• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Record Fish

I know most people aren't going to believe me on this story, because I am 14 years old, but I swear it is true. This weekend I was camping in Kathio State park and fishing the rum river. Saturday at about ten o'clock in the morning, I was fishing up by the dam . I was using a knock off wal mart brand daredevil for northerns and i got a backlash. I was reeling in the slack after I untangled it and I got to my lure and not even two cranks and my lure stoped, Then it started moving down stream with a hard steady pull. I fought it for about 10 minutes on my 10 pound test not knowing what the fish was before I had to start the big motor and chase after it. After about an hour the fish surfaced. It was the biggest muskie I have ever seen, the first look I guessed 55 inches. Well I fought it for 2 and half more hours and we were down stream about a mile, (To the boat launch anyone who is familiar with this river), Then my brother and sister and friend got out and went back to the campsite. I fought it from shore for a little bit before I was almost out of line. Then My brother and his friend and i got back in the boat and chased for another 30 minutes. We got in a big 1 foot flat and knew this was are only chance to get it in. We got a good look at the fish and knew it was more 55 inches, maybe close to 60, And the stomach on it was huge. So we got the head in the net and it couldn't move. so me and my brothers friend grabbed the fishes middle body and tail. We had more than half of the fish in the boat and it started turning and it's head broke the net in three places and i lost my grip on the fish from the momentum of the fish breaking the net. Then we watched it in shock swim away slowly. The rest of the weekend we hooked several muskies fishing for northerns landing a 35 in, 46 in, and 48 in. wich looked like nothing compared to the big one I had hooked.

Muskies are very strange this time of year. If you are ever gonna catch one "easily" its right now. Last weekend on Leech, my grandpa caught a 42" muskie fishing with nightcrawlers in 6-8' of water. Took him forever to land and even longer for me to release it. He couldn't even get it in the boat so I got to be the hero. What a rush!!

I believe you, I've seen some big muskies out in the river. Sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to hold the beast. Sounds like you had one big fish on your hands. The thrill of fighting a fish like that and getting a chance to see it up close is a memory that will last a lifetime! Congrats on a fun day of fishing, a 46 and 48 incher isn't all that bad smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I left alot of details out to so it wouldn't be so long. Like when My motor quit and I got in some one elses boat before the fish took out all of my line, and when we got it boatside and 4 people in the boat tried to grab it and one kick of the tail and it was back to the bottom, and how I got it up to the top of the water and another 40 inch muskie was following it. By the way this would have been pretty close to a state record wouldn't it.

[This message has been edited by Riverfisher (edited 05-31-2004).]

Riverfisher,

State record Muskellunge: 54-0 lbs, Lake Winnibigoshish -straight from the MN fishing regulations.

Rumor has it that the next state record Musky is swimming in Mille Lacs right now. I believe it was last year, a monster was C&R'd up there. It will probably take a 60" fish to do it but there are so many variables that can make a shorter fish heavier.

Riverfisher,
I believe ya, 2yrs ago I help a guy from the south dock of Harriet land and release a 52" muskie and I've seen plenty in the high 45+". Now catching some 46" and 48" are huge, my biggest ever has only been a 46".

Good luck and you should start using PowerPro

I've seen some serious hog muskies in that area, so I do believe it is possible that you hooked into a giant. A record? Who knows, and they are out of season so it doesn't really matter. But it sure sounds like a good fish!

• 2 weeks later...

That's a beast. How deep was the rum that weekend? I would imagine it'd be flowing good. Any smallies?