• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Start practicing now

I just picked up my first Baitcasting setup and went out today to start practicing casting and backlashing prevention. I'm glad I did! I spent about 45 minutes out there just casting and retrieving and backlash removing. During the last 10 minutes I only had two more backlashes but they were easily removed.

Just a suggestion for those of you who are trying something new or are rusty, get out there now and practice before the openers come around. It will save you a lot of headaches when the big fish grabs your hook.

I was out in the yard the other day teaching my wife to cast a bait caster. Just cut a scrap piece of wood about the size of a jackpot and drilled a hole in it. Can't wait to start throwing the real thing. smile.gif

Wally H

Lost,

A little tip on the baitcaster to reduce the majority of your backlashes. Always set the Brake on the reel for your lure weight.

When you get this set it will become second nature when changing out lures to increase the brake for heavier lures & decrease for lighter lures.

Good luck with your new Set-up

Chris

------------------
"Fishing is an addiction, Anybody got some more?"

[This message has been edited by SportFishin' (edited 04-09-2004).]

How do I avoid backlashes: I only cast spinning reels! Ha Ha!
Casting reels do have there place when casting lures for bass and pike.
I use my casting reel for drift fishing for walleyes because I use the flippin button on the reel to let out line when the depth changes deeper. You don't have to re-engage the reel handle every time you let out line.
Also if your right handed and normally use spinning reels and reel with your left hand,
try using a left handed casting reel. Why switch hands to start reeling all the time when your left hand can reel in just fine. And you can start reeling immediately!
Good Luck!

Hey - When I use spinning reels, I reelin with my right hand. I use baitcasting reels 90% of the time and those are righty too....I just cannot get adjusted to reeling in with my left hand with any set up.

It is all personal preference, that's all!

But Yes - If you new to baitcasters- Practice. I recommend tightening the brake all the way down! Slowly loosen after you have had time to practice. Also - practice using your thumb for control and palm the reel!

The way I was taught to set the brake was to tighten it up so the lure doesn't fall. Then loosen it so that when you release your thumb it will stay until you shake the rod tip a little bit and then it falls easily to the water. I set my brake like that all the time and very rarely have backlashes.

Wally H

Thanks for the tips guys. I need to get some heavier gear to work with my rod (it's rated 1/2 to 3 ounce). I was practicing with a 3/8 practice plug.

Anyway, the point is, especially for us novices, get out there and practice now. You'll be glad you did instead of trying to get a tangle out and suddenly having the fish of a lifetime grab the other end.

I'm glad this topic came up because I'm lost. I always thought about trying a baitcaster, but have always used spinning reels. I was at fleet farm the other day and they had a pflueger trion baitcasting combo, it seemed nice and at a reasonable price, so I bought it.

I have no idea how to use it and could really use some help. Does anyone else own this reel?

Ole

Ole that trion is one of the smoothest casting rigs ya can get!!! Just remember to set the magnetic drag a little tighter when you are first starting to use it and you should be ok. The more you use it and the better you get at it then you can loosen that drag up and feather the spool with your thumb.First rule of thumb for any bait caster set the magnetic or casting drag so when you push the release button the lure you have on will slowly fall to the ground and when it hits the ground the spool will stop spinning .If line comes off the spool when the lure hits the ground then tighten up the magnetic drag more ! also the trick to casting is to not wing it out there until you get better at casting but to just lob it at first .Also very important to feather your thumb on the line spool if you do throw it to hard and the second the lure hits the water put your thumb on the spool to help it stop spinning that way you won't get the bad backlashes like I did when I first started out!!!.It took me 3 summers to figure those darn bait casters out about 12 years ago !! I would throw a few cast and get a terrible backlash and throw the darn rod & reel down in the bottom of the boat and when I got home I would get ot the backlash most of the time it was cut out the backlash and respool for the next weekend!!!
Now I run 5 baitcasters and 5 spinning rods when I'm tournament fishing
Good luck
Tight lines all
Basswacker

[This message has been edited by baswacker (edited 04-10-2004).]

Thanks baswacker.

Is the magnetic drag the dial with the + and - on it? Or is it the star shaped deal by the handle?

Thanks again.

Ole

Throw the lures in your yard, Those grass bass(dogs) are really aggressive this time of year, another thing is you can practice your flipping into a bucket, or set up a piece of tarp or something and practice flipping under your trees, One thing I love that it is that nice morning, perfect for fishing fog lifting off the lake, sunrising, like a scene for rapala, you can almost hear the music, then you hear your buddy in the back, weeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffffff, mad.gifshocked.gif "Go!@#$%^it" What else can you say but you better leave that alone, I think there are still eggs in that nest! Or I think it is time to play she loves me, she loves me not.
Best Fishes
Chris

One thing to mention for those of you just starting out, heavier lures/sinkers are easier than the light stuff, especially in the wind. & I suggest only putting a small amount of line on the spool at first, that way when you do get a BL that you have to cut, you're not wasting a whole spool.

Another technique to try, instead of running your thumb directly on the line on the spool, try running it on the edge of the spool itself. What I mean by that is, where the spool meets the main body of the reel. Line doesn't always spool back up smoothly, so your thumb has to follow the contour of the line on the spool. If you run your thumb (or fingernail) on the side of the spool where there isn't any line, it's much smoother and you get better feel for what the line is doing during the cast. I have much better luck on the spools edge than I do on the line on the spool.

Once you get it down, you should eventually be able to turn all the magnets and braking off and cast freespool, which will give you much better feel & control. Happy fishing boys!

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

Ole, if you want to practice casting into water, get some "practice plugs" from your local tackle shop. They don't cost much and you won't get in trouble because there are no hooks on them. That's what I did.

Now, as for the question about the 3 ounce lures... I've got it for targeting giant northern and musky and catfish.

heres how i've always taught people with new bait casters how to do it.
the small silver cap that is on the other side of the reel from your reel handle is the brake. set that so that when you release the spool your lure will slowly fall to the ground. when it hits the ground the spool should stop.if it drops to fast the spool will over spin. just tighten it up a little till you get it right. the dial with the + and - is your magnets. first time users should just turn it up all the way and slowly turn it down with each cast till they can cast with out back lash.don't whip the lure out like on a spin cast reel. lob it out and lightly touch the spool with your thumb to control the spool spin.this will take some practice.once you get good at thumbing the spool you can turn down the magnets and get a longer cast. with practice you will get good at it. oh and one note. be carfull casting into the wind.you can get big backlash doing that if you don't thumb the spool.

Thanks for the help guys. How do I practice this without getting in trouble for targeting fish out of season.

Thanks again.

Ole

I buy left handed bait cast reels, use spinning reels 95% of the time, I don't like to change hands with the rod every cast.
(I'm right handed)

Try taking about 25 yards of line out then putting a piece of tape across the spool.then if you get a backlash its easy to get out.that way you wont be afraid of casting like you would when your fishing.