• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2nd Annual Fall Frenzy - Oct 3rd, 4th and 5th

Paul Waldowski

Sounds like me. Looks like the best time for me to go is during the week, and those are busy with a Sophomore who doesn't have a license and is involved in a ton of things.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rodmaker

• PerchJerker

• polarsusd81

• riverrat56

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Originally Posted By: dfv87
time to get out is a premium!

I hear ya. One of my kid's birthday is this weekend and the other kid is playing football. And my wife has a couple things going on this fall too. I was just looking at how much time I'd have to fish and hunt this fall and didn't come up with all that much ...... every year I tell myself that I'll have more time next year but it usually goes the other way grin

Well I had the same issue with football games. Found myself going out after the games were over. You know what? The walleyes were still there. wink

Getting closer guys!

What does everyone use for lights in the boat at night? Headlamps? Battery lanterns?

Headlamps along with the running lights of course. Looks more and more I won't be able to get up there for Sat.

You will want to make this an annual event for sure. I know I will be there next year for sure!!!!

Paul, I'll shoot you an e-mail in two weeks. Take Care!!

Getting closer guys!

What does everyone use for lights in the boat at night? Headlamps? Battery lanterns?

I like to go with as little light as possible in the boat at night. Having lots of light, especially bright light, makes it hard to see past the light and ruins your night vision. A battery lantern would be a very poor choice in my opinion because you'd be looking right at the light.

I used to use headlamps, now I pretty much just use LED lights that clip to the brim of my cap. I leave my light off the majority of the time, I mostly just use it for checking my line counter, changing baits, unhooking fish, etc. My favorite cap light has 1 red led and 4 white leds, the red one is usually perfect for most functions and won't ruin your night vision (or blind your buddy when he looks right at you). I usually use just the cap lights for netting fish too, although some people like a flashlight or spotlight for that.

You'll definately want to have some good flashlights or spotlights along for docking, spotting bouys, finding channel markers (depending on where you launch), etc.

Originally Posted By: riverrat56
Getting closer guys!

I like to go with as little light as possible in the boat at night. Having lots of light, especially bright light, makes it hard to see past the light and ruins your night vision. A battery lantern would be a very poor choice in my opinion because you'd be looking right at the light.

I used to use headlamps, now I pretty much just use LED lights that clip to the brim of my cap. I leave my light off the majority of the time, I mostly just use it for checking my line counter, changing baits, unhooking fish, etc. My favorite cap light has 1 red led and 4 white leds, the red one is usually perfect for most functions and won't ruin your night vision (or blind your buddy when he looks right at you). I usually use just the cap lights for netting fish too, although some people like a flashlight or spotlight for that.

You'll definately want to have some good flashlights or spotlights along for docking, spotting bouys, finding channel markers (depending on where you launch), etc.

Ditto to what Dave said to a tee. Even on dark nights your eyes adjust and you can see pretty well. Throw too much light around and you can't see a thing.

Good Luck to you all. I'll be thinking of you when I'm cruising around SW WI.

LED headlamp is really all a guy needs. I flip mine on to net fish and change lures, thats really about the only time it comes on. White stearn light on the boat actually lights the inside of the boat up quite a bit.

Here's a little tip that might benefit some of you. If your stern light is large and bright, put a small amount of electrical tape on it in the area that will stop the light from shining down and right into the boat. If you use only a small amount of tape your stern light will still be easily seen from any and all dirctions, but it will be much easier on your eyes when in the boat.

Of course, don't use so much tape that it prevents your stern light from being easily spotted by other boats.

Yeah guys, I am getting pretty pumped up. I am trying to round up a couple friends that might be in the area to head out there too. Can't wait to feel the wind and waves.

Just looked at the forecast. A little colder than last year, but it should be good.

Friday is sunny and the high is supposed to be 50, with winds from the north at 5 mph and the low temp of 31.

Saturday is sunny and we should have a high of 53, low of 39, and ESE winds at 4 mph.

