• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

medicine lake

i think i was the last person to ice fish med, i fished it on march 26, fishing was very good, i caught about 50 or 60 perch biggest was 9, i also caught 6 walleyes biggest was 6 inches, i fished all along the south shore, everywhere i 15 feet of water i found the fish, and i also caught quite a few large shiners, they where like 6 in, we had to take a boat to the ice but it was all worth it oh and i got burnt from the sun

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• local boy

• huskiesplayer15

• Joe Harty

Congrats - but are you sure those fish were shiners? The DNR Gillnet report says there are Goldeyes in Medicine Lake, and I have always been curious to know if it is true. A 6 inch goldeye would look a lot like a shiner...

Hey Local Boy, that must've been you that I saw out there on Friday. I got the boat out on Friday and I'm takin' it for a spin out on Med sometime this week. I'm gonna bring the VCR out with me so I can do some more filming with the Aqua-Vu. smile.gif Roughfisher, I have a feeling that the Goldeye that the DNR caught was a stray. The Goldeye most likely came from the Mississippi. During high water fish can easily swim up Bassett Creek from the Mississippi.

Good to hear local boy is back in action. Guess I should get my boat ready to go out. I havent fished in a week and am getting anxious for the feel of fish tugging on the line.!!!!!

rough

you may be right but they looked more like shiners to me. how do u guys usually do right after ice out?

a few more days and they should be in the backwaters of french park. 1/64oz jig under a bobber has worked best in the past.

MedMan - anywhere else you find spring crappies on Med?

DB

Hey guys that back bay you are talking about is that fishable from shore? i am on spring break now but no boat, really want to chase them!
Best Fishes
Chris

DB, the backwaters of French Park are the best Crappie spots from what I hear. That entire back bay is shallow and muddy, so if you have a boat check that out as well. I personally don't fish for Crappies. I won't fish untill opener. Untill then I'm gonna do some exploring. smile.gif

Huskies, you can very easily fish the back channels from shore. Oh yeah, I'm 99.9% certain that I'm taking the boat out on Medicine on thursday. I need to get out on the open water so bad I've got the shakes! grin.gif

just biked down to med and it is totally ice free, i saw two things that i didnt like, one disapointing thing i saw was that i saw people fishing for northerns, and the other was i saw numerous nrortherns with jigs in the side of them and others that had been snagged and had big sores on them

Hey Local Boy, when you see people doing that, call up the DNR. I've seen some pretty shady stuff go down around Medicine the past few years. I give the DNR a call and the next day they're out there inspecting everything. You really don't see anyone breaking any laws once the CO's are out there. smile.gif

not a bad idea, do u happen to have the DNR's number?

Local Boy,
Where on Earth on Medicine were these guys snagging Northerns. I was at French Park today and all I saw was a couple of people jigging for crappies.
Ole

Ole, Local Boy is referring to the people that fish West Medicine Lake Park. The back waters of Plymouth Creek are a popular fishing spot. I didn't see anyone fishing in the back channels when I stopped by French Park after class today. I was standing by the launch watching the ice break up. Thats soooo cool to watch! smile.gif

Med Man,
Okay I gotcha! Yeah, I was also by the launch around 10am watching the ice break up. It is pretty cool to see it go. Especially when you have to wait this long to fish open water.
I usually stay away from the West side of the lake. Thanks for the info!
Ole

------------------
"Please release me let me go"

Northerns go after anything (jigs) so to say someone is Targeting Northerns would have to be convincing. I wouldn't switch lures, unless I had 3 illegal fish, then try something else.. Just a thought.

yeh the back waters of west med park have many people doin illegal things, i've seen peopl take home way more than there limit, people catching bass before the opener and keeping them, and numerous other things, its a very disterbing thing to see

Could anyone give me directions to west medicine park or to french? I need to get out and this lake sounds like fun.
Best Fishes
Chris

huskiesplayer15, I see that you live up in Andover. Thats quite a drive down to Medicine. Heres a map for ya to look at:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?c ountry=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=&city=medicine+lake&state=mn&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map

That little red star is of course, Medicine Lake. Hope this helps! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MedicineMan (edited 04-06-2004).]

Thanks Medicine man, I plan on coming down today. Thanks for the directions.
Best Fishes
Chris

Well, looks like I'm taking the boat out tomorrow. Its supposed to be pretty windy, but that just means less boats out there. smile.gif

i saw my first boat on open water, thats always a good sign

Well, took the boat out today. It was a beautiful day to take the boat out! I was able to try some new manuvers and also try out the new wind sock and electronics. smile.gif Looks like 90% of the fish are still deep. Fish were in anywhere from 15-40 feet of water. I found some fish shallower than that. Most of the fish we suspended right off of breaks.

[This message has been edited by MedicineMan (edited 04-08-2004).]

Hey medman...I saw you out there today, looked like you were throwing out deep sea nets, not a wind sock. Also, looked like you were wearin bright white long underwear....or was that your legs ?

Lakeman

Joe, those must be REALLY good drugs you're on. If you had looked, I wasn't wearing any white at all. I wore my hip boots the entire time I was out there. I was too lazy to take them off, and those are brown! Maybe I should've done some donuts right in front of your place, then you would've gotten a really good look at them. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

yeah..they're really good alright...must be the non-arsenic lumber I've been buying for new dock sections. I have some filming sites in mind for your aqua-vu so look me up sometime. You were looking very focused out there, wish I didn't have to work all the time or I'd join ya ! Thanks for the fish report.

Lakeman