• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FISHING OUT OF SEASON

WONDERING WHAT EVERONE THINKS. I LIVE NORTH OF THE METRO AND HAVE TO DRIVE IN EVERY DAY. I HAVE BEEN SEEING MORE AND MORE PEOPLE STANDING IN THEIR BOATS CASTING. I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE PAN FISHING. THE DNR SAID YOU CAN NOT FISH FOR BASS NORTHERN ECT. OUT OF SEASON. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK. DOES ANYONE CARE? DOES THE DNR CARE?

GREAT FISHING TO ALL

I would guess most everyone including the dnr cares. If you really think they are fishing out of season you should make a call to the TIP (turn in poacher) line. I do some casting of beetle spins and small jig/minnows for crappies so I couldn't say they arent fishing panfish unless you can see what they are tossing for bait. Obviously if they are throwing huge baits they arent fishiing panfish though.

the following # was copy and pasted from another post on the site so I cant gaurentee its accuracy but here it is-
The # is 1-800-652-9093.

I cast constantly when spring Crappie fishing. I think a little more specific info would be needed before callin tip.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle

The reason for my post is I watched two people a few days back on white bear lake casting huge spinners. I know white bear has a good crappie bite in spring but there is no way they were fishing for crappies. just kind of bugged me.

great fishing to all

I've seen the same thing in the past, people with nice baitcaster casting some stuff that is oh about the same size and small crappie. Good thing was they weren't catching anything. In my own defense I do some casting and trolling with small baits to try and locate or pick up some active crappies. Worked last weekend. You bound to pick up a bass in the shallows doing this but its the same if your fishing with crawler pieces going for sunnies. If the fish are hungry they're going to gulp it up, just like me.

I was wondering is it ok to fish for bass etc in the rivers like missi or st croix as long as its catch and release or is it just the catch and release sections Like pool 2 below the ford dam.

I've seen people flipping plastic worms under docks on Walleye opener at Tanners last year with their 15k bass boats. I really doubt they were fishing for eyes. Almost should have called TIP on these guys since they were also disobeying the speed ordinance and buzzing around the lake as well. Its people like that who are "pro-basser wanabes" and don't follow any of the regs that tend to ruin the sport at times frown.gif

Drives me nuts when I see people doing things like that myself. I have the TIP number on voice dial on my cell phone. Just tired of seeing people who just don't care what the regs are, the see open water, so it's open season.
On the other hand, I had a guy from Oklahoma ask me some questions the other day.. weanted to make sure he wasn't doing anything wrong in his first fishing season here in MN. Didn't know what a Northern or Walleye was, but wanted to make sure that he wasn't doing anything to seem like he was trying to catch one while we were fishing Crappie from shore.
I do have a question on the C-n-R zones on the Mississippi, though.
Just because it's catch -n- release only, does that mean that you can actively fish for smallies say, as an example, tomorrow?
Looking on the Mississippi forum, there seems to be a LOT of people who are actively targeting Smallies right now, and for some reason, it doesn't seem right to me.

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

Dragon fish, You are not allow to fish for species with a closed season. unless your in an area such as pool 2. As for the guys fishing big spinner baits and worms when bass season is closed. I think CO's should hand out tags and start collecting equipment. When these loser start losing boat for fishing out season species. Maybe things would change. I called tip on guys today fishing more than 1 line for crappies from a boat. If they thought fishing in the rain out 250 yds from shore nobody would though. WRONG. I only have 7x50 binos. But can still read the numbers.

I don't fish for out of season fish, but yesterday I was out fishing for crappies and sunnies throwing a small flu-flu style jig tipped with a minnow and I was trolling around in 5-12 ft of water. I'm sure to the UNTRAINED eye it would have appeared that I was fishing for Bass or something else. My partner and I were catching a lot of northerns and bass but we were also catching and targeting crappies and sunnies. So someone tell me I was wrong.

Happy Fishing smile.gif
Chev

Greatfishing, you probably just saw someone out there fishing for dogfish(at least thats the justification thats been used by one other "angler" on this board in the past). Some people will use whatever reason they can to hit the bass early.

Chev-

I think that the point of this topic is and was people that are obviously targeting out of season species. I can guarantee that most of us have, on more than one occasion, been fishing for one species, with lures and presentations that are obviously for in season fish, and caught one that wasn't in season.
Your northern & bass hitting a flu-flu is one example of that. The important thing is, you immediately released them, correct?

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

[This message has been edited by slick814 (edited 04-25-2004).]

Chev-

I think that the point of this topic is and was people that are obviously targeting out of season species. I can guarantee that most of us have, on more than one occasion, been fishing for one species, with lures and presentations that are obviously for in season fish, and caught one that wasn't in season.
Your northern & bass hitting a flu-flu is one example of that. The important thing is, you immediately released them, correct?

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

Yes, all fish that were caught out of season went back into the water immeadiately. I do a lot of fishing with a 14 yr old kid and he was along and caught a nice northern and wanted to take a picture of it. Well I feel kind of bad cause I wouldn't let him back the rules state released immeadiately. I explained it to him and we continued our search.

