Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
McGurk

Movin' out West- Pro's and Con's?

McGurk

My wife and I are thinking of moving out towards Victoria or Waconia. We both work on the SW side of the cities and are looking for a little more of a hometown feel. Any one live out there who might be able to give some pros and cons to either of the cities and/or area? Is 5 going to lose any stoplights or have any work done? Any one know of any housing that might be up our alley? Any, and I mean ANY, information would be great. Thanks!

CrappieMagnet

If you don't mind the drive.....why don't you try the Jordan area.Affordable,small town atmosphere with good fishing nearby.

In my opinion,Waconia and Victoria will be traffic nightmares in the morning with cty rd 5 the way it is.Also,with cty rd 5 being only a two lane freeway.ICK...Jordan isn't that much further south than Waconia.Just follow cty rd 25 south and you'll see where Jordan is,besides not only is Jordan awesome,it's just all around 'NICE'.Just off 169,and only 15 minutes past Shakopee.Affordable homes also.Waconia has open areas as well as Victoria.Definately the country feeling with corn everywhere.Jordan is hilly and has the woodsie feel,too it.

My .o2 cents worth.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-28-2004).]

Havin' Fun

Waconia is growing very fast right now and is probably my choice. Excellent schools, plenty of new housing developements to the south and west, also behind the school, plenty of lakes(especially Waconia) and it takes only 20 minutes to hit 494. Traffic does stink some at rushhour, but to be honest, not any worse than anywhere else.

Crappie Magnet is also correct. Jordan is definitely nice as well. Great schools, a brand new housing developement going up off 262, and a darn nice golf course now too!
Definitely more of a small town feel to it.

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 04-28-2004).]

unotrouble2

I work in the field of selling and buying homes and if you want my opinion - Delano has everything your looking for in small town feel and excellent schools (and i mean top of the state in public schooling) plus your only 20-25 minutes to St. Louis Park -- just my opinion

EBass

Here's a big Pro in two words; Lake Minnetonka!!

basmastermatt

WACONIA...Is great. It has all kinds of neat things that go along with living in a small town. The fishing is excellent year round and lake minnetonka is only ten minutes away. The one down fall to Waconia right now is that it is growing very fast. (too many danm developments ruining the country side). Victoria is also a nice area. I live in Waconia so if you hav any more ?'s just let me know. By the way there are some homes for sale in CLearwater Mills. It was developed in the late 90's.(97,98,99) So the houses aren't very old. I think they are in the 210-240K range. It is south on 284 towards cologne about one mile or so and then on your left. You should see a large Clearwater Mills sign. Good luck and Good Fish'n
Matt

------------------
Fish On!

Moose-Hunter

As long as you're checking out Waconia, take a drive south down 284 and see if Cologne has anything for you. I've been here since early 1999 and I really enjoy it. There is no construction going on in my area, but I know there are some new-builds going up on the northwest side of town.

Just follow 284 south out of Waconia. As you enter Cologne, there will be a hard left turn to follow 284. Instead of going left, take a right and just drive towards the new houses. I'm not sure on pricing, but it may be worth a look-see.

Good luck on your search!!!

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I moved to Waconia last fall - and I LOVE it! I grew up in small town Iowa (pop 1200), and have always wanted that small town feel. My wife grew up in Burnsville, and wanted the big city. Waconia was the perfect in-between. It's a friendly town, and the people are great. Quick example: Went to the local movie store, and there was a young kid working the counter. I figured he'd be like the BlockBuster kids - no personality, and annoyed to help you. He wasn't - asked about my move to the town, how I liked it, etc. What a great feeling. smile.gif

Waconia is also big enough that you really don't have to leave the town if you don't want to. The County Market in town is outstanding, 2 hardware stores, plenty of small town bars. If you do need to run into town, it's not far to Chanhassen or Chaska.

As for the drive...well, it can be a bear at times. If you work in the SW burbs, you're probably better off going HWY 10 south out of town, through Chaska, and picking up 212 (to 101 if you're down by Shakopee/Savage). I haven't heard of any more improvments on 5, but they will be starting the new 212 in 2005 (or 2006 - can't remember what I heard).

My wife works on Penn and 494 - takes her about an hour to get to work. I'm in Eden Prairie - takes me about 45 minutes.

Also, plenty of homes for sale in Waconia. A lot of them are built in the last 5 years. From my experience, not a lot of people are moving out there, so homes stay on the market around 60 days. If you can find some one motivated to move, you might be able to bargain a little bit.

Let me know if you have more questions - always glad to help!

McGurk

Well, I like the response to this subject; thanks again!

We've been to both Waconia and Victoria and I have to agree; Waconia has that small town feel with most everything we need. I also grew up in a small town up north (Parkers Prairie, pop. 986) and my wife grew up in Farmington so we want that rurual setting. We haven't been to Cologne or Montrose or Jordan. Delano was a little north we both agreed. She works at 169 and 494, I work in Bloomington.

Is there much of a driving difference between a Waconia drive and a Victoria drive on 5 to 494?

