Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Matt Johnson

Up-sizing Plastics for Bigger Crappies

Matt Johnson

Crappies like small plastics. Tubes, twister tails, grubs, scented, unscented...you name it, a hungry crappie will eat it. But can the size of your presentation make a difference in the size of your catch? Everyone has heard the saying, "bigger baits catch bigger fish," but does that phrase go hand in hand with crappies...during certain times of the year you bet it does, and we are experiencing one of those times.

Throwing 1 - 1.5 inch plastics will catch you crappies right now, no doubt about it, but by up-sizing your plastics you can increase your odds of landing some bigger fish. As the water continues to warm, the crappies will get more aggressive and you will find them chasing baits and devouring, often times, whatever is in their path. Once these crappies put on the feedbags they will look for something to fulfill their appetite, and that can mean plastics bigger then 1.5 inches. Throwing plastics in the 2 or 2.5 inch range may be what those slabs are looking for. Minnow imitations are a good way to start. By minnow imitations, I don't mean an actual minnow shaped body, but those are an option, I also mean plastics like tubes and stingers that can give off a minnow appeal when worked through the water. These plastics rigged with a either a ball-jig head or a tube-jig head can be fished below a float to fool those slabs into striking.

Corey Bechtold, an avid crappie fisherman and FM Member who has a knack for finding slab crappies, spent a day on the water this past weekend chasing some slabs with plastics. After finding the fish in the shallow lily pads, Corey rigged up a float and plastic combo. Setting the 1/32 oz jig below the float about 24 inches was the ticket. Working the 2 inch Power Minnow with a twitch/pause approach sealed the deal.

"Upgrading to larger profile baits increased the size of the fish." Says Corey. "All in all, we managed at least 150 crappies...with 30 fish measuring over 13 inches..."

coreycrappies1-310x229.jpg
Corey with a couple slabs...including a nice 15 incher!

Try up-sizing your plastics next time you are chasing crappies, who knows, you might need the net! Good luck!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

MJ5fishing@hotmail.com
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Lost

Thanks for the report Matt! It's always a pleasure reading them. And to think that you live so close to me! How come I never see you? Hehe. Watch out... the day I do see you I'll sneak into your boat and wait for you to launch it.