• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northerns? Bass? (NE)

I saw the other Northern post.

How about NE? WBL area? Any SURE FIRE lakes for Northerns (or bass) of any size? Forest lake? Demontreville?

As I stated in another post.. we are SO new to this and feel so lost. I just learned what a flu flu is yesterday.

Would LOVE to get some with my 4y/o since all he has seen so far are pearch and one sunfish.

Tried WBL yesterday.. nothing!.. it's just so big.. haven't a clue where to go there for bass or northerns.

Don't work the bass too hard just yet. The bass season isn't open for a couple of weeks.

Just planning ahead for June-August.

Is it too early for fish to be biting yet anyway? Does it improve with warmth?

Nope, its not too early for the fish to bite, actually this can be some of the best times. Spring is great for panfish and roaming gamefish. But you are right, as the water warms the fish will get more aggressive and more active, and they will be willing to chase baits more. Jigging is a popular approach right now for walleyes, as is live bait spinner rigs like a Lindy Rig or worm harness, among others. Don't be afraid to throw out a few plastics too, I've had a lot of luck lately with plastics for panfish and walleyes, also caught a lot of bass down near Lake Pepin on the Mississippi River with plastics too. Down near Pepin you can fish for bass right now, the season is open, but in the Metro you still have a couple weeks to wait.

I agree, White Bear Lake is a big lake, and if you are new to fishing it can be tough. Demontreville is a smaller lake, so is Lake Jane, another lake close to Demontreville, you might have better luck at these lakes. Forest Lake is another large lake, but it is easier to fish than White Bear Lake. Forest Lake is borken down into three sections, basically three different lakes. and you can approach each one as if you are targeting a different lake and that makes things a little easier. Each section has its own little characteristics and structures that enable it to hold a lot of fish and decent fish too. Forest Lake is full of multiple species.

If you are looking for some good lakes for multi-species fishing in the North East Metro, then I would target the Chisago Area Lakes, these lakes are loaded with walleyes, northern pike, panfish, and bass. A good chance for your 4 year old to catch some fish. The panfish are always biting in this area and you will catch some nice ones too.

If you want some more info feel free to e-mail me or post here, we will help you smile.gif Take care!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Hey Matt,
You have offered some awesome information on here!!! Keep up the great work! I saw you mentioned Lake Peppin....I fished that last summer for bass and northerns and got skunked.....we put in at Lake City and went straight across to the other shore and trolled cranks...buddy did have a fish on...but lost it....we threw spinnerbaits until our arms fell off and nothing. Do you have any suggestions? You can email me if you want. [email protected]
Thanks for the help!!!

Doop,

Did you try any of the backwaters? I fished towards Wabasha past Indian Slough. If you roam the backwaters you can find some deeper depressions and holes and you can typically pick up a few bass at those, also fish the wood. I haven't been there in over a week so they might have moved off the wood, but it would be worth a shot. Mid-depth wood is a good choice, right at the base, 4-8 feet of water. Also try the wingdams out on the main channel. The wingdam just off the Wabasha landing near the bridge is a good choice for smallies, I picked a few up there. Lake Pepin can be a little tough at times, I've had better luck in the backwaters. But, you are on the right track for fishing Pepin, trolling 3-way cranks is a good approach, I like the MN side of the channel, seems to be a little better fishing.

Let me know if you need anymore info or feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Fish must not have been biting good on WBL if you didn't catch any pike...cant usually keep the darn things away on that lake. Some really big punkinseeds in that lake too. I fished the west end of Demontraville for crappies a week ago..didn't find any..but found plenty of sunnies in between the lily pads in real shallow water also managed to hook some really nice bass in the process....three 17 inchers and two 16's. It's a good bass lake but it's catch and release only. I've done well on pike on big marine as well. Good luck.

Slyster,

Fished WBL and no Pike? Drop me an [email protected]. I bring people to that lake very often. It's one lake I can guarantee catching Northern Pike on. I'd say 99% of the time. I'll leave the other 1% for the time that we don't catch them, hasn't happened yet though. They are not big ones though. Biggest one we've caught was 33" and was pretty skinny, but for a four year old, you can't find better fishing. I always take my relatives from Iowa to WBL to catch the Pike. They love it. Pretty soon they'll be interested in some "real" MN fishing and we'll go elsewhere, but for now, WBL is one of my "for sure" spots for Pike.

Catch 'em fast!

There is a nice small lake not far from WB which has good Northern and excellent Bass. Turtle Lake in Shorview is one of my favorite Bass lakes in the cities. Good thing is that all the Bass are C&R only. Lots of good action. I had my 4 year old out there looking for Crappies a couple of weeks ago. We had 30-40 bass in the boat on crappie minnows and slip bobbers in about 3 hours of fishing. Email me if you would like specifics. [email protected].

I haven't fished WBL at all. Is there a decent shore fishing area to go after the northerns? How about the panfish?

I know bass opens up in about 10 days but I'm wanting to target legal fish until then.

If anybody wants to show me some good spots within 20 minutes of Fridley, I'm game for after work (6pm is clock-out time) and have Friday's off.

MM, email sent! tx so much for the offer. Maybe luke (son) and I could hook up with you sometime if you are going out on the lake.. follow you etc... get a few tips... smile.gif

jbdragon email sent to you as well! Would LOVE to know where to C&R bass!

[This message has been edited by Slyster (edited 05-19-2004).]

Slyster,

I sent you an email. Let me know if you got it. That map is great. If I could figure out how to do that and mark the spots, I would. Just give me a call though. That way we can both pull up the map and I can talk you through it. If you were fishing where that bluegill spot is, you guys were way off, don't worry, I'll put you on them. My number is in the email. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll post my #.

Catch 'em fast!