• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Regultaions... clarification?

OK, here goes. It drives me nuts watching other fishermen breaking the regs that we all know, but I do have one question for everyone. Maybe there's a CO out there that can clarify it?
I know that it's illegal to attempt to catch fish out of season. EVERYONE knows this.
That's where the question comes from.
This afternoon, I saw 3 people using spinners and/or Rapalas,. I asked them what they were going after, and they smiles and said "Crappies"... when I mentioned that because of the lures they were using, a CO may consider them to be attempting to catch something else, I got one funny look, and a big "f-off" from the other two.
I personally wouldn't be caught using the types of klures that they were this time of year, especially on a lake that is known to have decent populations of Bass, Northern, Walleye, and the occasional Muskie.
Isn't the presentation being used one of the major criteria that CO's use to determine if someone is fishing illegally this time of year?
Or am I just being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

"Hey, you've got a bite"

It's my understanding that it's completely at the discretion of the CO officer. If they believe you're fishing for a certain species that's out of season, they can give you a ticket. So yes, I would definitely refrain from using tackle that could make it look like you're fishing for the wrong species, even if you are in fact fishing for a species that's in season.

AWH

I just found this posted by someone on another forum. This puts a little different spin on it, and also sums up what a CO will look for. So here's what "smallie_hawgin" had to say...

"If you are doing a legitimate technique for carp/cats/redhorse and you start getting onto species you are not supposed to, it is up to you to change location, presentation, or technique. Any CO that sees you catching a species out of season will likely question your intent, its there job to do so. Thankfully we have some dedicated COs that are willing to watch. There are far too many folks that are willing to bend the rules."

This topic comes up like clockwork every spring. I'll say what I've said before.
Scrap the "seasons" altogether.
Buy a license Jan 1 good through Dec 31. Fish when you want.
I mean really....with the strict regs we have now, a month or two earlier is nothing.
And people who break the law are gonna do it anyways.
Why not make it easier for the CO's? Open season year round.

Dtro,

You must not be an avid fisherman. At least a fisherman that does not give a hoot what his 6 year old son will catch 10-15 years. The regulations are put in place for a very specific reason. SPAWNING!! It makes me angry every time I hear someone say they should open it up all year. I have fished all over the world, including Asia, Europe, and multiple lakes in the states. In fact, next Saturday I will be going for my 10-14 lb bass down at Lake Fork in Texas. Do you know how many fish make a good day at Lake Fork? Thats right. About 10 in approximately 12 hours. 1 fish per hour is an average. Why do you think this is. They have year round fishing and in early March, everyone goes for the big hawg. Not a good idea. You can not stress out a female that is about to lay its eggs. Because it won't lay them. Maybe you don't know this, but fish have to have babies to have more fish in the future. Think future, not moment. In a few weeks, to a month, nobody will care about this 3-4 week period that we had to wait to fish our species. Believe me, I would love to pull the lips of a 4-5lb bass right now, however, I would like the same potential now, for my kid in the future. I am sure you cannot disagree.........

I have pointed the Basspastor spotlight towards the clouds, and can now only stand here earnestly scanning the the posts awaiting that moment when the one of wisdom graces us with the wisdom of the pouchers. COME ON BP! SOUND OFF!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how long I can sit and wait! There are bass to be caught. The water is open! What's taking you?! Love, fishface, really!

I anxiously await BP.
Although, those dogfish sure are good when you put them in the crockpot. Mmmmmm.

I just may join that dogfish group that BP was touting. Especially since there is no closed season on doggies, and they love those spinnerbaits and plastics.

Trouble is those doggone bass constantly bother those guys out "Doggin".

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 04-03-2004).]

That would be a baby kangaroo.

FF5, is ya dumb or what????

It's amazing how many people I know and run into here and there who think it's perfectly okay to break the laws. It drives me insane! Keeping fish out of season, fishing for fish out of season, keeping fish out of the slot, fishing too many lines, using perch/crappie/sunnies as bait, and who hasn't heard of the fishing genious who is slaying the walleye, crappie, etc in the spring only to limit out, go home and dump them off and come back for a 2nd or 3rd limit! What a PIG! I have a rule that I adopted years ago. Nobody will fish illegally in any way as long as I'm with them. PERIOD! I make that clear at the 1st suggestion of any illegal activity. They know not to even call me if they want to break the fishing laws. If everyone did this and reported when they saw someone else doing it, maybe we could put a dent in the morons who want to rape all of our resources. Just my 2 cents worth.

