Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
superiorfishguy

Speed at the ball

superiorfishguy

Can anyone really tell that having one of these things really helps you catch more fish?? Wondering about getting one, but I like to know if worth it?? Thanks

Northlander

I can see where it could be a useful tool but I think they are to pricey and I have talked to many guys who cant get them working right all the time. If they worked all the time I could see you catching more fish.

tunrevir

These are really nice but you really want something with the speed and temp at the ball. I assume that is what you were talking about. On the great lakes, it can really help to know what speed your lures are trolling along at versus what the groundspeed reading is in the boat off the GPS. There are times when the boat speed is almost twice what the speed is at the ball due to currents. The temp feature is really nice to know for thermoclines and for the preferred temps that the fish you are after like to hang in. Of course, good electronics can also show a nice thermocline but when you start fishing the deeper water you may not get an accurate reading of the thermocline off the electronics. There are a few different brands out there and each one has its ups and downs so do your homework prior to buying. A useful tool. Not necessary, but can make the difference on the water some days IMHO.

Tunrevir~

kkahmann

I have a friend of mine who has one--his boat is much nicer than mine so I fish with him lots. He's got about thousand bucks tied up in his so he watches it like a darn soap opera. I would like to know why the speed at the ball is always half a mile to a mile an hour slower? At the end of the day you would think the ball should be about 4 miles astern. Another thing I have seen this guy do--change the ball depths--even though we were catching fish--the temp was wrong. How the [PoorWordUsage] can the temp be wrong if you're catching fish? The only thing I have seen him do with it is to call a pop-off before I saw the rod bounce--it seems the ball speed stops just before a pop-off. It is kinda interesting to know the temps at different depths and on Lake Superior that can change by the minute but sometimes I think we make too much of all this new tecknology.

I caught my first fish on cane pole--don't know if I could do that anymore.