• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Orchard Lake - Lakeville - Story

I searched through some 2- and 3-year old archives on FM, and found it no surprise that many agree with me Orchard Lake in Lakeville to be one of, if not the, premier bass (and also northern, muskie, and sunfish) fisheries in the southern metro.

I have fished this lake at least 40 or 50 times now. Today was my first this year, sort of celebrating the bass opener.

It was a mixed bag, I am disappointed to say.

The fish were biting for sure, and those of us that fish this lake, know they're in there. However, they might not be for long. Background:

There are only 7 trailer parking spots, so if you get there late, you have to wait. No big deal, most of us park and wait for other boats to come in, and fish shore while we are waiting. I was third in line waiting today, of about 8 boats waiting to launch (probably a 35 minute wait). So I rigged up a buzz bait and started casting from shore, along with several of the other fisherman waiting to launch.

What we witnessed during this wait was not pretty.

Before I tell this story, I want to say this is NOT a slam to an individual, and certainly I am not in the least a prejudiced or bigoted person, those who know me can attest to that. I am just telling the facts here.

3 or 4 us waiting to launch (again, casting from shore) watched a dozen or so people catching 3 to 5 pound bass by the stringer-full and keeping all of them up to limits, add on to that limits of sunfish of all sizes. I have frankly never seen anything like this. Yes, these people were apparently of the [DELETED] (no way to guarantee, but most of us know [DELETED] due to the increasing population here).

I have read of other lakes being decimated by this type of activity, usually metro lakes. I did not think this activity had "caught on" on Orchard Lake, and considered sort of a sactuary. I have heard many stories of this happening on Crystal, Prior, and other south Metro lakes, now my beloved Orchard. I have to say, Crystal, Prior, etc., have turned into bodies of water that NO real fisherman even attempts to fish anymore, and those all used to be as good or better than Orchard.

I guess I'm wondering what the DNR has to say about this. If you have read a couple of my other posts, you know I am strictly FOR people keeping fish, even though I keep very few myself, for reasons I've listed on other topics. But this is an entirely different ballgame. This is not keeping fish for a meal, this is decimating a lake.

Do we start lobbying state legislature for slot limits of every species on every lake???

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 06-02-2004).]

Raising the limits won't help with that problem, those type are allready taking over thier posession limit; so slot limits won't help that much for them. (I am not trying to make a racial slam here, I realize poachers come in all colors and sizes)

What needs to be done is stricter enforcement, which isn't going to likely happen untill we get another govenor in office frown.gif The DNR has been hit HARD by pawlenty's budget cuts. So they don't have the $ to hire on more officals to patrol these lakes.

Personally I think less emphasis should be put on patrolling the Mississippi river chain and put on the metro lakes. Most people won't keep game fish out of the 'sippi (me included) due to the industrial/agric. pollution, most the fish I see caught and kept by the people who keep what they catch are carp and sheephead. It also takes a lot of effort to patrol all the public acess on the Mississippi/Minesota. I have only been checked TWICE at any metro lake for my liscence in the past 10 years, and this is boat combined with shore fishing. I get checked every other time I fish the river.

Perhaps this is something that should be moved to and discussed on the political fourm?

As a general rule I'll keep 1 or two bass under 12". Anything bigger than 14 goes back without question-- fish that size for bass get the tough meat that makes people think they are bad for eating. I know we had one big flaming debate about this here last year.

Keep in mind Bass still recover better from fishing pressure than Walleyes do. And there are plenty of white poachers for that species atleast wink.gif. Personally I'd rather have catfish smile.gif

If I'm reading the story correctly, what the people were doing was completely legal.

Therefore,
Do not complain about the people. Instead, complain about YOU, who voted YOUR law makers into office.

If you don't like it, lobby and get the laws changed.

Folks new to this county have no clue what catch / release is, or the pure reason behind it. That is no different than the vast majority of our "older generation" anglers who also keep everything they catch.

Point is, I find nowhere, where there is a law protecting the larger size bass on any lake in this state. There are a few lakes that protect the smaller bass, but not many, if any at all, protect the larger bass.

Yes, the vast majority of anglers don't keep bass, primarily because they don't taste very good. No different than catching carp......

