• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New lines, pros and cons

Lets start a discussion specifically about the new line choices available. I have not tried any of them yet, but I am thinking about it. I love to jig for walleyes, cast cranks, troll cranks and as a last resort use a lindy rig.
What have been your experiences? Durability, visibility, line twist problems, I want to know what everyone has axperienced before I spend the $.

It would take me too long to write, buthere is my 2 cents:

1) If what you are using works - stay with it.
2) If you want to experiment, then do!

I am a Trilene XT die hard thru and thru.... But, I have switched to PowerPro for jigging applications. I have found my hooksets and detection much better. More fish have been in the boat with Power Pro.
When I use a slip float rig, I go to Vanish. Maybe the fish really cannot see it? I like it.

For bass and pike, I tried Berkely's new Ironsilk. I love this line - tough as nails and ties great knots.....!

I have learned to experiment and it has paid of for me. 75% of my set ups however, still consist of good 'ol Trilene XT.

Good Luck.

for all my rods i've got fireline with a flouro leader, unless it's for panfish (XL only) or fishing slop (either XT only or fireline only.) this is a great question. i hate standing at the "wall of fishing lines" and figuring out what and how much i need this year. good luck . later.

goose

I was going to ask the same question. I have always used mono and this year thought I'd try something different on a few rods but geez, staring at that wall is like trying to find a new beer, they all get the job done, you just have to figure out if you like how they do it.

------------------
It still beats workin'

didn't like firline or braid at first but after i got familiar with it, i've been using it more and more. all my bait cast reals have braid lines. i still like 2-6# mono for sunfish and walleye. braids are thinner, kinck less, and are more durable (last all year) - i need to replace mono at least twice a year.

That "beer wall" metaphor cracked me up mnfishingguy smile.gif. Remember when there were only two choices(are you old enough?)Miller brands or Bud brands. I have to admit though, I love having the choices. I never would have discovered ales if not for microbrew(gimme a summit pale ale over most anything...unless it's steamin' outside).

I like the line choices, but agree it can be overwhelming at times. I have only ever fished mono. This year I am going to try one or two new styles of line and see how they work for my fishing needs. One will be Powerpro; the other.....? If I keep my fishing "experiments" in manageable bites I don't get too overwhelmed.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

For my guide fishing i use fireline on most of my rods. I've been using it for 5 years.
Never had any trouble with rods. I still use mono for slip float fishing, but jigging, rigging, and trolling i'll use the fireline.
This year i'm trying stern super braid for musky. 80# line for trolling the big fish.

Yea, I'm old enough to remember if you wanted coors you had to make a run to South Dakota or Montana! Back in the days when all you had for line choices was Berkley XL or XT and Stren. I also remember buying rods and reels at the hardware store. Boy, have times changed.

------------------
It still beats workin'

I've tried a couple different lines. I tell you what, I'm glad I had my braided line (the Fusion stuff) on when that bass pulled my top-water lure into the pads. As I reeled, my friends tiny aluminum boat got closer and closer to the pads, dragging the anchor along.

I've contemplated using IronSilk but what I reallyl want to try this year is the Cajun Red Line's. Anybody have experience with it? Does it live up to its claims?

I have a question. I just bought a spincasting combo for my wife to use when we head up to Vermillion this summer. I loaded it with 10lb. Fireline, and it doesnt come off the spool as freely as it should; I kept on getting resistence, and would never be able to cast with it frown.gif. I have to take the line off and return it now. So, is superline a bad idea for a spincaster? Or maybe it is just the Fireline that is giving me trouble. Does anyone recommend another brand for a spincaster? My idea was to use that spincasting rig for casting and trolling the other 99.99% of the time my wife wouldnt be using it, that is why I want 10lb. test on it.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Hey Calv.
I have been using fireline on my baitcatsers and open faced spincasters for about 5 years now and have not had a problem.Did you get the spool filled up far enough which is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch from the edge of the spool? Then the line should slide off very smoothly and easily. Hope that helps you
Tight lines all
Basswacker

I have the same question as Lost...

