Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Trailblazer

Tonka Crappie Contest

Trailblazer

Does anyone know when the contest takes place this year?

Mr Special

I believe it's on April 24th. But that can do to ice out condictions. Don't think that will be a problem this year.

Lost

Call your local outdoorsman store such as Gander Mountain. They can tell you and give you the number to call for more information.

hanson

Gander is the main sponsor. Picked up the brochure the other day when I was trying to see what they had left for ice fishing gear. I'm not certain on the date though.

Anybody out there fish this contest? I think it would be fun. I'm boatless so I'm just curious on shorefishing opportunities. I'm also a Minnetonka rookie. I kept telling myself I had to get out and icefish it this winter but that never happened. Too many trips up north!

schr0563

Every spring I see guys catch some nice crappies from the docks in St. Louis Bay. This would be a great place to start looking for some shore action. I have taken part in the contest the past several years, but my main purpose for attending is to try the boat out at least once before the walleye opener.

GreyGoose

I missed this event last year, so I want to make it out there this year. I have never fished in that tourney, but it sounds like fun. Are the launches as packed as people say they are or is it just the usual volume of action as say a weekend day in the summer? Last year I remember some people saying they where out there a 3am and the launches were already packed. I'm just going to stay away if that is the case, I'll go to another lake because eveyone will be on tonka! But it does sound like fun so let me know.
I may have an extra spot in the boat for someone, especially if you know some decent spots. It would be cool to meet some of you guys and lip a few crappies.

------------------
God Bless America
Please Practice Catch and Release

iFishMN.us

Yes it gets very packed, the main lake itself can handle the number of boats but the access will fill quickly and it can be difficult to launch and park. Also the "spots" are crammed full and it makes difficult to fish. Like I said the main lake is ok but if you try to get back into a prespawn shallow area it can become very crouded and you almost have to claim your spot and stay there or you loose it. Anyways ill be out there regardless, but I will be heading to my spot right away and claiming it.

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

schr0563

I have only done the contest a few times but in my experience, the amount of boat traffic does not even come close to the amount that is out there on a weekend in the summer time. The fishing spots can get crowded, but traveling on the lake is easy and I have never had to wait at a boat access. I usually arrive at 9-10 in the morning, maybe all the serious fishermen are off the lake by then.

wallyH

Only fished it one other time and don't recall it being too crowded. I know there were 2 other boats near us and we all just hung out and chatted most of the day. So even if it was crowded, everyone was very nice.

If you see a green Lund Pro Angler out there this year, that just might be me.

Wally H

Trailblazer

Went out last yr @ 3am. First access was full, 2nd access was half full. Main lake - no problem. Claiming spots was a poblem.
We fished 3 spots from 3:30am-2pm.

juggs

Just wanted to put in a plug for another crappie tournament on Clearwater Lake, May 8th. Run by BJ's Bait Shop on the lake. Great tournament--$60 entry for a two man team, $1000 for first place. Call the bait shop at 320-274-3730.