• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• budboy

• fishuhalik

• reinhard1

• River Rocket

You and everyone else...I think this weekend is going to be a zoo up there. Today wasn't nearly as good as yesterday...but still caught a few. If ya cant get up early enough to be there at sunup..you might as well take your time and get there for the late afternoon bite...really slow during the main part of the day....you can still catch fish but its alot tougher...move more...and it takes alot more finesse to turn sniffers into biters. I'm sure they are getting them at different depths..but I've been fishing around 15ft.

1st timer, just registered into the forum. Have spent many hrs fishing the poke however have not been able to get there this winter yet. Going up next weekend hope to find the pannies. Ironman just two question north or south of the inland and minnows or waxies?

I was south of the island and using euros...changed frequently. Today was a tough bite...but still caught enough to make it fun.

THANKS FOR THE INFO, ONE LAST QUESTION HOW ARE THE DRIVING CONDITION ON THE LAKE? CAN YOU GET OFF THE MAIN ROADS OR DO YOU HAVE TO PARK NEAR THE ROAD AND WALK AWAYS TO GET AWAY FROM THE CROWDS IF THERE ARE ANY? MOST LIKELY GOING TO BE FISHING NORTH OF THE ISLAND.

Fished the lake yesterday. Got a few crappies and sunnies but had to constantly be hole hoping. It sure was a great day to be out there though.

Fished the poke this weekend (fri,sat and sun). Afternoon bite was the best time, from 4:00 till 6:30... fished 12-15 fow. Caught a little of everything Crappies, Sunnies and a couple of walleyes even a rock bass. Best bait overall was a small pink jigging spoon with a red treble hook with couple different colored (red,green,yellow) spikes or waxies on them. Light bite had to keep a good eye on line and electronics. North of the island and east of the road.

I am planning on hitting the lake tommorrow. Can anyone tell me what shape the north access is in?

Both accesses are fine. A little wet and some ruts, but there were even a couple cars out today. As for the fishing that is another story. Fished a few different spots. Very, Very Slow.

Heading up to Pokegama this weekend and going out of the East landing. Any one been out the last couple days? Just wondering how the ice is holding up. I'm sure it is still fishable, but is it still safe to drive the truck on?

I was up there last saturday the ice was fine as long as you stay off the plowed roads had about a foot of water on the road in some spots

Made a run there this a.m.( fri. 3/10/10 ) the access on the south had lots of

water around it. The north end by the dining club was also wet. I tryed to go out but with 85 old dad wanting to ride in snowmobile trailer behind 4-wheeler but the ice was to busted by shore. It looked very wet out there!

• 4 weeks later...

Fished pokegama last Sunday.

Threw everything at em but the kitchen sink.

Shallow, deep, shallower, troll, drop line, ninnow, waxxie, plastics.

Nuthin.

Fished N.E. side of lake, around the island and a few 19ft. holes.

Electrics may have helped find suspended fish. (I forgot mine)

No dock in yet for launching boats at either landing.

Good luck.

The dock is in at the south landing, but no action in the shallows yet. There is no dock at the north landing, not even on shore right now.

Was on the snake river right outside the entrance to Pokegama and got some nice white crappies Tuesday evening about 16 or so some were 10-11 inchers.

heading to Sturgeon lake later this afternoon.

Bob

• 2 months later...

I fish the river and the lake for Bass and Pike but have had little luck this year with the water being so high this late in the season, anyone else having difficulty?

I have had a hard time with the bass but the pike are still pretty active for me so far. I hope the water level drops to near normal soon.

I will be out in the morning trying to find what they are biting on. Hopefully by Tuesday I will find something that works.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.