• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Detroit Lake Fishing Reports

Bite has been ok. Walleyes in the 18-21 foot areas on the break. Low light periods are always the best on Big D. Crappies and sunfish are always biting around the Longbridge area!!!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianLucky13

• eyestogills

• fisherdog19

• bigbass01

Ok, It is getting closer--Anyone with some time want to show a newbie to the Big D some spots to fish for the week of 6-13?

I am willing to fish in your boat or mine. I got the bait and any refreshers we need afterwards.

FIsherdog i hear is the best around. But I am up to anything.

Would love to get out on 14th for sure to start the week off right. Day or night, I am on vacation.

I would love to know the eye general locations. And any other species would be gravy. And dont worry, not going to give out your spots and I am only there a week.

Thanks--E2G

I'm fishing the Eagles tournament on the 13th so I can't take you on the 14th. I will be doing some pre-fishing during the week if you care to tag along, for sure on Friday and probably one other day that week but it will be in the middle of the day as the tournament is done at 4pm.

FIsherdog-I wont be up in DL until Sat the 13th afternoon. I think your saying you will be Pre-fishing prior to that. If there is a time 13-20th you think you will be going out let me know.

if on the water does not work, maybe I can pick your brain after the tourny and go it alone.

anyone else open to June 14-15 fishing let me know, day or night

I know there is a tourny this weekend, ( thanks fisherdog)

But if anyone is up for some fishing Sunday and or Monday that knows the lake (14th, 15th) or anytime really during the week let me know. I am up for a week on the lake and would love to find a few fish, especially when I am out with my girls.

So I have the bass boat or pontoon up there with me, or we can jump your boat. Post here and or I can email you.

Thanks in advance ==best of luck to all who are fishing the tourney.

Fisherdog--Still would like to pick your brain maybe after the days over the next am.

Shoot me an email with your number and we can talk after the tournament.

• 5 weeks later...

Last night I decided to try the landing by the once again Hoilday Inn on the north side. I didn't like it. The back up ramp has a curve to it making it hard to see where you are going. The dock is about 10 feet from the concrete ramp, that makes it a challenge when you are alone. There are no tie downs on the dock to tie the boat up to. It is fairly shallow. There is no parking close by. You are suppose to park down by the overlook about 250 yards away. I saw a few guys park in the Hoilday Inn parking lot but I didn't want to get towed so we hiked. I won't be going there again. On the bright side my 4 year old son and I caught a bunch of panfish and 5 good eater eyes. Pretty solid 2 hours of fishing.

yeah---it would have been nice if they had put the same amt of money into the access as they did into the viewing platform down from the access a bit eek

Yeah not alot of thaught into the making of that access. No wonder you almost never see anyone use it.

I love it!!! Know one goes there so its always easy to get in and out quick!!!

But I live a block from it!! C'mon at least there isnt pot holes everywhere like the south one.

But I live a block from it!! C'mon at least there isnt pot holes everywhere like the south one.

Yeah I agree with you there Brian. No pot holes and if you live that close to it its no doubt a good deal for you.

I am guessing on weekends when the lot is busy the hotel doesnt want people parking there.

But is it safe to park at the hotel during the week or do they sometimes tow vehicles even during the week?

Everybody is kind of wondering about that. I havent heard anything as of yet. We have parked there a lot and havent had any problems.

Tough place for an access. After fireworks on the 4th we drove the frontage road on the way home. Traffic was stopped 10 deep in the Westbound lane with a trailer waiting to enter the access roundabout. Traffic in the Eastbound lane stopped just behind us as 2 more rigs came out of the Holiday Inn lot to enter the access roundabout. What a mess. If tourism is such a draw why doesn't the city invest a decent, large access that can accommodate all the boaters.

On a side note, this morning on the way to work I saw a truck with a Ranger trailer parked at the South access with the truck's bumper nearly up against the fence on the West side. No one could loop around. Must have been his first trip to the access. I wasn't glad to be going to work, but was certainly glad to not be using that access this morning. I bet people were ticked off.

