• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fisherman Andy,

I wasn't insinuating that you weren't telling the truth. I understand the importance of putting big fish back in the lake but I also understand that a bass of that size doesn't have much life left and is probably not one that can compete for breeding grounds.

I was really just saying if I were to catch one in the ten pound range I would probably have been taking it in.

I guess maybe I should've worded my post a little differently.

I think somebody needs to get a new scale. That 15yr old de-liar may have a rusty spring. LOL

Ya just gotta giggle at some of da stuff you read online. Too funny!

Beef,

No offense taken, I was just telling how it is. The thing is Big Bass is just way too big to keep, even especially when it's a trophy. Big fish like that deserve to live the rest of their lives out... it's kinda like having respect for an older person, or in this case an older fish.

Yeah you are right, they are no longer able to really compete for breeding, but you be surprise sometimes... I have seen big bass in the 6lb+ plus still breeding lazily in the shallows.

Duffmann
If you know where gunclub is let me know and I will go there tonight and prove him right or wrong.

Fisherman Andy.....
We used to camp at Thomas Lake, and here's the funny part about that lake. Those fish in Thomas could be long long lost decendents of the fish that we stocked in there in the early 80's. We were young and dumb at the time, knew nothing about stocking laws and such, but the funny part is where we got the fish to stock it with--Gunclub Lake! We did it because winterkill would do in Thomas Lake every couple years. Ahhhhh the good ol' days.

There's no telling what's in Thomas Lake now. There are a few big bass left. Mostly small panfish and some bullheads.
I remember watching the bass swim in schools by the hundreds on the sand flats.

Thomas Lake used to have the best Bass fishing around in Eagan but due to it's poor lake depth alot of fish won't survive if it is a harsh winter.

The DNR no longer stocks Thomas as far as I know... the lake is slowly recovering.

Just wondering Duffman, what kind of fish did you try to stock in Thomas? I knew some kids that were doing the same thing to Heine Pond... a long time ago.

P.S. Just curious.. what's your experience with Holland?

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 06-10-2004).]

Duffman- You mean we could have been considered the proud Grandparents of some 10-14" Crappies from years past. Ah, the good old days of coming home with a large cooler of fish!!! Talk about catch and release!! Your right Duffman, pretty funny about Gun Club Lake though!

Fisherman Andy- Funny thing is, Duffman grew up on Holland! I grew up on Thomas and can tell you we let Plenty of Bass go into Thomas!

I miss ye ol days of Holland. Plenty of Big Bass and some nice pannies & pike. Sorry to say most of the bass are now long gone.

DNR has stocked it alot with Rainbow & brown trout, although most of the fish caught are Rainbows.

Holland has tremendous fishing pressure...

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 06-10-2004).]

Holland is a great lake for trout, as long as you can get there early in the season. It does get alot of pressure, but still worth the trip. My son and I have caught some HUGE browns the last couple of years