Sunday they are calling for a few light showers and 54 for the high, 41 low, and winds from ESE at 9 mph.

These wind estimates seem a little low for early October up there, but we will see what they bring. Good fishing hopefully.

If the forecast is right as far as the wind goes, consider yourself lucky!!! They could be from the West 15-25!!!

Sure wish I was going to be there!!!

Wear a good pair of warm boots, a layer of fleece and something water/wind proof on top. A warm hat will help a lot as that is where you'll lose a lot of heat. Gloves are tricky. I wear either neoprene or wool. Another option is to use a hand muff with the chemical hand warmer around your waist with a light pair of gloves. When you're not hanging onto your rod they are warm and they don't catch hooks as bad as the wool gloves do.

Finally a thermos of hot coffee can help you feel warm as well.

Anyone have room for me Fri/Sat? Ill pay for gas and I have a few cranks/sticks to use. grin

I dont want to haul my boat down to fish alone. Thanks.

Suggestions for a rookie at fall night fishing in those temps??

Definately agree on warm comfortable boots, cold toes are no fun. I do a lot of standing and moving around in the boat, it makes it easier to see, easier to stay warm, easier to stay awake, so comfortable boots are a big plus.

For gloves I usually wear ragwool fingerless gloves, or insulated or uninsulated elk skin gloves. Hooks and ragwool do not play nice together, but I like fingerless gloves. I also keep a healthy supply of chemical handwarmers in my boat. I usually put them in my jacket pockets to keep my hands warm, and I know some people that like putting them in their shirt pockets to help keep their body warm.

I don't wear a stocking cap or bomber hat unless absolutely needed. I like a ball cap with a light that clips to the brim instead of a headlamp that straps to your head. I wear some very heavyweight hooded sweatshirts and pull the hood up over my cap. For me that's the best combination for warmth, comfort and light.

A neckwarmer, or a jacket with a high collar that zips up to your chin, can really keep you warm too just by keeping the wind off of you.

I try to go with the least bulky clothes possible that keep me warm enough. For me that's usually a heavy pair of uninsulated rain bibs - warm enough and keeps the wind off me, and comfortable enough to move around in and do lots of standing and sitting. I only wear insulated bibs if its really cold or windy.

I don't eat much in the boat at night, it makes me get sleepy. I bring a sandwich or a sub and try to lay off it until after midnight. It's like Gene Wilder says in Blazing Saddles - food makes me sick!

Thanks...these are some great suggestions!

Guess I need to dig under the summer clothes!

Warm boots are definitely key as mentioned! Most people overlook their feet at this time of year but Gore-Tex guidewear, gloves, and hats won't keep you warm any length of time if you are wearing Nikes and cotton socks.

I'll be up Friday night just in time to eat. smile See ya'll there! Hopefully the walleyes start moving up, could be a very interesting weekend!

Anyone have room for me Fri/Sat?

Northlander, it's just me and a buddy, your welcome to hop in with us. We should be up a little after 4pm.

lab @ physics.umn.edu if you have questions

Paul mentioned that there should be open seats...should I be waiting until I get up there on Fri.? or asking here?

If you can find an open seat ahead of time that would be safest, but last year Paul was Mr. Organized and was taking care of everyone so as long as he knows you need a spot I'd think you'll be fine.

Patti or Northlander, I emailed Paul to tell him I would be up on Friday night only. I will have room for a couple of people. If you want to fish let me know.

I'm headed up this afternoon to get a head start and do some muskie fishing tomorrow.

Here's my ride, so you can put a name with a rig and stop by and introduce yourself!

Chris

100_0026_0020.jpg

I like the name with the rig idea. I'll be leaving work at noon and hopefully getting up there by three. Heres my rig. I haven't met alot of those that are going, it will be nice to put a name to the face to the rig.

IMG_0751.jpg

Pat - thanks for the offer. I think I'll take you up on it. And yes - I can fish - now, catching remains to be seen... grin