In order to satisfy your opinion of species protection, I would recommend that you either:
1: Lobby to change laws to protect the bass from being harvested.
2: Make freinds with folks who keep these big fish and influence them with your beliefs.

People from 3rd world countries don't comprehend fishing for sport. They comprehend that there is food in the water, and all they have to do is purchase a license and they can eat! When you think of it that way, it is a good deal for those who are less fortunate with money or are thrifty and take advantage of "free food".

Yes, I'm a big beleiver in CPR, but you have to look at this with an open mind and go to the source. The source being the regulations. Plenty of regulations have been established to protect Pike, Walley, & Muskie for size limits...........lobby to do the same with bass........

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

I'm new to this board and this will be my 1st reply to this thread.

I don't think the problem rests only on asian people, I think the problem is wide spread not only to asians but with everyone. Every race / ethnicity does the same thing its just that sometimes you notice certain situations and that tends to stick in your head thus, causing you to judge people. Not all asian/american/african american, ect. Practice the same thing you do. BUT just because they do it doesn;t mean its wrong IF its within the LEGAL limit. NOW if it was someone transporting 95 walleyes over the limit then yes, I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE THEIR MODE OF TRANSPORTATION confiscated. But then again, thats what the law makers are for.

Just my $2.30 cents..

-Web

Well I think this seems to be a good time to share my fishing fantasy. I know this will most likely never happen but its still nice to imagine....

What if Minnesota passed a law that makes it illegal to keep any fish in state waters. Would it really hurt us? Would it really help us? Well lets think about it. What would happen...SOME of us wouldnt be able to keep fish. SOME of us that need to bring something home to know we had a good time out there might not fish anymore, that's there choice. Ok what about the majority of minnesota fisherman that would still fish because its the sport that counts not the food....how would this affect sport fishing? Well its pretty obvious the number and average size of fish would drastically increase, and for all us sportfishermen out there, this would be a dream come true, because for us, its usually always about size, the wonder when your bobber with a 10" sucker minnow suddenly dissapears and your adrenaline rushes in anticiaption for the giant that just might have your hook in his mouth. If nothing is done the avg. size of fish will decrease along with our fishing pressure increasing dramatically in the past couple years even. One day we will all start to see more and more the effects of too much fishing pressure. Slot limits arent implemented on most of the lakes that need them, and possesion limits dont do much other than make some of us bring our limit home and then head our for another one. Yes some of us might follow the limits exactly but there are alot of us who dont. Alot of us think its no big deal to catch your limit, bring it home, clean it, and go get another limit, ive seen it in my own family whom tought me the value of sport fishing in the first place. I know this wont happen, but can you imagine? It seems to me like the benifets of not keeping fish would by far outwieght the benifets of keeping some fish. It just doesnt seem to me like there is any real reason any of us need to keep fish. Maybe there tastey, but theres alot of food in the grocery store thats tastey. Ask yourself if you think its worth hurting the fish population and size averages for all of us and especially our future generations just so some of us can have some tasty food? Again, it never will happen, so im not trying to start an argument about peoples rights to keep fish, but maybe some of us dont realize what may happen to our beloved sport. Its time to go back to reality and facing the possibility that my kids wont be able to catch the size fish that we still can catch today. Ive seen too many lakes in my short life that are nothing now and once were great lakes. I get a good feeling when I let any fish go, big or small, fish to me are a treasure I would never want to loose. I like fish occationaly but I would gladly go without in exchange for better fising and bigger fish.

You see this can all be said without mentioning any race because we are all guilty. Most follow regulations, that is really not the problem, its all of us that think as long as you dont go over your limit, your not going to hurt this fish population, otherwise the DNR would lower it right? I wish it was.

Just my 2 cent fantasy...

f91807a2.jpg
------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

[This message has been edited by FishinChad (edited 06-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by FishinChad (edited 06-02-2004).]

FishingChad:
(This is not directed to you, just my opinion, actually a rant :-) )

Why not:
Because I have a "RIGHT" to fish and eat what I catch. It isn't a privelage. It is a right.

