• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report 5/29 - 5/30...

5/29

Yesterday was all about the crappies, my brother and I caught about 100 crappies in about 2 hours!!! It rained about half the time but the fish didn't seem to care one bit. No livebait, just some Bio-Bait, Glow Ball Safe Jigs in 1/32 oz, and White/red Panfish Stingers from Southern Pro. Most of the time I just threw a plain plastic without any Bio-Bait and thats all the fish wanted. The crappies were very aggressive and most of the time the fish would hit before the plastic got a chance to fall all the way. Fish ranged from 6-10 inches. Here's my brother with a crappie...

ryancrappie-144x195.jpg

ryancrappiezoom-165x135.jpg

No big bass yesterday.

5/30

Wow, was it fun out ther today! I feel like I just got done getting dunked in the dunk tank at the fair grin.gif

My brother and I made it out around noon today in search of a few more crappies. We got there and it was lightly raining, we were fishing so no big deal. We managed to catch a few nice crappies, they seemed bigger than yesterday and the day before. One went about 11 inches, and there were several others around 10 inches, the rest were around 8-9 inchers. Caught a few gills, but a little on the small side. I hooked into a nice bass and fought it for about a minute, only had on a small 1/32oz jig and the bass eventually shook it loose. I guessed the bass to be about 3 pounds from the looks of it. Caught a few small bass too...one was probably a 5 incher smile.gif

Around 4pm the fun began...down pour! We were going to head in but after about 30 seconds we were as wet as we could possibly get, so we just stayed out there and kept fishing. The crappies were still biting during the rain, but once the sky got dark and the thunder rolled in they shut off.

Now the sun is out again...go figure grin.gif

Same presentation as yesterday and the day before, a Glow Ball in Hi-Glow Chartreuse in 1/32oz rigged with an all white Panfish Stinger from Southern Pro. 2-5 feet of water amongst the weed patches and pockets. We used a small float with the jig set about 18 inches down. Today we experimented and added a few small pieces of Nightcrawler Bio-Bait and the fished seemed to really like that too. My brother was also throwing live nightcrawlers and that worked too. Didn't seem to matter a whole lot, but adding a little piece of flavor and scent, whether it was Bio-Bait or livebait, gave the extra edge today.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Sounds like fun Matt. I had my 2 year old son out today. We started around 12:00 and the Bass weren't cooperating so we went to a weed edge and stumbled on some crappies. I felt like I was spider rigging because I had 2 lines out in front of the boat while I trolled around. Every time I'd hook a fish I'd let Cole reel it in. We were having a ball until it started raining. Then when it started to pour I asked him if he wanted to go in. He said "No, I want to catch more fishies." Now that's dedication. unfortunately that didn't last too long because I saw some lightling and we bailed. We were off the lake at 3:00, all soaked but it was worth it. We did manage one good bass that was 17.5" I let Cole put the net on this fish. He wanted to hold the fish but wasn't strong enough to hold on so I had to help.

47b4db11b3127ccebf00de80e1cf0000001010

Maybe the weather will cooperate tomorrow and we can hit it again. smile.gif

sounds like a fun time Matt. We were out on south center and did well on the crappies also. they ere on the smaller side 6-9inches. we tried many spot and kept finding fish about this size. I tried going to larger baits as well as fishing a little deeper, nothing worke. Do you have any tips on locating some of the larger crappies in that lake.

styx,
South Center has a lot of deep water, I've had my best luck for crappies out there this time of year a little deeper then typical lakes. I try to work the shallow edges, in 6-12 feet of water instead of right up in the shallows. Although I have have good luck near the small island in the back bay on the eastern end of the lake, for both crappies and bluegills. The weeds shold be going pretty good by now, and the fish will relate to those areas, as well as the weededge. What depths have you been working?

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Matt,
I had a chance to fish the lake again today. fished one of the bays in about 8-9ft. the crappies were slightly larger. Fishing was picking up later in the afternoon when we had to head in (the kids were tired of the rain) I still don't have a good handle on were the larger crappies are. maybe I will try deeper . Any other tips to shorten my search. thanks.

styx,
If you found some larger fish in 8-9 feet, then I would stick to the same plan, especially if the fishing started to get better. Sounds like you started to figure out a pattern. Since you located some fish in the slightly deeper water, then go with that approach. The area to the west of the small island (pancake island) in the eastern bay is a good spot. It should drop into about 9-10 feet, and I would work anywhere from 7-10 feet if possible. Right where the basin of that hole/depression pans out is where you want to be. Its not a huge area so you should be able to cover a good majority of it. Also, don't be afraid to move up even shallower if you are not finding the fish you want in 7-10 feet. Some of those shallow shorelines on that end of the lake are good for panfish this time of year.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 05-31-2004).]

This is a 17 inch bass I got and let go, I was by myself so I could not get myself in the pic, but thats my shoe sz12
47b4d820b3127ccebf255137958d0000002610

[This message has been edited by 18 inch Crappie (edited 06-01-2004).]