I hear ya Uncle Dave! I, in no way, would even consider breaking the law, especially when it comes to enjoying the outdoors and catching fish. I can understand why there's no season on some fish but the fish that we all cherish and want to catch, leave them alone while they're spawning! I want to be able to return to that honey hole in 5, 10, 20 years and still have a honey hole... not a has been hole.

If you want to gripe and complain about the fishing regulations here in Minnesota then move to a state where they don't really care if you ruin the ecosystem of their lakes.

A couple people on here said they were recently out crappie fishing and were catching fish out of season (bass, etc) so they had to change what was on the end of the line so they wouldn't catch any more. I think they are a prime example of what a true fisherman/nature lover is like.

I asked a CO this very question at the Sports Show this spring.

His answer was that while their intent was illegal, proving it to a judge may be another task. Just how much the CO wants to hassle with getting his boat out there and ticketing them in light of other duties/violators.

Personally, I'd inspect their boat with a fine tooth comb and maybe you'll find life jacket or fire extinguisher violations. Maybe drugs? Something that will cost them a few bucks.

Next time take down the boat ID number. My guess is if they swear at you, they are not playing by the rules. Turn it into the CO and if a few other people complain, then the CO will know he has a problem. Also call the boat ID number into TIPS.

Fishface, did it ever occur to you that the reason Basspastor has not jumped in was that maybe he was out FISHING...

P.S.

Fishface, either we are going to have to check your finger dexterity or buy you a dictionary. A poucher ??? You need to get a good nights sleep I think. You work more nights than a vampire.

I think for everyones benefit Rick should invest in getting a spell checker for these posts. smile.gif

Might save a big problem in the future.

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 04-04-2004).]

I had an idea about this due to the fact that ive seen people fishing illegally but I didnt know what to due about it. What if the DNR made some people deputy CO or something like that. They could be voluntary so it wouldnt cost them anymore. Maybe im on the wrong track but I think it would be a good idea to have regular fisherman out there to help. I know you can call and report "pouchers" but by the time they can get around to it a lot of times it will be too late. Anyone else have any ideas.

What chew talkin' 'bout Willishawk?!?!?! You makein fun of my keyboard chalengedness? I am 1 digit short you know! You bain't very P.C.

Just to be more clear, I am NOT advocating out of season fishing whatsoever.
I am just using the words from one of our unfamous FM members who loves to fish those Dogfish cuz they are legal all year.
And did I mention those doggies just happen to love spinnerbaits and plastics from what he tells us?

What a crock.

That's right. Always report them if you know they are trying to get away with something. That's just an obvious clue to their lack of character and disregard for the law. What do you think are the chances that the only time they skirt the law is when fishing in April? More likely they are all around lowlife and also do drugs, drive drunk, steal unattended gear, cheat in contests, etc. A call to a CO for targeting out of season fish can lead to the arrest of a meth cooker. I always report, the TIP number is on the back of your license. Get a description, license plate numbers, etc. before you call. Carry a camera and take a discrete picture. That can help, too.

Oh, I done stepped in it now. :o

Fishface. My DEEPEST apologies. Seeing you catch fish after fish while my line was unoccupied, I forgot your "disability". Your digital shortage is an acceptable reason for you to spell words incorrectly. Please accept my most sincere apologies. You know me and political correctness, they just don't go together well.

You really should investigate "handicapped" parking on and off the water. You could get us a real sweeet parking spot next to the ramp.

That and with my numb foot (my disability), we should demand "handicapped fishing spots" on the lake. You know, right up next to the best spot on the spot. DNR puts up a handicapped only sign and we could just troll on in. Life would be grand.

Again, Sorry man. But I always wonder why people look at me and say numb skull and walk away when it is my foot that is numb. Lifes mysteries.