Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Mattypeach

Best Topwater for Largemouth?

Mattypeach

I am partial to the buzz baits, but have enjoyed watching the skitter-pop-looking "sticks" on the Outdoor chanel.

What is your favorite or preferred topwater lure/technique for largemouth?

When and where have you found it to be most effective?

Thanks -- 'peach

Mr Special

Heddon Torpedo with spinner in frog green. Early morning on Tonka near docks. Hard to beat topwater action.

The Yeti

A lure called Moss Boss has always worked well for me.

The Yeti

A lure called Moss Boss has always worked well for me.

Mr Special

The Scumfrogs, white w/green spots or black work good too. I use them in the weeds and lily's, also early morning.

SCUMFROG

SCUMFROGS. I use all the colors any time of day. I've found that bass see a frog as an easy meal to digest.

Mr Special

JitterBug, I personally like the two piece ones in yellow, green and fire tiger.

Hey IronMike where are ya anyways he always does really good on topwater baits." wink wink"

Is it season yet?

ironmike

I think you know my track record with top water. Give me a jig or a Senko and watch out. Settin' the water on fire.

ps. Mr. Special, clean your boat trailer wheels. Are you storing that grease for later use?

Lunker

Scumfrogs and poppers are my favs.

Daze Off

My all-time favorite topwater is the Zara Spook in Silver Flitter Shad - nothing like a strike while you are "walking the dog" although I've never had a topwater bite on anything that didn't get the old blood pumping....Just found a Heddon Dying Flutter in the same color and can hardly stand waiting to try it out....

Daze Off

Trailblazin

Zara Spook - nothing better....

Maximum12

I'll heartily second the Jitterbug. Love it. But I too love watching bass hit the topwater, so I'll buy a few others suggested here, maybe I'll have a new favorite by July.

gundy89

Skitter pop is always my best but my fishin buddy catches twice as many as I do with the spook. I gotta learn to walk the dawg!

TUMBLEWEED

Fot clear sailing I like the ole Hula Popper
in yellow or dark green. The skitter pops
are nice too. When it becomes thick and
jungle-like, I always go with my Bill
Norman's WeedWalkers in white and Chartreuse.

The trick of all of them is to not jerk
back when ya got a fish boiling up and
hitting the bait. Wait until you feel the
strike in your rod,THEN set the hook!!
This is way easier said then done...

BigMike

I have never been a big topwater guy, but this is my year to learn. I'm all stocked up on buzzbaits, Zara Spooks, and torpedos. I've already been out early this year on Pool 2 and when the fish weren't hitting, I decided to pull out the topwater to just practice "walking the dog" and it isn't as tough as I thought it was going to be! And it seems that a walk the dog presentation would help with the premature hook sets too because of having to keep your rod tip lower to the water and the little bit of slack in the line needed to walk it. I've been telling myself not to set the hook until I feel the fish on the line, not when I see it blowup on the lure... That might be a bigger challenge than learning to walk the dog!

EBass

A scum frog is all I need. I'll get shy bass to hit that. I let it pause for a long time though. Especially if I can see them, then give it a shake and a twitch, is it opener yet!?!?

I do like buzzbaits as well and poppers, and spooks, and the torpedo with the blade that ticks.

OK I like them all and got to have them all!

Jughead

I have 4 blue Rapala skitter pops in my box at all times. Every year I lose one to a northern and the others get beat up. They will always seem to work in the calmer waters regardless of weather.

MedicineMan

The old wooden Hula-poppers. Expecially the red and white hula-poppers. I've got a few of them things, but since there antiques and the fact that my dad would kill me if I used them, I make copies of them for myself. I tell you what, they still produce better than anything out there. smile.gif

jeffyo45

Growing up I used to use floating rapalas. Haven't used them since I was 13 (25 now). Always tempted to try them when nothing else is working.

Buzzbaits have really been the only topwater I use since I got back into fishing. Last year I fished with a guy who would use a Weed Walker (weedless buzzbait) as a locater bait followed up by a Scum Frog, fishing pads. Our 5 fish bag was right around 23 lbs. You do the math. I will be using this technique when the time comes. Bought a couple Weed Walkers to go along with the Scum Frogs I bought last year.

I guess it doesn't really qualify as a topwater but when the bass are real agressive I will surface pop weightless plastic worms. It really ticks the fish off and they can't stand to ignore it.

I know poppers work well too. My league partner caught a nice 19" smallie on one last year.

As everyone has indicated it is much easier to say than do, to not set the hook at the explosion.

Daze Off

One of the coolest things about the Zara's and wlaking the dog is "steering it" -walking it around cover or walking it up to some brush and giving it that one little tick to make it "look into the bush" and WHAM........

Daze Off

Maximum12

Trying not to set the hook on the explosion...that's been reeeeeaaaallly hard for me. I can't count the number of bass I've missed the past couple of years because of basic, ah, inattention & then spazzing out by setting the hook the moment I see a boil. Maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll have cured myself of that. Then again, maybe not.

Lost

Last year was the first time I did any Largemouth fishing. My catches were all on a black popping ScumFrog. I picked up a couple Zara Spooks to try this year. Exactly how do you "walk the dog"?

Mattypeach

AWESOME INFO!! Thanks to all and I hope we can keep them coming!

Here is the news so far:

Buzz Baits
Skitterpop
Heddon Torpedo in Frog Green with Spinner
Moss Boss
ScumFrogs in White w. green spots or Black
JitterBug in Yellow, Green, or Fire Tiger in Two Pieces
Zara Spook in Silver Flitter Shad
Heddon Dying Flutter in Silver Flitter Shad
Hula Popper in Yellow or Dark Green
Bill Norman's WeedWalkers in White or Chartreuse

How's that for a shopping list?!?!?

'peach

Daze Off

Lost,

Tougher to describe than to do - make long cast na dlet bait sit until rings in water disappear. Allow some slack to form in line. Sometimes a slight twitch or two before beginning the retrieve gets a strike too.

With some slack in the line, use rod tip to pop lure just enough to move it - it will usually go to one side or another. Immediately repeat and the bait should go in the other direction. Can vary the "walk" with short, rapid strokes to really make the bait go back and forth or slower ones that allow the bait to glaide a bit in either direction. I find it tough to keep the motion in the bait up close to the boat.

As for strikes - it is usually not the boils that get me to pull the trigger too early - it is when I see a swell of water forming behind the bait and know that something awesome is about to happen.....have had northerns leave the water like ballistic missles and even had one slam into the boat just as I lifted the bait out.

Developing the skill of "walking the dog" will take some practice and experimentation but it is well worth the effort.

Hope this helps....

Daze Off