• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi all,

I am heading to Cass for the first time on Saturday and staying for a week at the Wishbone. I have Brian scheduled for Sunday for a day of fishing so I am sure he will help with the techniques/spots to use.

My question is what bait shop does everyone use? I have never fished in this area before.

Thanks!

FishingPops

Pops,

Froggies in downtown Cass Lake is all you will need. Tell them that you are going out with Brian and they will take good care of you. Brian likes Froggie. Say hey to Bill, Lois, Ronnie and Linda for me at Wishbone. Tell them Windy and his family all got home safe. We were in Cabin 18 from July 19th thru Aug 2nd. Other family members were in 19 and 6, we have a big group that has been going up to Wishbone for 21 years now. You may not know it but you have booked the finest resort on Cass Lake, hands down, they will take great care of you. The dock crew is top notch. What cabin are you staying in?

You made a great selection with Brian, he will show you how to fish Cass and he will show you where to fish. Being as this is your first time be sure to bring your GPS if you have one and Brian will let you mark some of his spots that are generally known in the fishing world. He may take you to a honey hole that he has found that is not on the map and will not let you mark that but he will insure you have an enjoyable trip and that you will have a fighting chance of catching fish the rest of the week. Cass can be one tough lake if you don't know where you are going.

Say hey to Brian, I used him 5 days on this years trip and have used him every year he has been in business. I have quite a few frequent flyer miles earned with Brian!

Boy do I wish I was up there with you! Like I have said before, "It's not just the fish that get hooked on Cass Lake".

Windy

Pops,

Froggies is an excellent baitshop. Great people and will give you good fishing reports if you need them and maybe even some tips. If you need a wider selection of tackle especially muskie tackle you need to hit blue water bait in bemidji. Their new store is incredible and they have a huge selection of tackle and any thing eles you may need for the outdoors. Tabers bait is another bait shop in bemidji that is very good place to visit and tell fish stories excellent bait selection I will add. As far as wishbone being hands down the finest I would have to disagree there is many great resorts on Cass. I give the greatest resort award to the Horseshoe!

Deepwater,

I will agree with you on the Blue Water recommendation, Gander Mountain too, in Bemidji. As far as the resort, I will stand pat with my vote for Wishbone. I think Clark has come leaps and bounds in the past few years that he has owned the place, much better than the old Hooks but he still has a ways to go to match Wishbone. They have replaced almost all of their cabins and the new ones are really nice, combine that with the pool, the bar and the dock boys and I would have to put Wishbone ahead of Horseshoe. I have sent quite a few family members over to Clark when Wishbone has been full while we are there and he always takes great care of them but I will stay with my opinion.

Windy

How's this sound Windy?

I root first for BirchVilla....and second to whereever Windy isn't staying.

Nyuk, nyuk.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I will be driving right past Froggies on the way to Wishbone. What type of bait is working and how much would I need for a week? I will fish alot during the week and hope to have the kids/wife along some time but there will be lots of time fishing by myself. I have never chased walleyes/perch for a week straight and can't wait!

Fatheads are working really good for perch on a jig. As for walleyes they have been very tough lately. Late evenings into the night running any kind of shallow diving rap works good and during the day running a leech on a rig or a redtail or creek chub will entice walleyes to bite. good luck pops hope you nail um.

Thanks for the info.

We are staying in Cabin #4. Anybody ever fish on Lost Lake?

FishingPops,

Lost is great for bass and pannies and you can get into some bigger fish as well. I think Clark has a deal where he rents you a boat and a small motor for about $30 a day. Give it a try if you like, we usually stay on the big lake chasing the walleye. You are staying in one of the last remaining older cabins but I am sure you will have a great time and Bill, Lois, Ronnie and Linda will take good care of you. Have fun and let us know how you did, give us a full report!

[Please read forum policy brefore posting again. Admin]

Windy

[Please read forum policy brefore posting again. Admin]

FishingPops,

I'll be headed to Wishbone on Saturday too. We'll be right next to you in Cabin 3. I can't help you too much with the eyes, as we'll be chasing muskies all week, but I do know the lake pretty well. Stop and say hey.

Lost Lake is a very fun lake to fish. You'll catch a bunch of dinks, but keep fishing.....there are some very, very nice fish in there. We've caght some dandy pike and bass out of there. It's a great lake to bring the kids to.

See ya soon!

Bob,

You lucky dog! You get to go back twice in one year. I hope you fill your camera with great pics of the big girls you land and I hope your arms are worn out on your drive home from hauling in fatties. Good luck, let us know how you do and say hey to Bill, Lois, Ronnie and Linda.

Thanks again for taking me out to chase the big uns! I had fun.

