• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bear baits/ any hits

glenn57

heres my report. my son and i set up 8 stations this past weekend. none were hit. frown antone else have better results?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maros91

• glenn57

• superbee

• Boar

Top Posters In This Topic

So they have been out for a week with no hits? What are you using? That seems a little odd with 8 baits and none being hit. I had a couple that took a bit to get hit, they started out slow and are getting better as time goes by. We have a ton of berries in our area still, but they are starting to dry up and that will help alot.

we could only, legally, start baiting on friday aug 15. 6 of the 8 were set on fri the other 2 on sat. it was warm this past weekend, that could of had something to do with it also. only seen 1 other person baiting and i am sure its the guide that noone cares for. will be back up to check sat agian. i have faith we will see activity. we are using cheap dog food, bread products grease and molasses. what do you use superbee?

I use a sweet feed for horses that has a rich molasses concentration and pour lots of used cooking oil on the ground all around the bait. The stuff you are using is good as I have used it all before. The warmer weather definately isn't helping anyone out right now. A few days isn't nothing to worry about, they will get going soon I am sure. I am starting to see our berries drying up and you should start seeing the same, that will be big benefit for more activity soon.Keep us posted on your luck.

We are running 8 baits and 5 are getting hit right now. The forecast looks good, things are starting to cool down in my neck of the woods.

We use sweet feed also, with grease, I am going to pick up 30 gallons of molasses tomorrow and that should really kick them into gear.

My dad and uncle set up 6 baits, 2 hit 1st night, the rest were hit by monday. Glenn if things do not get better, let me know and I can just give you a box of sweets, and may be able to help you get some grease.

Going up this weekend to check the baits. My buddy put out 4 this past weekend and I am hoping to see some signs. Last year was a complete disaster with none of the baits being hit. I sure hope this year is better than last year. I am almost thinking of not buying a license if there are no hits.

Take care.

Are you in Minnesota? I checked tonight an got 80 pictures of wind an coons, my first year with a camera an it great to know whats been stealing the bait, gonnaa hafta plug up some holes I see. My son's WII System works awsome for veiwing the sd card just hit slide show an it just plays continous through pictutes till it's done an even fades in an out of pictures, really cool. kinda discouraging to find just coons but, it's early an to dang hot. Boar

Hallejojo

I hope you have better luck this year- Where do you hunt? I hope your buddy bought a license as you need it to bait this year-

Put out two baits and nothing yet.

There is one [PoorWordUsage] of a lot of food out there for them this year. Where I bait there is a ton of blueberries, raspberries, and Hazlenuts so I think when those berries dry up I should be okay.

We had that happen a few years ago,, too much fresh food around, We never hunted until Oct. the baits were starting to get hit and by about the 5th oct. we could not keep bait in them.we Shot 2 bears and still baited for a week. we sat in the stand one night and counted 13 different bears and most came in at the same time!

Yes he has gotten his license. He lives up that way so he will be hunting regardless. I hunt in the no quota area up by Sandstone. Last year there were way too many acorns on the ground. I am also stuck on hunting this year because I have a little one due around opener. Where do you hunt fish to win?

Helle-

I hunted in Finland last year and was able to harvest a smaller Boar- I will be just south of mille lacs this year and will check the bait this saturday. Good Luck---

glenn,

Sounds like you have the right bait, keep after 'em. It's been real hot up here and like someone else said, tons of food in the woods. I also heard it looks like a good acorn crop this year so that won't help either. Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but sooner or later they should start hitting the baits. I haven't heard of any of my co-workers or local CO seeing any bears either. This cold front should get them moving though.

Brian

thanks bmc, we will be going threw dr tonite again to check baits. im almost more curious about how many more hunters are going to be around than if my baits got hit.

brownie77, thanks for the offer, i may take you up on that. i think we have plenty of grease. i will let you know next weekend.

My buddy and I have 4 baits out and 2 have gotten hit. The one I had the question about where there is no logs and only brush has been cleaned out but all the brush is still on top. My guess is coons all the way. But at least we have 2 of 4 getting hit. Re-baited today and will check Monday. Hope they keep coming.

Our baits have been getting hit until just the other night when this front come in. No activity yesterday or last night to speak of except 1 small cinnamon bear for the 2 baits that I checked the cameras at this morning. These 2 baits I have seen 6 bears at the one site and 3 at the other.

Hot weather and woods choked with berries will make this a tough year to fill tags. We need some of these challenging years to keep the population up.

Went back out today and checked cameras and baits. Everything has returned to being hit. The weather returned to the warmer temps and bears are moving again. I really haven't ever had an issue getting the bears to come in hot or not. The biggest problem for me with the heat is that my hunters are uncomfortable and the bugs are worse.

Here are some photos from one of my other bait sites. Two good bears are hitting it and seem to be sharing for the time being.

bearcam42008024.jpg

bearcam42008005.jpg

bearcam42008033.jpg

bearcam42008045.jpg

fish to win, i see your not up with dick again this year. what di you think of him how was his guiding? are you doin it yourself this year? i am back up in finland and there is alot of food in the woods this year. i was goin back to my bait and tons of berrys around. i did see lots of bear scat on the trail goin back into my bait. i didnt make it up this weekend i am hoping to see some good pics from the cam when my uncle gets back in from baiting i set a cam out this year. good luck

iceman

I've found that a Large adult black will wait until your trail (in to tend a bait station,) is at least 4 to 5 hrs old. Add this issue to the fact that he'll circle completely the area before coming in. ----It's tough to get someone to sit quietly for that long when the weather is warm and bugs are in full survival mode----if you get my meaning------I Always bait at mid day --seems to be the only way to get the big ones in before dark---comments?

i also bait around 11 or 12 and then sneak into my stand around 3-3:30. have seen alot more bears come in right around dark that way then if i baited right when i went in to hunt. we bait all our baits at that time and then send the hunters out with a 5 gallon bucket to freshin up the bait if it was hit between the time we baited and they went in.

iceman

Early afternoon to mid day is the best time to bait. The mature bears tend to circle the bait before they come in. It is best to try and set your stand as far away as possible if gun hunting, hard to do if bow hunting. A thermocell is a very big necessity in the bear hunters arsenol with the bugs in the warmer temps.

How much bait do use if you need to take a 5 gal bucket in to freshen it up if was baited only a few hours earlier? Wouldn't it be best to have the hunter get in the stand with out disturbing the bait.

i have always thought that too but we have had the best luck this way we have done it both ways. we always look to see how long the bears are taking to come in after we bait in the morning by looking at our trail cams. we use about two 5 gallon buckets full of food when the season is open in the morning and then when we drop them off send them in with a bucket with a couple pounds of dog food soaked in grease. and then after i hear the hunter hitting the bucket on the trees i wait about 2 minutes start the truck up and drive off, or ill go in with them and get them set and bait myself depends on the hunter.

iceman

I checked all my baits on Saturday. I went 3 for 7. It's about as poor as I've ever done. On the up side I've got two nice size bears hitting regularly during the daylight. Hopefully they keep at it and few more turn on.

If the system is working, then stick wit it. Everybody has different ideas and some bears are different than most.

I heard a baiting trick this weekend - I do not know if it works or not.

Take corn cobs that are bare. Create a mixture of powdered sugar, molasses and water. Let the cobs soak in the mixture and place on the ground. I guess the bear will stick around to lick the mixture without eating the cobs.

Ideas?