And over my dead body will someone take away my right to eat a walleye that God put on this planet. Fishing is not a sport. It is an ancient method of gathering food. It isn't even considered "hunting".

Today's "sportsman" are wreaking havoc on this pass time of enjoyment, where if you keep a fish to eat, you are evil. That doesn't sound much different than PETA, does it?

If you want your pristine, virgin waters, where everything is thrown back.........Drop the money and go on a fly-in in the very northern part of Ontario......( I can set you up with an Outfitter to go to his private lake for only keeping 4 walleyes under 18", all bigger fish and ALL pike go back) OR go to Pool 2 on the Mississippi. That river has been protected for years, yet the quality and quantity of fish taken are not that much different than Pool 4, where this is just a 15" minimum on walleye. There is no max length restrictions for walleye. Meaning if you caught six, 12lb walleyes, you could keep everyone and put them all on the wall....legally.......... This spring, I caught a 9lb walleye out of Pool 4, and last week, boated 30 plus walleyes in just 6 hours of fishing..........largest being 24", plus a 35" pike. I kept 6 walleyes from 18' to 20" to feed the family........

Don't start ideas of having protected waters, state wide. There already are the waters that you speak of.......Pool 2 of the Mississippi.

We already have "game farms" (if that is what you want to call them), where if you pay $5K, you can shoot a trophy buck.

I don't want to pay $5k for a trophy muskie, unless I choose to do so by my freedom.

Again, if you don't like the current regulations, than lobby to adjust them to your taste.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a max bass keeping size of 12" or 14".

In this thread, we are talking about a small group of people, keeping fish, so they can eat. However, I yet to see the damage done by tournaments for bass. What is done with those hundreds of fish brought in for weighing? How long are they in that livewell? What if that trophy dies? Who eats them??? Or do they just go to waste, because they died and nobody wants to eat a 5lb bass?

Throwing away a 5lb bass because you don't want to eat it, because it died in your livewell, while you were fishing a tournament is 10 fold the shame of a family gathering food (via little sunnies) to feed themselves.

Your thoughts?

I fished Orchard Lake a few times this year, I have never kept anything out of there.

Fishing in Orchard I thought was decent, but definately will not be able to handle the fishing pressure if it does increases.
I know that the DNR annually stocks it from reports I've checked on.

Anyhow, keeping your limit on this lake IS BY ANY MEANS NOT WRONG! Don't get it confused, it is perfectly legal to keep your limit, and what people keep as long as it is the legal limit is in fact their own business and not anyone elses.

Although keeping one's limit on this lake is not recommended due to the small size and pressure, these things do happen unfortunately.

This type of problem happens everywhere and it hurts the most when it happens at a lake near you which you been fishing all your life. In my years of fishing, I have seen numerous lakes dwindle down to almost nothing but panfish because of the heavy fishing pressure.

And how do you know the Asians were: Hmong?
The "Hmong" people have a reputation along with many other Asians for fishing alot and keeping alot of fish. And yes there are individuals that do keep more, much more than the slot limit in some cases which is unfortunate and wrong. Reluctantly not all are the same, so some might take it offensively if you single out a minority group.

Asians all over the world have an excessive diet of fish with at least 2-3 meals a week. It is common although it may seem strange, but how many people you know eat fish on a regular basis, weekly, monthly? The answer is probably going to be not too many...

Again, the issue tends to get a little exagerated when it comes to Minorities and one is free to express their opinion to do so, no harm in that. But you should know the problem is much bigger than that, Minorities are only a small fraction of the issues.

If you ask me I think one of the biggest issues out there are them Fishing Tournaments. Think of how many thousands of pounds of fish are taken at these tourneys. A bass tournament could decimate a lake's bass population within a few days. But then again it's only my opinion. Just be happy there isn't one of these tournaments happening at your lake...

I like to remind that everyone please practice catch n release, especially for the smaller lakes.

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 06-01-2004).]

Sorry, can't help but think with all the things that are going down in America
today, the NO VACANCY sign is long
overdue!! Sadly, we can no longer just
accept all the masses who wish to come
here. America is gradually becoming
anything but a united nation. Rather a
bunch of seperate communities of
people who have no intention of of
inter-mixing with us. They are simply taking
advantage of everything we have.
I firmly belive that someday, this will
be the undoing of this great country.

