• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye fishing on Minnetonka

Does anybody have suggestions for early season walleye fishing on Tonka? Bait, location, dept, presentation ect..? I was out most of the day on Monday 5/17/04 and caught 15 northerns but no walleye! I tried using 3' snells tipped with leeches, fatheads, and crawlers on Wayzata and Browns Bay and near the Narrows Bridge. Any suggestions or recent experiences would be appreciated as I plan a trip out there tonight if weather permits.

Thanks much! :-)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Autumnhunt

• wmn luv me walleye fearme

• buzzsaw

• Mr Special

Last year there was an ongoing thread about Minnetonka.

There was daily postings from a bunch of members here on FM that frequent the lake about Bass, Walleyes, etc. Very informative to say the least.

Perhaps we could use this as the start of a new 'Tonka thread?

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Sorry can't tell ya exactly where, but I picked them up this past weekend on the outside weedline. Pulling using 3way rigs with 3'snells on leeches and crawlers. Stay at about 1mph, within the 10'-15' of water has been best for me. I've used this method all over the lake in past years and it has always got some wallys. Pulling cranks like HuskyJerks and Strom thunder sticks also got fish and bigger ones too. Don't be afraid to go deeper if needed.

Good luck

"Tonka Tread", That would be a great idea. I will be hitting the lake hard now with the new boat and will share my experiences as I go on my nightly trips for the next month or two for the elusive "Eye". I have mainly fished the lake from shore in the past with fair success, but now I have a decent craft to really get around the lake. I primarily fish "up north" lakes on the weekends, but need to keep busy on local lakes during the work week, a little help to get started would be great!

Rip some lips!

Mr. Special,
Sound like I had the right presentation, just trolling a little fast.... I was cooking at about 2-3 mph on the weedlines, humps, and bars anywhere fron 10-30 ft.

The Minn Kota is set at 1 MPH tonight.

Thanks!

Linday rigging is just purely drifting. Actually, you shouldn't go much faster than a leech or crawler can swim. It is a slow presentation to hang the bait in front of the fish, tempting it to eat......

Big G right if you don't any bites you might want to even slow down to 0.5mph. But I usually stay at 1mph. Also if you do get into some in one specific spot, you might want to anchor up and comb through it slow by casting and bouncing bottom back.

Good luck

I'll give it a try, I normally don't have a problem with a little faster troll, but this just may be the key to get these Tonka eyes. I'll place a report tomorrow morning in the Metro Lakes Forum.

Any other suggestions before I head out?

Thanks.

P.S.
Big G, are you a General Mills employee or just a username you came up with? I work for "Big G" (General Mills) and was just courious if you could be learking on the other side of my cubicle?? !" I better get back to work, Hehe!

Mr. Special, skunked again. I caught one crappie last night on a LEECH and 3' snell trolling at .4 - 1.0 MPH and that was it!

Man I tried everything and everywhere (fatheads, leeches, crawlers) from 6-10:45 last night while lisening to the Timberwolf's game, Go Wolf's! The northerns were not even biting like they were on Monday. Maybe the front had something to do with it??? I was on Browns Bay on the reef on the back side of Spirit Island, the flat on the south side of Browns and caught the crappie in 15 ft of water on the south side of the Narrows bridge (just off the point)

Trolled the beach area of Wazata Bay and the Yact club area.

I am going to give it another try tonight, I know there in there as I have caught many walleyes in the past off shore.
I am a very avid walleye angler as I fish nearly 200+ day's out of the year, but this year so far the lake (Tonka) has got me stumped,,even ice fishing this years was not good for me! Any other suggestions?? Hopefully better luck tonight.... We still had a great time, walleyes or not!

Going to lake Reno in Alexandria this weekend and Cass Lake Memorial weekend, should definatly have better luck there as the bite was decent last weekend on Reno.

Mark, I normally run about 18" of line for the weighted line on a three way. Hope that helps.

Rip some lips!

Good luck ;-)

Man that's some dedication. But the North shore of Wayzata has done well in the past for me. The mouth of the channel at the Coffee bridge are kicking out fish too.

Good luck hope this helps

autumnhunt,

I am just learning Tonka. Monday I had some good bites on a chartruese lipstick jig and minnow in 18' of water. (see post on "setting hook while jigging walleyes") My prize for the night was a walter at 23". If you want to hook up and do fishing some night, let's go.

[email protected]

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Coffee Bridge? If you care to share... Where is that, what bay?

I was on the North shore of Wayzata last night and didn't go to well as I mentioned. I'll stop back there tonight anyway.

The Coffe bridge is the bridge between Crystal Bay and West Arm bay. Also known as Lord Flecthers. On the way there you might want to try Bohns point too, that's in the middle of Crystal bay. Or take a look at the mouth to Maxell's Bay channel to Crystal. These spot should put you on some fish. Maybe with the weather they might be deeper.

Good luck

Calvinist,
That's a dandy "eye" and a great way to start out on a lake you haven't fished much, Congrats!

Know what, I am going to try jigging. I really don't jig much unless I hit a few trolling/drifting, then I position myself right over the fish and jig (set hook right away, hehe!). Just haven't found the school while trolling/drifting yet on Tonka.

We may have to hook up sometime soon.

I will either be on Tonka tonight or Eagle Lake in Maple Grove. Bobbers and leeches on Eagle lakes weedlines can be productive at times for a "City" lake.

