Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
MN XFiSh

Marion Lake Walleyes (Lakeville)

MN XFiSh

I've decided to fish my backyard fishing hole (Save on Gas $$$) in Lakeville for the past two/three weeks and have had very difficult times fishing for walleyes. Time of year with the high water temps makes it difficult, but I would like to figure it out when the temps being to drop.

I've concentrated my efforts off of the deeper point just southeast from the main landing. Nice drop-off from 4 FOW to 18 FOW. Mark many fish that look to be walleye. Have not been able to get them to bite.

I've tried a number of presentations in the evening (7:00 - 10:00): raps at various depths, lindy rign' w/ worm/leech/minnow/gulp, carolina rign', etc. Have not used floats on the lake as of yet - probably my next strategy.

DNR reports look good for the lake - good numbers with nice size. Even with the numbers - I'm thinking I might be wasting my time on this lake. I've never had good luck, but like most fisherman I keep going back for the challenge to break the streak.

Has anyone had success on this lake in late summer/fall??? If not, any lakes you would suggest this fall??? Thanks for the help.

basseye

hi xfish,

I have been fishing the snot out of this lake for 2 years now, and it is a waste of time. It should be a great bass lake but my fish in the boat\time spent on the water fishing all species is pathetic at best. I also live in Farmington/Lakeville and the convienece is great, but the fishing sucks! I have moved lakes in the last month and a half and catching a lot of fish.

Good luck,

Basseye

fisherman-andy

Wait for the water temps too cool off a bit. Then start hitting the drop offs and sand bar during sun down. Casting repalas, jigs, minnow tipped, leeches etc. If that dont work, scour the whole lake quickly by casting to try to locate them.

Even so I have never caught any number of abundance of eyes in Marion at one given time. Your lucky to be able to even land a couple fish. Regardless of the efforts or reports I dont know of a single person who has done well on eyes in Marion.

Fishinguy40

I have to agree with Basseye. I have not been on Marion at all this year but fished it quite heavily the last two years because of it's convenient location to where I live and, like MNXfish, was impressed by the DNR reports. But it seems catching fish out there is futile at best.

PerchJerker

Lived in that area over 5 years ago and fished Marion quite a bit. I agree with the others, for me it was kind of a 1 fish here, 1 fish there lake --- nothing very steady or consistent at all.

In metro lakes the walleyes tend to be weed oriented. Try the weedlines.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

If you want walleyes, fish a walleye lake; a walleye lake, Marion ain't.

MN XFiSh

What is a decent walleye lake then? Thanks for the replies.

mnrstrider

Well I hate to sound like a broken record, but I agree with everything everyone else has posted, I have caught a couple here and there Don't think I've ever got 2 in a day, I actually had the best luck draggin Ringworms around the lake on a jig. I've spend a lot of time looking fo rthem with little to no results. I've heard rumors of them being caught on cranks on the weededges from bass fishermen. I come to see fish on the sonar as two things, after spending hours running around the lake with the camera. 1. Weeds and 2. Massive carp . I have yet to see a walleye on camera, and that's a first for any lake I've ever used the camera on... If you want bass and maybe an occasional pike, marion is a decent choice.

I Myself I think Proir and Spring are much better choices.

Flaco651

The best I've done on Marion has been 2 'eyes an outing. Once in the boat and once thru the ice. Not really any size to them either.

PerchJerker

There are some lakes in the Faribault area you might want to check out, and not too long of a drive. Cannon is one lake that always seemed to put ot a few walleyes for us.

chillincarp870

personally i have never fished the lake but if you are marking fish they are going to bite sometime. if it is local fish the heck out of it and you will produce. just like any other lake. right place at the right time.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

What is a decent walleye lake then? Thanks for the replies.

Good question for the walleye forum. Many wish that they could find good 'eyes around town, but it's mostly a dream. Best, closest water might be the Croix. I wouldn't bother with the Mississippi unless you don't want to eat them.