Huge thumbs down to an all C&R law. That is just the beginning of the slippery slope to a complete ban on angling all together. They have afew all C&R lakes like Steiger in the west metro, and the fishing doesn't seem to be much better at them.
Also, those from other countries, as long as they are here legally, have a license, and observe all state and lake regulations, should be able to keep whatever they want.
47b4d823b3127ccebfd771a07d420000002610
Catch & inthe Grease!
Cybs firstlunker 1975

Just because it's legal...doesn't make it right. Would you drive 70 MPH on the freeway in traffic in a snowstorm? It's legal..doesn't mean it's smart. Just like keeping large numbers of fish every time out of a small metro lake.

Fishing pressure is increasing...the size of the fish I catch in the metro is decreasing. Don't even try to say there isn't a correllation.

[This message has been edited by wizkid (edited 06-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by wizkid (edited 06-02-2004).]

I used to live on Orchard lake when i was 5 years old (i lived up on a hill in a brown house just down the road from the park) and me and my brother used to fish and catch tons of bullheads!!! we were neighbors with Dennis Swilly, Tommy Kramer, Amad Raschad...old vikes!!!

Big G-
I know you say that wasnt directed towards me but obviously it was in response to my post. If you read it you can see that I know this will never happen, and as I said, just something to imagine. And by the way, you do not have the right to kill and eat anything you catch. That is why there is a DNR and laws to protect our enviroment. You certainly dont have the right to go out and kill and eat a loon do you? Just because god put it on this earth for you? And when you say "over my dead body will someone take away my right to keep a walleye"....well maybe you dont realize it but it has alreay happend and obviously your not dead. You cant keep every walleye you catch that god put on this earth, unless that is you break the law. Go fish a lake with a slot limit and tell my over your dead body your not going to keep that fish that isnt in the slot. And if you dont think fishing is a sport and mearly a method for gathering food, you make me sick, im sorry to say it but its true. Almost all of us consider it a sport, I dont need to ask to know that. I hate how some of you get so defensive when I simply make a post stating my opinion and not insulting anyone. I was clearly not trying to push for this to happen just wieghing the benifits of both situations. You will always be able to keep some fish, but you will never have the right to keep and eat anything on this earth, most of our wildlife are protected from people like you, thank AMERICA you dont have the rights you claim to have. I dont see anywhere in the constitution saying you can keep anything you catch out of the waters, so dont try to act like there is. I pray you dont muskie fish and think a 50" muskie just a few good meals.

The sad truth is this, the numbers of people fishing in these metro waters is increasing very rapidly, without enough change in the DNR regulations to accomadate for it. If anyone went to Lake Sarah, Buffalo, or Waconia ice fishing last year, you might just know what im talking about. These lake are not that big and last year the ice house cities doubled in size on at least one of these lakes in 1 year. The other 2 have always had cities out there but last year they were very dense and bigger. Lakes will not take this much pressure for long before you will start seeing the affects. The DNR will catch on eventually to the over-fishing problem and limits again will go down. This must be done to protect our fish for future generations, remeber its not always just about you and now, there is a future we need to protect. Fishing pressure will get much worse in the next 10 years and it scares me. Something has to be done.

Im done ranting now.

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

[This message has been edited by FishinChad (edited 06-02-2004).]

Hammer....I think you have it right (Education...)Until people can get it through their thick head how important this issue is it is going to continue to be a big problem

Ya know, it makes me a little crazy thinkin about people killin all those spawnin bass. But, I been out shorefishin and watched different ethnic group fishin and maybe there is a positive side here

These folks are generally glad to fill a bucket with carp, bullheads and stunted pan fish too. that's a favor to folks who prefer gamefish and their harvestin these fish all year long, not just during the spawn

A previous post said these different cultures think its nuts to waste food and these people are definitely fishing for food. Maybe they actually need the food! In that case let em eat.

Dang, don't mean to get long winded but here's a good story.

My father in law is an 83 year old Lebanese. He's a real live x-cavalryman, was in the French foreigh legion!

