• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Detroit Lake Fishing Reports

I have been trying to fish Big D for the past month and a half. I think I've tried everywhere on the lake with not much luck at all. I usually try lindy rigging with a 4-5' leader with a gold, silver, or yellow spinner topped with a leech. Anyone have any luck out there lately? Any tips would be great.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianLucky13

• eyestogills

• fisherdog19

• bigbass01

Try a bare lindy with no spinner and a crawler. Pull that around through the cabbage in about 9-14 feet of water and you should start to see better results. DL is a wonderfull crawler lake. You just have to put up with them sunnies. Oh yeh and if you do get a smaller wallaye on you better reel it up fast because a muskie will be lurking.

I agree with Ray1. I've fished it a couple time the past month and did very well on wind blow shorelines in that 10-12' range riggin'. The day I pulled 4 fish 23"-26" I was using a blue hook with chartreuse bead on a 5' fluorocarbon snell. That was earlier w/ shiners but I wouldn't hesitate to try shiners again. Lindy rigging leeches and crawlers in the same depth range are working too...again, I like the windy shoreline in the weeds. Not all shorelines are equal. When you find pockets of good weeds try zig-zagging all over the place right in that spot rather than making one pass at a certain depth.

How do keep from getting frustrated with all the weed hang-ups pulling a rig through the weeds? Maybe it's just me and how I do things, but after 15 minutes of fishing with 3 minutes of actual fishing and 12 minutes of cleaning my hook and line of snagged weeds, I'm back to open water.

I agree with Paul try using a lighter sinker. Lately I have been using bullet sinkers and they seem to cut through those pesky weeds.

A small bullet weight(1/8-1/4oz) and a #6 hook works good. As far as getting frustrated its going to happen. But a 24-29" walleye makes it worth it. There are lots of trophy fish in that lake.

Yes what ray1 says. That is my goto setup on Big D. The same for lake sallie.......

One more thing to help with the weeds. I've found that when you start to feel the weeds don't try to rip it through. Point your rod tip toward your hook and just pull back slightly. This seems to work good for me. Also pick up your speed just a bit if your really into the weeds. Sometimes for me just trying to keep the bait just over the tops of the weeds works.

Icehole, what if the cabbage weeds are all the way to the top of the water? Do you still like to be over the tops of them.

J/K Icehole its a joke. LOL

Thanks Ray1. I have fished this lake for the last few years religiously and this has been a lackluster year. I went out this morning wand had a little bit of luck. I caught a couple 16 inchers and a 6 pound bass! Used a floating crawler rig with no spinner like you said and it worked.....other than all the dang sunnies:(

Glad you caught some eyes. Keep up with it youll find some bigger ones thats for sure. A 6 pound bass isnt bad either. Im not a bass fisherman but thats a dang nice bass.

Try leeches if you can find them, and red tail chubs. Mid lake structure in 14-20 fow would be your best bet at day break and sunset. Big D isn't much of a day lake come mid summer.

• 9 months later...

Anyone know the Big and little detroit real well. I am spending the week on the lake with the family 3rd week in june. would love to have someone who knows the lake come out with me or let me jump that empty seat in your boat.

Looking probably June 14th or so to go out with someone.

let me know-

E2G

Very easy lake to learn. Not much structure and full of fish. Crappies and sunfish I would stay in the longbridge area(in between Deashot Bay and Big Detroit.) Walleyes at that time of the year I would fish the breaks around the thick cabbage in front of the Fireside restaurant or the cabbage in front of the Club House hotel. If the water temps are low sometimes the walleyes will be up shallow still. Northerns are all over the lake and bass in the same areas but not as many!! Good luck!!

Anyone know the Big and little detroit real well. I am spending the week on the lake with the family 3rd week in june. would love to have someone who knows the lake come out with me or let me jump that empty seat in your boat.

Looking probably June 21 or 22nd to go out with someone.

let me know-

E2G

I have one word for you......Fisherdog.....he knows these two lakes like the back of his hand and always seems more than willing to go out with someone. He'll see your post and respond back to you soon I'm sure.

Bran32-Anything. But of course it would be nice to pull an eye or two that week. Bass and northerns I will hunt I am sure.

I am kind of a novice when it comes to Musky. So that would only be a bonus if I fish and find one of those.

Thanks for the info Brian-

-Fisherdog--I will wait for his response

Muskie and walleyes will be the easiest to catch. But then again Im on that lake about 300 days a year. Bring this up again right before you get here and Ill give you some better and more up to date info!!

Late June can be dynamite, depending on the water temp. Last year on fathers day weekend we caught well over 100 eyes during daylight hours but it was the tail end of the shiner run and we're at least 2 weeks ahead of last year. Leeches are next in line for me once shiners are done but it turns into an evening/morning bite unless you want to fish right on the weed edge or in/through the weeds. I would have to disagree on whomever said the lake has little structure, I feel it is exactly opposite with tons of structure, weeds, and forage which makes it a tough bite at times. If you want bass shoot me an email and I'll spill the beans, muskies look for cabbage and fish the edges or if it's windy/overcast go on shallow flats. Haven't done much crappie fishing on the lake due to small size and lot's of structure to search (plus I have better lakes that I know where to go and that I will catch slabs). I'd be more than happy to take you out early in your trip so you can get an idea of where to fish the rest of your week. Once we get closer to the date you will be here, post again to see what's going on.

I would have to disagree on whomever said the lake has little structure, I feel it is exactly opposite with tons of structure, weeds, and forage which makes it a tough bite at times. .

Has some structure but nothing compared to lets say: West Battle, Pelican, and Ottertail that are near by. Ton of forage though, but a different presentation can catch a lot of fish!!!

Thanks guys. I definitely will keep my eye on this thread and put a shout out the week or two before I get up there. Sounds like a decent lake for fishin. I was told this is a hectic and busy lake. More pleasure than fishing. I get used to that with Mille Lacs, ( fishing pressure more)

One last question. Can you get a bass boat through the Longbridge area into the deadshot bay?

Yes, a boat will be able to get through there!! Unless we get a ton of rain.

It is a pleasure lake but the last couple years there has been about the same amount of muskie fishermen then pleasure boats. From June to September I fish 95 percent after dark.

Is there any kind of night bite for walleyes out there Brian?? I've never even had my boat in the water on Big D.

YES! I have caught many walleyes over 28 inches out there after dark throwing muskies lures. But as far as using walleye gear after dark from Muskie opener to ice up I really dont know(but I would think so.) But after dark in the winter time is prime!!

Might be tough getting under Longbridge as the water is up to the sides of the bridge where you used to be able to walk under. It may be doable, but it would be a tight squeeze, it will all depend on how much rain we get and if the water level goes down some. I've never seen the water so high around here.

Brian, if you fish 95% after dark, then we need to get together as I do most of mine after dark in the summer as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Any new reports from Big D this spring? Heading out tomorrow morning and wanted to see how the bite is.

Thanks

Bite has been ok. Walleyes in the 18-21 foot areas on the break. Low light periods are always the best on Big D. Crappies and sunfish are always biting around the Longbridge area!!!