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I thought I would leave a fishing report about my outing this past weekend on Saturday (9-12-09). So, me and buddy left Fargo at about 2:00 PM to go to Sallie - we got onto Sallie by about 3:15 PM and tried bottom bouncers on a couple spots I like to fish out there. We tried for about 3 hours and couldn't keep the perch off of lines. We did roll up by 2 boats that we millin around in this 8 - 10 ft area just circlin each other and a marker and just not doin a thing (I think they were trying for crappies - BTW, that was us in the old school red and silver ranger whoever you were - we had to check it out because we figured you guys were millin around there for way too lng. Turns out it was just a bunch of millin around and that was it).

So at about 5:30 we decided to high tail it to Big DL to a spot I have been workin on for a while now. We got to Big DL and on our spot by about 6:15 PM and man was it worth it! My buddy and I were using 1 ½ ounce bottom bouncers with hammered gold spinners and nightcrawlers – we were moving about 1.2 mph. The spot I like is right off of the Holiday Inn Boat launch on a bar that juts out (about halfway in between the far shore and the Holiday Inn). My buddy and I mustered 5 eyes (2 were 16 inchers) and probably lost about 5 more and we also tossed in one yellow crappie. We also saw a guy catch an 18 inch eye right by us – he said he had fished the same spot earlier in the day and caught 8 walleyes but they all were 10 inches. So from 6:15 – sundown was the ticket for us!

One last thing that was amazing was my buddy had about a 13 inch walleye on and it got hit by what I would call a 35+ inch northern – that was so cool! Anyhow, it was a great day/evening on the lake and no wind! Sorry all you tight lippers but the word is out, eyes are bitin on Big DL!

• 6 months later...

just a heads the fargo moorhead did its annual lake clean up of big and little detroit and we missed it by a week again should have been there last week but we managed to get a little or a truck load off the ice again this year. for anybody still heading out there be very careful because there is atleast 3 wide open areas on the lake the biggest being 50 yards long and 10 to 12 feet wide.

Be careful on North Lida also as the location of the old plowed road off the north access has some VERY thin ice spots and there was open water to the bottom under a spot that had 1 inch of ice. We busted it open with a boot and were fishing through it on saturday. Kinda scary but easy not drilling a hole. One slip and you will be in the drink or worse, drop your wheeler through.

Yeah it's getting pure ugly out there. Yuck, it's depressing, I may not make it out again this year. I fell in up to my cajone's last night at the landing.. HAHA Shrinkage big time. If you do go out don't go by yourself, take a buddy and the right gear to get out if you do break through. Treat this ice as you do when you first tip toe out on the lake in late November early December.

That's only if I can't get one of my wussy friends to go out with me, lol.

Here ya about not feeling comfortable when ice is questionable. A few years ago used waders to get onto ice, once fishing kept thinking why am I doing this. Went home and decided never to press the issue again, I would rather live to see another day. Besides fishing open water is more enjoyable. Despite that late ice can be the best fishing the risk is just to 'grave'!

i prefer a flat bottom john boat and a push pole, If you break through you are in a boat, no worries.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was out burning cabbage patches today and moved one and missed another. Word at the access had it that no one really saw anything. Missed the major and minor and with the weather this afternoon no surprise! Still fun to fish with a big stick!

Been doin pretty well out there. Been consistently trying both sides of the lake in 10'-14' FOW jiggin with shiners. Caught a nice 28" out there and a few 20-23 inchers. The 28" was released to be caught another day!

Went out on Sunday morning and evening and had a blast! Vertical Jigging the weedlines out on the breaks in the middle of Big D.L. Caught a wide range of eyes from 15" to a nice 27". Kept a couple small ones to fillet and the big ones swam off to be caught again!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up over the fourth and staying on Big DL. May try to get out a couple times and wet a line for some eyes and maybe some panfish with the kids. I am not looking for specific spots but just some general information as this will be my first time on the lake.

Thanks

UNIT