If you see a blue GMC Sierra supercap 4x4 with Ducks Unlimited stickers and a 17.5 ft blue/gold Crestliner Sport/fish with a 115 H.P. Yamaha--give me a haller. I think I may go to Gray's Bay boat ramp or Eagle Lake.. 5:30 or so... I will now more later as I talk to my fishing buddy!

Ahhh -- Lipstick jigs) ;-)

Thanks for the tip and rip some lips!

Oh yes, Lord Fletchers. I know where your talking.

May have to stop in for a bubbly afterwards!

Thanks.

AutumnHunt - I'm kinda in the same boat as you - want to learn more about Tonka walleyes (just for the challenge, I don't even eat fish).

Drop me a line at ajdoon57 @ yahoo dot com.

I have a spot worth trying. I hope to get out there this weekend. Twins game tonight.

DB

how many u usually catch have never been there and am trying to learn the ropes

Quick question on the 3way - what weight works best and how long a dropper? I am used to using floating jigs on the river but would prefer to use a better hooking jighead on the lake hence the dropper length.

Doonbuggy,
I may take you up on that next week, if possible? I am going to Lake Reno/Lake Minnewaska in the Alexnadria area for the weekend and hopefully pick up some good wally action out there.

Wow, what happened to the Twins last night?!

Thanks.

Tyman,
I normally do well on Tonka, just struggling a bit so far this year.

My favorite spot from shore is the Narrows Bridge- give that a try. (Leech and slip bobber)

Autumnhunt,
Did you get out last night?
Tyman, if the Narrows a lindy with floating jighead with leech. Try fishing at the mouth of the channel, and cast at an angle to the middle of the channel.

Good luck

Caught a couple dinks (12") on Eagle and a nice northern last night, oh and another crappie on a lumbo leech!

Seen lot's on muskie in the shallows on the way out, muskie fisherman are going to have fun come opener!

leaving at 2:00 today to fish some dandy walleye lakes, Can't wait! (Alexandria area)

Autumnhunt,

besides the fact that I only get out there about once per week, I too think I may be addicted to fishing Tonka for eyes. I rarely have much to brag about, but always choose to go there. I was 1/2 day yesterday and only got 1 15.5 incher and severla small pike. Nothing worked. Tried 22' rock pile in Browns, weedlines, cedar point, wayzata, even tried the 5 ft ranges early in the morning. Maybe that's what keep me going...knowing that they are there, but not always being able to find em. I continue to post my results too, if you wanna keep this thread going. good luck.

P.S. I have no hot spots to email you......not yet anyways

I know it's off the thread a bit, but Juan there are definitely muskies in Eagle, however I've never see any 50" monsters in there. All under 48" must be released.

Bass baits traditionally work better for 'skies in this lake. Fishing the windy side definitely increases your chances.

As for the walleyes, they are in there according to the dnr; should be a nice supply of 15-24" fish. I would guess the south hole has some with them perhaps moving up to the sandbar on the south end in the evening.

Otherwise the main lake area has to have them. A good graph might track them down in the 20' zone.

DB

Anchor man,
Yep, I know the feeling. Myself as well keep going back to Tonka with hopes I will find what I have in the past. Things will only get better as the water warms! I don't have much to brag about while fising Tonka either, (except the 8 lbs walleye I caught two years ago-Narrows Bridge) but it's always a good time. I will keep the thread running with reports and if you have any input or suggestions it would be appreciated.

Juan Grande,

Ice fishing on Eagle is generally pretty slow, but spring time (open water) bite can be pretty good at times and dies off quickly in late spring.

Muskie fishing is excellect on Eagle! It was once a rearing pond for the Leech Lake strain and the monsters still lurk in these waters today. I am not one to fish Muskies much, but to run into them by accident and boy, what a rush while using 8 lbs test and a med action rod! Muskie fishing gets really good in the dog day's of summer (Aug-Sept) 85-100° days.

Good Luck-Rip some lips!

Autumnhunt,

Do you have much sucess on Eagle lake in MG? I live in Rogers and I work for the City of MG. I've read quite a few ice fishing posts on that lake and it seems like nobody catches much. Maybe they're justlooking in the wrong place.

Did you say you saw muskies on Eagle? I know there are muskies in Weaver lake, but I didn't think Eagle had any.

Have you ever fished Fish Lake in MG?

A fun day on Tonka yesterday despite less than ideal conditions.

Caught three walleyes, 2 @ 12" and one 20" on a jig n minnow, a bunch of smaller northerns, a largie, a big rockbass, a bite off, lost a few others and......

I get a bite on my minnow and set the hook. For a second I think I'm snagged and then the line starts moving. I can barely budge the fish but start working it up to the boat.

After fighting it for a bit I see a quick gold flash. I couldn't tell what it was. It then made a run and is suddenly gone. Ticked, I bring in my lure and attached to my jig n minnow is a 10" mangled crappie!

The crappie had hit the minnow and some fish didn't take kindly to that and attacked the crappie and didn't let go. I think it must've seen the boat and finally decided to let go.

As for the walleyes, I saw some nice piles of fish in the 14-17' range. I thought they'd be more active because they were on top of a break with the wind coming right into them.

All in all a fun day and Tonka was eerily quiet, probably b/c of the weather.

DB