Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
der vasservolf

Aug 9-16 West End report

der vasservolf

Another fun family vacation on the Big V West End at White Eagle resort (year six I think). As always, I had ambitions of catching my first big Vermilion musky, and as always, it didn't happen. A few days were bluebird sky days, but two days were perfect cloud/mist days. On a family vacation, I can't fish for musky 18 hours a day, and on the hours I was on the water, it just wasn't happening for me. Tried weeds, points, islands, reefs and humps. Enough about musky....

Caught a good number of larger pike this year. I got a 32", 33", and 42", my wife went out with me only once and boated a 35", and my brother-in-law boated a 35.5". I would say the slot for pike is definitely working. A picture of my 42" and my wifes 35" pike attached.

I was able to get as many largemouth and smallmouth as I wanted on Senko's (let them all go; attaching a picture of my 4 yr old son battling a largemouth), and could limit out on pike anytime I wanted. Tried for walleye a couple times, caught one on a shad rap trolling but that's it. Bluegill are easy to catch in any weedy bay, just need to go through a few small ones for each keeper you get.

That's about it. Fishing was good this year, and the water temps have stayed in the low 70's. Weeds were in good condition for this time of year. Loons and bald eagles all over the place, what a beautiful lake.

Did I mention that I hate muskies?

photobucket photobucket photobucket

der vasservolf

Let me try this picture thing again.....

100_0630.jpg100_0625.jpg100_0621.jpg

delcecchi

If you had fished rocky humps you wouldn't have had to sort the bluegills. (not sure whether that should get :-) or :-( since I am usually fishing walleye at the time).

Were the pike in the slop? Or on rocks? Cabbage?

porterhouse

Nice pictures!!!!! Yeah those Pike are getting big. I will be up there next week chasing muskies. Thanks for the report!!!!

Brian

der vasservolf

Del,

good point on the gills. It was more about my son having fun catching fish, but the little bluegill are annoying and if it wasn't too windy it would have been better to get out the weeds.

Caught most of the pike with bass spinnerbaits over cabbage along and just past the weed line (including the 42" pike), and also back into the weeds with 4-5 foot depths (most of the 22-23" pike), in various weedy bays....but not into complete shallow weedy slop.

One 33" was caught off a rocky point casting a Shallow Invader for musky, and my wife's 35" was caught on a jointed Bucher depthraider trolling some 15-17 foot flats where people walleye fish (again trying to catch a musky).

By the way, my wife has never touched a slimy pike, much less held one. Proud of her for picking that beast up, and we hadn't even started popping open the beer yet!

muskyfishin

HEY der vasservolf,

We are staying on the west end also at spring bay resort. We have never been there before. Are there any particular bays that are better than others? Are there alot of weeds? We don't know the lake besides reading our hotspots map and are just trying to eliminate water. Congratulations on the great week you had.

Also Brian where are you staying at. My wife and I and another couple will be there the week of August 23-30 looking for some good pike and musky? Maybe we will see you there.

tednugefan

nice pike. i wish i could get into some hogs like that

der vasservolf

muskyfishin,

thanks. The musky spots suggested to you in your other thread are also good pike spots - those weedy bays, as well as others in that vicinity, using bass spinnerbaits will work for pike. Good luck, and please post a report when you're back. Also, enjoy ice cream at Moosebirds and a food/beer at The Landing while you're there, both are a short walking distance from Spring Bay.

muskyfishin

Thanks everyone for the info and we will definitely try the ice cream

SledNeck

Is that a Lund Rebel?

der vasservolf

not sure - it's a rental from White Eagle resort, 40 HP

porterhouse

HEY der vasservolf,

We are staying on the west end also at spring bay resort. We have never been there before. Are there any particular bays that are better than others? Are there alot of weeds? We don't know the lake besides reading our hotspots map and are just trying to eliminate water. Congratulations on the great week you had.

Also Brian where are you staying at. My wife and I and another couple will be there the week of August 23-30 looking for some good pike and musky? Maybe we will see you there.

I will be staying at Voyageur Cove resort in the narrows. Can't wait!!! Looks like we have a cold front coming through on Saturday up there. I was at Spring Bay resort last month and had a good time. Very nice people. I will be back there next year for sure.

Brian

Wookiee

The look of determination on your son's face is awesome. Thanks for the great pics and report. Nice gators also. That 42 is sweet.