He loves fishin and huntin but doesn't know anything about releasin game. Ya aint gonna change him and would you deny the ole guy the right to fish a little in his late years?

I make him crazy releasin fish. We go crappie fishin in April and I throw back a nice walleye he catches. Too early, not walleye season. Not hard to understand he was cussin me good, even though I don't know his language.

Go out on the river the walleye opener. I threw back a bunch a 13-14 in fish. Not long enough! XXKK!!!KDFLLL I get it again

Take him on a lake the next week. Broke his heart throwin back a couple 2-3 lb bass he caught. Not bass season yet!

This year he looks at me every fish he catches like I'm gonna take it away from him. Gotta admit I get a kick oughta teasin him a little.

the end
good fishin, be happy

Guys,
We are most definitely not going to allow pointing of fingers at certain ethnic groups on this forum. However innocent your intentions may be, keep in mind that you are making comments about individuals, NOT ethnic groups. One or two or 2000 individuals do not speak for the entire group.

Keep it civil guys or this thread will vanish.

Wizkid,that is a good point! Abortion would be another example, legal, but not right.
Keeping a limit of legal sized walleye is both legal and good. grin.gif Thats what limits and seasons are all about, protecting the resources. I wouldn't mind stricter limits but to ban all harvest of fish would be absurd IMO

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 06-02-2004).]

Pressure on these lakes certainly is a disturbing trend. But a law is a law. I want the right to do what I want. I don't need someone else making an ethical decision for me with another law.

Education, Education, Education!!!!!!!!

Personally;

I love muskies over 50". They taste better when pickled and it is easier to remove the Y-bones.

Generally what I do, is catch a 3lb muskie or a 6lb bass, rig it all up with about 10 treble hooks, on a big bobber to catch the 50+" skis.

Yum, Yum............good eatn'

Again, fishing is a right, not a privelage.

Also, for driving 70mph during a storm, is breaking the law. You are not driving under which conditions allow.

Oh yea.......caught a 15lb pike out of Sarah this past winter, along with a few other pike out of there on the same day that where over 5lbs.

By the way, most of these metro lakes have stunted fish. Do your research as to why small lakes are overpopulated with stunted fish. Also, what are the ages of these stunted fish (little sunnies and hammer handle pike)? Do your research.

And lastly, I never hear of anyone complain at how there ancestors received 160 arces (free)for homesteading back in the 1700s and 1800s whan they immigrated to the USA???

My family came here on a boat 160 years ago. What makes them different than those who come on a boat 160 days ago? My family lived off the land. They ate fish and killed fur and feather bearing animals to eat. Why can't newcomers eat the food they catch to feed their families......If it is within the law.......

None of these metro lakes are starving of fish. They just have stunted fish.

And to top it off, I'm a huge believer and practicer in CPR of fish. And yes, I primarily hunt skis.

Fishing only came to be a sport 10 to 20 years. Before that, people fished to eat. We made it a sport, therefore people joined it. Because it is a sport, millions flocked to it........

And to wrap this up........The DNR is the most powerful branch of government in this state. They have the most money. They also waste the most money, percentage wise. And again, for power........Why does the DNR have the power to walk into your home to look for fish at their own free will, but the DEA can't walk into a crack house without a bible list of signatures?

Why is it wrong, for a family to catch and keep their legal limit, within the guidelines set forth by the DNR so they can eat, but it is right to have a bass tournament, where 100 hundreds of BIG bass are killed, for money?

Things that make you go: "huuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm????????"

Big G - out of curiosity what bass tournaments have you been to where "100's" of bass were killed? Apparently these were people who didnt have livewells or know how to properly handle fish. By the way , we fish two guys to a boat with a 6 fish combined per boat. Legally we could catch twice that amount and keep everyone of them to eat. But we are the guys that do more damage to a fishery that a bunch of people catching their limit and eating them? Yeah right - sounds to me like you just have a vendetta against bass fisherman, I dont see any complaining about the walleye tourneys that do keep and kill many fish.

