• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing for flathead

Hey i got a Q. can i find flathead & cat down in winona? i'm going to be fishing from land? i naver fish that way, i stay up on the Mn river or down by the u of m & i will not have a boat too! :*(

thanks noel

I would have to say yes you can and even though i dont fish for them i will give you some idea where you may be able to find some.When i was young we use to fish them right above wittman dam with all sorts of different baits with chicken live being one of the best but not to say any stink bait on the market wont work.We also use to get them down by the homer trusle just south of Winona a couple miles.Another spot would be over the wagon bridge off of the little beach just below it.Hope this gives you some sort of a idea and all these spots can be gotten to on foot.Good luck hope this helps and post how you do if you go. Sorry that should read chicken liver.

I have heard of guys fishing off the levee catching cats. Might be something to try. The dam might be your best be though.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

I just might be able to fish this saturday night by redwing and think I will try for some cats. we are going to be working in hastings on saturday and Me thinks that I,m pulling the boat down. hope to see ya.

• 2 weeks later...

i got my only flathead by accident near weaver bottoms, from the shore. i was finishing up a day of trout fishing and made a few casts with my spinner on an ultra light. 2-3 pound flathead on an ultralight was fun.