoun.

Headed down for an hour or two this afternoon to Calhoun from shore, figuring the approaching weather might trigger a good bite. Well, they wanted topwaters once again, and in about a 45min period I caught 4 fish between 15-18 inches, with the 17 and 18 inchers being very hefty fish. All caught on a silver/black popper. When the sun broke, it really killed the bite, but it was fun while it lasted. Right now is a great time for poppers and other similar lures down at Calhoun because the milfoil hasn't reached the surface except a few spots, and the weeds are scumy enough that they really clog up your plastics/spinnerbaits. If your fishing from shore, its much easier to hit these city lakes early.

Tried to hit Harriet & Calhoun today and it was WAY too windy! That is the only problem with the lakes, they are wide open and on hot days when the wind blows from the south - the good shore spots are near impossible to fish. The waves where ripping up milfoil and almost every cast was deemed null and void because all I pulled up was weeds. I'd rip on weed and only end up with another on. Decided to run to the 'sippi - Pool 2 and nada there either. The water is WAAAAAYYYYY UP!!!! Hardly any shore left to walk on.

Probably hit Harriet later in the week.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.