I hear allot of people saying that if its in the law its alright, well, If you see the same people everyday keeping there limit its real hard to think they arnt over there possesion limit at home, how many people can eat there limit of sunnies and crappies in a day. I watched the last couple of years as the crappies in crystal lake in Robbinsdale go from small 7-9 inchers, to tiny 5-6 inchers from the same people comeing back almost everyday and keeping there limits. Now thats breaking the law cause nobody can eat 15 crappies a day( That was the limit back then) I also saw the same people keep muskies out of season, that were also under 40 inches. I also have seen them keep bass out of season. All these people were asian and most were Hmong. They knew they were keeping muskies and bass out of season because after they caught them they would leave right away so by the time I called TIP they were gone. Also allot of these same people would fish with multiple lines and multiple hooks on a line. I have probly called TIP a dozen times on these same group of people that fish Crystal lake and they never get caught, except once for fishing without a liscense. Now I know it could just be just this group of asian people at Crystal lake that fish this illegally but I have seen bass and northern kept out of Medicine before the season too. The older asian's need to understand that they have to throw some fish back and that they are breaking the law, that you cant keep everything you catch. It wont last forever though because the younger Hmong's, teenagers, that grew up most of there lives in America believe in C&R and release almost everything they catch, they go fishing for fun. I have many Hmong friends at school that fish for fun and practice C&R but there parents keep everything they catch. So eventually when The younger Hmongs get older and have kids they will pass on C&R and fishing for sport.

STATED PREVIOUSLY "My family came here on a boat 160 years ago. What makes them different than those who come on a boat 160 days ago?"

It was legal to hunt buffalo for crying out loud back then. Just because it was legal doesn't mean they should have killed that many. They wiped out almost the entire population. If fishing pressure keeps increasing, slots will keep decreasing as well.

Justify keeping your limits all you want. Its not good for fisheries and things WILL change.

So, again, what is worse?
Killing 6lb bass for money? (which is legal)

Or

Killing a bunch of little sunnies for food (which is legal)

nope;
no vendettas against bass fishing at all.

I really don't care for tournaments though; bass, walleye, or musky.

I know it is good for the local economy, when tournaments roll into town.

But, I disagree with the aftermath destruction of these fish from the tournaments.

Walleye tournaments; most of the time the fish are eaten at a big "fish fry". Nope, don't like it. In general speaking, because many times, big fish are knifed. Some fisheries can handle big fish being harvested and on some waters, it is promoted. But only some waters. So, besides the "some waters", it is ok to harvest multiple large walleye for money, only to kill them?

Bass fishing: I know the guys are gentle with their catch, for the fear of the fish loosing weight. So great effort is applied to keep the fish alive until the weigh in. However, how many bass die from it. Big bass!!! So, is it ok to kill trophy bass for money, only to throw them in the garbage, or let them rot on the bottom of the lake?

Muskie tournaments:
Total disagreement with it. I've watched many muskies die, because they have the fish either laying on the floor of the boat, or jammed in a livewell, while they radio a judge to motor to their location to officially weigh the fish, prior to release. Many fish die from this.

Hey, I ain't knocking bass guys at all. This isn't what it is about. Bass guys lead the way of CPR............Why? Nobody wants to eat the dang things!!!!!!!

Look;
I have to beleive that atleast 90% of all people on this website are firm and strong believers of preserving our resources through proper harvesting techniques.

I also strongly beleive that there are a handfull of people out there, who abuse the resources to no end and with a care free attitude.

However, I have no problem whatsoever with any soul who needs to keep a limit of fish, because they need food for their table. What is wrong with that? You don't like me, because I'm going to eat a 3lb bass to feed my family? Why, do you need that 3lb bass for your tournament?

Abuse is one thing and I don't agree with it. But food for the table is another. To even spread this further, I have no problem with a hungry person shooting a deer in the spring, or taking a pheasant in the summer. If you are down and out and broke, take the food that is out there to live.

Most of these people who do come to America today, don't have a pot to pee in. Talk to your family, and look at what your ancesters came to the USA in their pockets.........probably nothing.......

Again, abuse is wrong, but give some people a break......

