• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best wes metro bullhead areas

After fishing eyes Saturday from midnight to Noon I will be switching gears and fishing for the "other kind of walleye" (Flatheads) Saturday night and I don't have much free time to gather bait. Does anyone know of a good lake on the west metro, preferably close to 169 where you can catch loads of bullheads in little time?

I am pretty sure no one on here minds letting the cat out of the bag when it comes to bullhead locations smile.gif

korn_fish,
Haven't been down there this year yet, but Gifford Lk right off of Cr41 near the MN river there I've caught tons of bullheads. If you go west on CR41 before you get to the MN river bridge you'll see a access on your left. Follow that all the way to a Y and stay to the left. It'll bring you right to where you can park and fish on either side of the lake. I've also caught some nice channels, tons of carp, northerns and even walleyes there too.

Good luck

If you happen to be in the East Metro anytime soon, stop by Colby lake in Woodbury. You will catch enough for the year. Sorry I can't help better.

hey korn, not sure how far south you wanna go but o'dowds and thole in shakopee have never failed me. I haven't been there yet this year, but always proves to be a good bullie spot. I just use a float and tube jig with a piece of crawler (for some reason the jig gets more) about 5 ft down.

To get there 169 south to marystown rd (not sure of the number, first one past marshall). Follow that southwest till you hit the lake. It's a little dirt road past stonebrooke golf course. Thole is down the road about 1/2 mile. Public pier on both.

In the east metro you could try goose lake, the eastern side of 61. fishing right off white bear avenue right next to shore, there is a cement barrier all along it(actually fish right next to shore, they aren't more than 10ft off it). The lake only has bullheads and there are trillions.
I used to go there when i was younger to hook into a few fish.

I wouldnt mind catching bullheads how many do u catch usually and what do ya use?

On Goose lake I would catch as many as I wanted. Every half minute there would be one on. every day also not just a day here n there.
I used nightcrawlers mostly, I am sure minnows, waxies anything would work.
just fun sometimes catching a ton of fish. and they can put up a fight usually.

O'Dowd and Tholle(sp?) lake in Shakopee, there are rediculous out there.

Pretty much any metro pond is going to have Bullheads in them, and a number of them are loaded with them. Look for shallow ponds under 15 feet in depth with mud bottoms. Bullheads thrive in these.

Thanks everyone.

I was looking at the lake finder on the DNR's website and had been hitting some of them that indicated larger numbers of bullies but wasn't doing so good as far as numbers in a short period of time.

I got spoiled last summer when someone told me about a place where you could nearly walk across the water on the bullies backs they were so thick. It took nearly 15 minutes to get 4 or more dozen and that was with releasing most of them because they were too small. So I was hoping someone could put me on a hotspot like that again.

I'll have to try some of your spots.

Anyone know if it is legal to keep a 7-10 gal. bucket (as a flow troll thingy) in Minnehaha creek to keep bullies?

Check out Silver Lake in the Columbia Heights/St. Anthony area. The Lake is loaded with them, there is only one small public access on the western side of the lake, but many people fish there and constantly catch small bullheads!!

fisher98

Goose lake is right on the other side of White Bear Ave from White Bear Lake.
The main spots i found were right on the eastern shoreline along white bear ave.
And it is a shore fishing spot, There are no spots to put in a boat i believe. Just park at the lions park on white bear lake or on the streets near it. I walk there from my house so i dont worry about parking.