• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Drift Socks

I know I saw a post about these awhile ago, but can't find it now.

I am wondering which brands people prefer best. I've heard that some are more subject to twisting and collapsing than others. Any info appreciated.

I use 2 different Socks . It all depends on the speed i want to troll or drift at . my boat is 14' which i put either a sock rated for 18' to 20' or over 20" on.Dont know if it is allowed to name the brand for sure . both have floats on the top side and weights on the bottom side. helps alot in opening faster. Both have hoop to attach a tag line to that really hepls getting it out of the water. to attach to the boat i have line i run from the bow eye hook to a cleat near the bow. to this i got a heavy duty type of swivel, kinda like you would have for a big dog leash. it is able to slide freely down the line to the boweye hook. i then attach the sock to the clip and and let it out and attach the tag line to cleat aslo.

[This message has been edited by rockhardinmn (edited 04-20-2004).]

Thanks for the response rockhardinmn. Good to know. Anyone know about the "Wave Tamer"?

Lindy, I cant rememeber the brand name of the 2 drift socks I have. The blue on is a piece of junk and the white one is a lot better. The white one is so much easier to deal with in the wind (which is when you are usually using them). The white one was a lot better float and weight system to keep it upright. It also has a stiff larger opening which helps a lot in not getting it all tangled up. I wish I knew what the name of it was to tell you. I know it was a little more expensive than the others, but worth it. It comes with a black mesh bag. Think I got it at Gander Mountain.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I've seen a blue "Sea Anchor" at Gander. Looks pretty simple, maybe that's what you're referring to. The "Wave Tamer" is white and I've seen that at Cabelas, was almost twice the price. It did have a flexible hoop to help it open as well as a float on the top.

I've heard some very conflicting reports, so if anyone else has specifics to add, please do.

I use a Sea Anchor (blue). I don't use it much on smaller water. However it can slow down your drift or troll and be a great asset when fishing walleyes on a larger body of water. Boat control is everything when fishing walleyes.

Fish Head

I use drift controll drift socks (they are blue)and I use them a lot, they keep the boat even with the wind and slow you down. You can drift a pretty straight line.

If it gets really windy, I'll use two and won't have problems. If you drift jigs for Walleyes, I strongly recomend them. You can use them for back trolling too, it will slow you down and give you control.

The drift controll socks work great for me.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole #1 (edited 04-26-2004).]

i needed two socks. one just didn't slow my boat down enough. learned that lessen the hard way -ie other boats going slower and were boating walleye - 0 for me. so go with a big sock or go with 2.

lindy rig

I also have been wondering the same thing.
most of the metro lakes are small and I don't think they are used alot. I would try posting this question on mille lacs, lake of the woods or the other large lake forums they are used all the time on these lakes.

great fishing to all