Sounds to me like you have no problem with the aftermath of people keeping fish for food and fun but when it comes to the tourneys you "disagree with the aftermath destruction of the fish" Makes no sense to my why youd be concerned about the bass that get killed in tourneys but preach about being able to keep fish and eat them all you want and so can everyone else and not even care about what could happen to the fish. Ive never seen a real study on it but the number of anglers on the metro waters is rising so rapidly if nothing is done to accomadate it, the affects will be seen. And theres no need for this, times have changed and people dont need to catch food to eat cause their starving, fishing is actually expensive, and time fishing could be spent working if your actually too poor to feed your family that is what you should be doing. And yes everyone can get a job in the metro if they really try hard enough.

Im done with this debate is neverending and happens over and over again. Go fishing.

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

Chad;

On the flip side of the coin;
Sounds like YOU have no problem with killing fish for tournaments, but you have a problem eating them????

I hope that isn't your intent...........However, don't put words in my mouth and READ what I wrote.......

Lastly,
Fishing is only expensive, because people make it expensive.

I know many people without any money who do fish. And they do it for survival.

Maybe someday you will get the chance to go to outer regions of Canada, or even the far north of Minnesota and have the opportunity to meet some of these people that need these fish for food....... Then, maybe my point will be made clear that people shouldn't knock a person who keeps a meal of fish so they can eat........

I still don't get the preducdice about "eater" fish. "OH WALLEYES ARE TEH BEST AND ONLY FISH YOU CAN EAT!!!" Thats all I hear day in and day out...

I prally am better at conserving because I do eat a mixed bag, and don't keep the limits most of the time, even on panfish. If I end up with 5 crappies, 7 bluegills and 2 small bass under 14" I'm happy as a peach. I'd MUCH rather have that then 3 walleyes.

As far as bass goes its this. BIG bass are HORRIBLE to eat, but the smaller ones are good. Like panfish Northerns and Bass CAN get stunted (northerns espically) so it's not a bad idea to keep some of the smaller fish. I wouldn't mind seeing a maximum size put on bass, but a minimum size is kinda silly.

There is no point of keeping a bass over 14" to eat. They do taste bad. But smaller ones are no different then eating panfish and the meat is a little flakier. And you get a LOT of meat off 2 12" bass, which is the most I ever keep. I still seriously would be willing to catch some smaller bass, cut up the fillets into smaller pieces, then mix them into crappies and sunnies and could bet money people couldn't tell the difference.

So just think about it this way: Look at what the lake has to offer before deciding what to eat. Try something new. If the lake is HEAVILY pressured for walleyes but is full of panfish try keeping more of a mixed bag. I think that has a lot to do with it too.

And if you want to know a secret: Channel cats beat Walleye bar-none for quality of meat. I'd throw back 5 walleyes to have one clean-water cat. smile.gifsmile.gif

Actually I never said I support Tourneys...I really dont care, I never said there anything wrong with eating fish sometimes, I even do it. Your missing my point but im not going to try to expain it anymore. Cya on the lake.

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

G , I agree with you on the fact that there is nothing wrong with keeping your limit and eating it.
I also agree with you that it is wrong to leave a big fish(bass ,walleye whatever) to rot in the garbage- it is also illegal to do so,and the guys that do that deserve every inch the ridicule that you give them.
As for me and our group if we have a fish die (which rarely happens) it is always kept and cleaned to be eaten. And I will agree that a big bass is probably the worst tasting fish I have ever eaten smile.gifBut if someone wants to keep them ,more power to them. I also think that there isnt that much poverty in Mn that people have to fish to survive, not with how generous our govt is in handing out freebies, but that is another discussion.
I also think that our DNR has a pretty good handle on what limits a fishery will bear, If someone wants to take a 100 stunted bluegills out of a lake let them have em ,in fact ,let them take 200.
Good fishin' all

wow, this really turned out to be a debate.

I'm going to catch a bunch of CARP now and smoke them so that I don't get evil stares when I do take the occasional pike home.

THIS IS AN INTERESTING POST, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE THINK THAT HEAVY PRESSURE AND PEOPLE KEEPING CONSTANT LIMITS OF FISH DOES NOT AFFECT THE POPULATION OF ANY LAKE IN THIS SITUATION.

FISHING IS GREAT