Has anyone used that Cajun Red Line yet?? My family has a cabin in the Brainerd area on a lake with extremely clear water. I'm just wondering if that stuff is all that it says it is? I'd like to give it a try. Any comments?

Haven't tried Cajun Red yet, but I am a big fan of IronSilk.
I think Dennis wil second this too, but Big caution is wet wet wet the knots, before tightening.

Basswacker,

Maybe I wasn't very clear about the type reel. Not the open-faced type or the level-wind type, but the user friendly, type with the button you push and the line comes out a hole at the top. That type. Yes, I loaded it to 1/8 th of an inch to the edge of the spool.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 03-31-2004).]

Thats a spincast, and I don't think there is anything you can do to make them cast anywhere near as nice as a spinning reel.

------------------
It still beats workin'

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm hoping that the line really makes a difference for me this year. I've gotta respool everything so I might as well get started with something that I've been wanting to try.

Sorry Calv.
I didn't know that was the type of reel you were refering to. I think I'll be trying the power pro this year on a couple of my rigs.
Tight lines all
Basswacker

Cajun Lightening is Great Line, the one down side is that is not the smallest diameter line in the world, but i think the color offsets that when it comes to visibility. I fish alot of bass tournaments and i have 75% of my rods converted to Cajun line. And for the money, it has to be the best value.

I usually order it from Cabela's.

------------------
Rather Be Fishing!!!
www.geocities.com/hellakill/gopherbass.htm

In the past, I was a Trilene XL or XT guy... but then I discovered Rapala line. The Tough is awesome for bass and pike, or any kind of fishing that requires something with some cut, rip, tear resistance. The casting is awesoome for open water, and I use it for most of my walleye action.
I'm alos trying Berkley Ironsilk this year. I've got it on 2 rods, and just going down to the river for a few casts, I think it'll be a new favorite as well. Tied knots beautifully, and casted like nothing I've tried before... I can't wait to see how it is on a hookset.

IMHO i love the Power pro, I've used fireline, I haven't used the new sten braded line, but power pro works so good I don't think I will try anything else for awhile, since it's spendy and last a long time.

CALVINIST,

Those reels don't like the fireline. I have one for my wife and daughter and tried the same kind of line, neither of them casted real well. Put on some limp Tri instead.

Fireline is my choice for lines. Except for my musky rods where I use multiple types of line. Other than that I use Fireline on all of my rods.

One of the guides mentioned that they don't use them with slip floats. If your having the same problem that I did (your slip knot won't stay in place long) I have a remedy. Get the rubber twist stops. They work great with fireline. They put a bit of twist in your line at first, but I have found nothing better.

Fishing_Fool

Hey guys,

I bought a pflueger presidential series baitcaster a while back and they threw in a mamoth sized spool of 20lb Cajun line....my first cast with it the entire spool exploded with a mess...and I mean exploded smile.gif Once I got my dial set it was okay. I think this Cajun stuff is good line, the diameter is way too big for me though. I'm probably going to end up taking the Cajun off and putting Power Pro on. I love the sensitivity of those superlines! Good Luck....

I was just looking at the Power Pro. What caught my eye was the diameter for the test. It's something that I'm definitely going to consider trying this year.

My girlfriend makes bead and semi-precious stone jewelry and uses fishing line. The Power Pro has just the right diameter and strength that she needs to make them so it won't break. Gonna get her a spool of it also.

I do have a question though. Are there any braided lines that don't fray on you when they rub against rocks or when you cut the end? I've got that problem with my Fireline Fusion.

There is a new Fireline XDS that is supposed to reduce the fraying and fuzziness of the old Fireline. It starts at 35 pound test though and goes to 100 pounds. And about twice the price of the regular Fireline in the same weight.

Actually the write-up in the Cabella's 2004 catalog says: It has a protective coating that does'nt peel....

Oh, thats for PP.

[This message has been edited by WhaTT! (edited 04-06-2004).]