By the way I called the tip line on a guy fishing in a bay of Twin/Sylvia for bass and sunfish with 7 lines. He was keeping everything he caught. grrrrr! That chaps my hide. Think I'm gonna start carrying a bazooka in my boat.

Anyways Happy Fishing smile.gif
Chev

I was out on Saturday and caught 20 sunnies, 12 northerns and a bass. They were all caught in the same area on genz worms tipped with waxies. If people are keeping fish that are out of season, targeting them, fishing extra lines, or way over their limit of panfish, I call the tip line. It's our resource so help protect it. The DNR seems way understaffed. I fish 50 days a year and have not been checked in 5 years.

I don't think there is a whole lot wrong with catching a few fish out of season as long as you release them right away. I know this will make a lot of people mad, but that is my opinion. When bass fishing opens there is usually a good number of bass still spawning and then people go and catch them off of there beds. this i don't agree with at all and don't do a lot of. I look for the deapper fish. What is wrong with catching some know if they are just crusing for minnows in the shallows as well as walleyes. Down south they don't even close the seasons.

i think they should just open bass as catch and release so this is not an issue and i do not have to drive to Wisconsin and spend my money over there

------------------
Rather Be Fishing!!!

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 04-26-2004).]

I hate to see the posts that call people "bass-pro wanna bees". That is just wrong!! There are just as many people sitting on shore or fishing from smaller boats who are doing this stuff as well. I was on Prior on Saturday and sunday to break in my new power head and to enjoy some time on the water with my "15K" bass boat...does that make me a poacher. You all better be sure of what you are turning in before you go and call TIP.....I understand and fully back the TIP program!! But if make this call everytime you do not like what or where someone else is fishing, it will become very uneffective.

I was throwing a beatle spin around, clearly fishing for crappies and caught 10 bass and a northern along with 7 nice Crappies, did I do something wrong because I am in a "15K" bass boat? Who is to say that someone driving a canoe isn't doing the same stuff? Or maybe someone on shore....the point is, if you see someone breaking the law by all means turn them in, I would. But if you have no proof and have not witnessed a law being broken, you are wasting the time of the CO's in this state who are already over worked and under paid.

There are many who do enjoy the sport of Bass fishing and do NOT break any season laws, please don't lump us all into the same group unless you are 100% sure that we are all lawbreakers!!!

If you drive a sports car, does that make you a speeder? NO, it is the driver and not the car or boat in this situation.

I am totally against poaching, but I am also against wasting the time of CO's and DNR tax money mind you....Unless it is 100% positive that someone is catching and keeping intentially. I was fishing last week throwing a minnow on a small jig for crappie, where people were catching crappie, and I caught 3 nice sized bass. All were about 2 pounds or so. Would I have liked it if someone there saw me catch one, then two, and called me in ? I would have had no problem talking to a CO and explaining, but still I think it would have been a big waste of TIME. I just think people need better judgement. Extra lines, big plugs etc... yeah call em in. But seeing someone from the road while they are out in a boat ?? Concentrate on driving....

By the way two days later, same spot French Park officer checked my license. First time ever for me....

My two cents...

Chad

Wow to say the least... This is quite the topic. I am going to have to side with the rest of the country on this one and say that our DNR here in MN should open it up for c-n-r and not worry about this stuff. People are to quick to judge and we can't afford to have our DNR running to ever guy who catchs a bass in the spring. If you guys look at the rest of the States in our country you will see very few have such backwards rules as we do here in MN. Other states never even close there bass season...do they still hasve good numbers of bass..YES i have fished all over the country and will tell you that they should do something about our seasons here in MN. Another quick thing the DNR screwed up was our Deer. The states around us all figured out how to have big deer and lots of them...but no not MN. They are just now tring to correct a 15 year screw up. They even admited to it. (It has to do with shooting does(for those of you who do not hunt)). Anyways, I am not for people to break the law. I am also not for wasting what little time our CO's have. I don't agree with the law and think that the DNR and the state should recognize this on-going problem and aleaviate it. Open it up to c-n-r....or don't even close the season.....just have spawning grounds on the major lakes that get spring pressure closed off like they do on Tonka. It's an idea not sure if it would work but it seems to work there. Good Luck and Good Fish'n
Matt

------------------
Fish On!

Pike...so then why do most states not close there bass season? Not sure if that would have an adverse effect. They're going to be caught by crappie fisherman any ways aren't they?? Pike...??

------------------
Fish On!

Gentlemen and ladies if applicable.... The law is the law regardless of how individuals interpret it.

We have got some of the best Bass fishing in the country. When I was a kidd most people only caught them by accident because they didn't care for them, the ones that targeted them let them all go. Our bass fishing is fantastic! Leave the laws alone. Leave the bass alone till the season starts. If you catch one now accidently, let it go. If they are all you are catching, MOVE! If that is all you enjoy catching, or know how to catch, I feel sorry for you. They are pretty easy to catch for the most part, and even get boring after awhile. I thank the good Lord for variety.

While I would love to enjoy Bass fishing year round on a C&R basis, let's not forget that there's still a mortality rate for fish that are released immediately. It would still have an adverse effect on fish population, whether you're pulling them off beds or not.
Just my $.02.