Also, is anyone looking to move to East Bloomington in the near future??? There just may be a house for sale there...

danny berg

When I decided to move out west I started in Jordan, and looked all over straight north of there, I ended up in Watertown, but spend a fair amount of time in Waconia, Colonge, Victoria, St Boni,Mound and Delano. All great. You might want to check out the Mound/Minnetrista/St Boni area, they have some nice new developments going in.

Danny

CrappieMagnet

Hi Dobber...

Just have to say..I love the fishhouse!

CM

p.s When yah coming up fishing?

LOL

Dobber

CM-

I'm glad the fish house worked out for ya.
I'm trying to finish up a winter project (I'm putting a front projection home theater in my basement) and as soon as I'm done I'll be ready to slay the slabs!

Dobber

Big Brown

McGurk,

You grew up in Parkers Prairie? I went to college in Moorhead with a whole crew of guys that graduated from PP in 1988. Maybe you know some of them? Revering, Schultz, Zimmerman, Mulford, Myers......

I also appreciate your post. My wife and I are looking out that way and live in Richfield. I grew up in Shakopee and that has even gotten to be too "big town" to move back. We are strongly considering Waconia & Jordan. Have you looked at any acreage that you can use your own builder on? My brother in law builds homes and I would like to have him do mine if possible.

-Big Brown-

CrappieMagnet

Cool..Look me up,and we will go.

CM

CrappieMagnet

Set me up a projection tv.JK

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-28-2004).]

McGurk

Big Brown,

Small world. Those guys are few years older than me, but I know that crew. Probably Dan Rev., Paul Sch., John Mulf., and the rest. Funny. My older sister was their age and went to NDSU and Concordia for a couple of years, and I went to NDSU.

We're pretty early in our search and are actually thinking of buying an existing home if the right one pops up. There are some beautiful places that I am sure will go soon with the prices as reasonable as they are. Especially compared to the "convenience" of Bloomington/ Richfield. A little too cookie cutter for us. Good Luck in the future!

McGurk

Coach Dog

I just moved out to Waconia in January and really like it. It definitely has that small-town feel. LOTS to do in that town and it has lots to offer: new County Market, bars, restaurants, 2 hardware stores, movie theatre, nice parks, the lake, new community center, plenty of business downtown, and great schools. All with reasonable property taxes which is a plus this day and age. And for whatever reason, it has I think 5 gas stations rolleyes.gif Not to take a jab at Victoria, but quite frankly, it doesn't offer nearly as much as Waconia.

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

unotrouble2

if your serious about that house in East Bloomington - shoot me an e-mail - i may have somebody in mind smile.gif -- unotrouble2@yahoo.com -- thanks

unotrouble2

if your serious about that house in East Bloomington - shoot me an e-mail - i may have somebody in mind smile.gif -- unotrouble2@yahoo.com -- thanks

DTro

wow, with all the Jordan FM'ers we should start a subgroup. smile.gif
I've been here for 3 yrs also and love it.

slabberknocker

I live in Montrose which is a little north of where you are talking, but it has a lot of housing going up. There are four developers in and right outside of town right now. Delano is nice, but I heard the property taxes are outrageous. I may be wrong. Montrose has about 2000 people. It is located right on Highway 12 and I work in NE Minneapolis and it takes 50 - an hour to get to work.

Slab

Dobber

McGurk,

I've lived in Jordan for 3+ years and I really like the small town atmosphere. Before I bought here, I asked some of the people at work where some nice areas to buy were and they told me the first rule was "If you work south of the river (Minnesota) then buy south of the river." I guess the traffic can really get backed up crossing the river. I work in Shakopee so Jordan has worked out real well for me. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get to work with barely any traffic. The housing is very affordable as well. It's definately the small town atmosphere in Jordan where people are very friendly and nobody ever seems to be in any big hurry. The drawbacks to a small town is you don't have the big chain stores (Home Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy) but that is what keeps Jordan a small town. And CrappieMagnet is right- there is some good fishing within 20 minutes in several directions. Good luck in your search.
Dobber

P.S. If you do decide to buy in Jordan, thanks in advance for helping me pay for the new high school! smile.gif

McGurk

Sounds like we'll have to broaden our search out west. Thanks again for all the response!

fishnutbob

Dont overlook Watertown, Many new homes going up and I read in the local paper country living at affordable prices not that far from Hwy seven and close to Waconia, six miles from Mound, Mayer also has many new homes just off Hwy 7. Lots of good lakes to fish also.

PerchJerker

I better toss in my $.02. We moved to one of the new developments in St. Boni last summer, and like it a lot. Very close to Waconia and Victoria. We've got friends in Chanhassen, Victoria, Waconia, and St. Boni, and everyone really likes it around here.

The only real complaint we have is that the grocery stores, home improvement stores, etc. are all 15-25 minutes away from St. Boni. It's not that big of a deal and it's something you get used to planning around, but it was an adjustment at first after living 5 minutes away from all that stuff in Lakeville/Apple Valley.

One nice thing about St. Boni is the rush hour drive on Highway 7. Not many stoplights. Not much west of here that generates a lot of traffic. Not all that much east of here for a ways due to the Carver Park Reserve and Lake Minnetonka. My wife and I both work in the 169 - Crosstown - 494 area, and it's less than a 30 minute drive. Really like that.

Hope this helps - good luck.