Windy

Oh-so-touchy we can be, huh? It is so difficult to read intent or emotion into a post or an email or even a handwritten note that I never try. Benefit of the doubt is how I try to always react first.

As to Windy giving his opinion of a guide or resort or anything like even the WSox, he has done so for years in a friendly, and many times jokingly, way so I hope he doesn't get scared off the site now....as if!

PS Windy, sometimes I also react like it could just be somebody gettin' up on the wrong side of the bed....but 2 days in a row?????

Hey Geno,

I can be like Rodney King..."Can't we all just get along"! Come on Geno, lead us all in a round of Kumbayah and we will all feel better. I'll admit when I am stirring the pot, you know that, but this one came out of left field and I bristled up. I can stand down if my opponent agrees, moving to DEFCON 1 LOL

Windy

Opponent seems rather harsh.....how 'bout adversary? LOL.

PS TO RODNEY: To get along, we go along.

or in the immortal words from some chef many moons ago-if you can't stand the heat, stay outta the kitchen.

To Windy I have been reading this site for quite a few years now so that hardly makes me a freshmen. Just cause I dont post doesnt make me not active to this forum. I never claimed to be a expert of Cass however I have been fishing the lake for over 40yrs and living on the lake for over 20yrs. So I might know a little more then some one who is only here fishing for a week or two. As for Josh at the horseshoe I went and apologized to him today for getting his name out there I think you should do the same. He is a nice young man he grew up in Minnesota and has been fishing the lakes for many years and knows his stuff. Not just salmon. The only reason I started posting was I was sick of one guy rattling on about his favorite guide his favorite resort and just want to get another opinion out there. I thought that was what this site was for.

Hi Bob,

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday-my name is also Bob. I am a newbie to Cass (and to walleye fishing) any info will be greatly appreciated. I will help you out too if I can but it sounds like you are way ahead of me smile

Deepwater, the perch bite sounds good. If you would care to share any info either here or else my personal email is waconiabobber at yahoo.com. I have only fished for perch one time and we used wax worms under bobbers. What size jigs do you use and what types of water do you look for?

Only a little over 2 days until I am there!!!!

Geno,

I may have to move down to DEFCON 2, it looks like the waters are still a bit hostile! LOL

Mr. Water,

I don't owe anybody an apology. I never said one bad word about him, period. I just said that when you combine Wishbones new cabins, their pool (Horseshoe does not have a pool), the bar and the dock boys that I choose Wishbone. I never compared the two resorts dock boy skills. I guess we could have a competition and see who can get me my nightcrawlers faster and hook up my boat quicker but I would rather just leave things where they are. I will admit when I am wrong but it ain't this time my Cass Lake compadre!

Windy

Pops

The places produceing the best perch are rocks. Any rock areas are the best fishing right now you might even get a few walleyes swimming around these areas. Steep breaks with weeds are also producing quite well. As far as jigs go 3/8 seem to be working good. They drop down faster and you can keep away from the little perch a little better. Orange seems to be a good color right now also.Good luck

Deepwater

Windy.

Josh doesnt want to be the best and doesnt claim to be the best he took some offense to the comment about the Salmon fishing. Just to let you know.

Maybe we can agree to disagree

Choppier than a windy day on Cass for sure.

Now, if this turns into 3 straight days of getting up on the wrong side of the bed I think it should be settled by a battle of wits. That is only if none of the adversaries in the battle are unarmed though. Nyuk, nyuk.

Thanks for the info Deepwater! Not to sound like a total rookie, but how does one find the rocks? Do they show up on lake maps or the DNR lake map?

Duh,

What did you say Geno? LOL

Deep,

I didn't bring the salmon thing into play, you did. We can agree to disagree and with that I will end this brief but interesting battle of wits, or nitwits, if you ask Geno

Windy

Pops

Yes some of the rocks are on the maps. That is the easiest way to locate some.

Windy

I never mentioned the word Salmon until you did. And you kind of mocked him by saying the salmon run was going to be good and hope he had some time. He guides for walleye and muskie. And he doesnt need you mocking him. But if you arent man enough to admit you were wrong so be it.

Deep,

The salmon was an attempt at humor after you had recited his resume of being in Alaska for a year running a charter. Salmon - Alaska - see the connection? We have fun on this site, at least we did until a few days ago.

Windy

I can understand the misgivings someone could have with humor....sometimes I don't see the humor in MY humor. Nyuk, nyuk.

Case closed --- over and out --- arriverderci (sp?)

Hasta La Bye Bye!

In my book, at least.

Windy

Yeah Windy. Just remember--the next time we want your opinion we will give it to you! LOL